News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

"What I enjoy most about being a Ted Cruz supporter [is] I have not once had to make an excuse for something he has done. ...Not once.
No justifying something stupid he's said."
How about the "No man who doesn't begin any morning on his knees is not fit to be commander in chief [of America]?" (Phrasing, by the way.)

what is shitpost

mikey

how is that saying something stupid?
I mean, doesn't it show humility at least?
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

He's saying that people who don't pray (read: atheists) aren't fit to lead this country.
And honestly if you're concerned about humility, why not just do your own best and let Sky Daddy help the starving kids in Africa?
Assuming he even cares about this rock; on the grander scale we're so insignificant I'd be surprised if he really cares only about the people on this planet and not the plethora of other planets likely to have life on them.
what is shitpost

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 08, 2016, 04:33:44 PMHe's saying that people who don't pray (read: atheists) aren't fit to lead this country.
so he thinks atheists aren't fit to lead america.  Religious belief is a huge factor in what makes america america, so doesn't he have a point?  I don't see why anyone would have to apologize for a statement like that.
Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 08, 2016, 04:33:44 PMAnd honestly if you're concerned about humility, why not just do your own best and let Sky Daddy help the starving kids in Africa?
If you were humble, then wouldn't you do your best to help others be better, instead of bettering yourself only?
Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 08, 2016, 04:33:44 PMAssuming he even cares about this rock; on the grander scale we're so insignificant I'd be surprised if he really cares only about the people on this planet and not the plethora of other planets likely to have life on them.
Why can't he care about all of it?

Either way, you sound really salty right now.  I had no idea you had so much pent-up anger toward pious folk
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

people who don't pray don't have to be atheists ._.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PMso he thinks atheists aren't fit to lead america.  Religious belief is a huge factor in what makes america america, so doesn't he have a point?  I don't see why anyone would have to apologize for a statement like that.
What is "american", what are "american values", how can anyone find those values or tell what they are, if they even exist? Times change, values change, where can you draw the line where values shouldn't change? Point is, that's based on raw generalizations, so it's not a valid reason. Just because someone doesn't do something, it can't lower the potential of anything one can do. It's just flawed reasoning. A person is fit to lead America if people vote him as the leader, it's up to democracy. Wouldn't that tell you more about being capable of representing "american" values?

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 08, 2016, 04:33:44 PMAnd honestly if you're concerned about humility, why not just do your own best and let Sky Daddy help the starving kids in Africa?
before you go any further, I just want to point out how you don't need to be unnecessarily disrespectful just to possibly hurt someone's feelings.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 03:54:44 PMI mean, doesn't it show humility at least?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PMIf you were humble, then wouldn't you do your best to help others be better, instead of bettering yourself only?
Yeah praying can show humility, but it also doesn't mean anyone who doesn't pray or is focused on improving themselves can't be more or just as humble.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 08, 2016, 04:33:44 PMAssuming he even cares about this rock; on the grander scale we're so insignificant I'd be surprised if he really cares only about the people on this planet and not the plethora of other planets likely to have life on them.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PMWhy can't he care about all of it?
Literally no point in arguing to prove biased opinions frens, in fact that should be kept out when arguing

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PMEither way, you sound really salty right now.  I had no idea you had so much pent-up anger toward pious folk
There's no need whatsoever to personally attack or flamebait like that, especially when you've been expressing a mineral-filled mind here like
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 23, 2015, 09:05:20 PMWaddle Bro:
What the heck why is this guy so invested in American politics, seems fishy, not gonna listen to anything he says
x)

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PMso he thinks atheists aren't fit to lead america.  Religious belief is a huge factor in what makes america america, so doesn't he have a point?

"The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion..."
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

KefkaticFanatic

pastafarians for president

me irl
[close]

SuperFireKirby

WHO SAID TED CRUZ DOESN'T SAY OR DO STUPID THINGS?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FireArrow

lmao I've never seen anything more american
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Noc, I thought we're supposed to abide by the constitution? It makes it clear that no religious test is to be ever required for for office.
If anyone should be getting help from God, it certainly isn't the US. We dug ourselves into the trench we're in now with terrible policy.
The fact that you can say "eh he thinks atheists aren't fit for office because they're atheists" speaks much of your character. If you honestly think an atheist is less of a viable candidate purely because they lack God, look into this study;
http://fusion.net/story/228159/study-religious-kids-selfish/
Here's an exact quote:
"Researchers also found an inverse relationship between observance level and generosity — children from more religious homes were found to be more selfish than their less religious counterparts."
what is shitpost

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 09, 2016, 08:33:02 PMNoc, I thought we're supposed to abide by the constitution? It makes it clear that no religious test is to be ever required for for office.
If anyone should be getting help from God, it certainly isn't the US. We dug ourselves into the trench we're in now with terrible policy.
The fact that you can say "eh he thinks atheists aren't fit for office because they're atheists" speaks much of your character. If you honestly think an atheist is less of a viable candidate purely because they lack God, look into this study;
http://fusion.net/story/228159/study-religious-kids-selfish/
Here's an exact quote:
"Researchers also found an inverse relationship between observance level and generosity — children from more religious homes were found to be more selfish than their less religious counterparts."

dude you're freaking out right now.  The statement he made REALLY doesn't need an "I'm sorry, he's confused" attachment by some other person like 80% of things Donald Trump has said, and that's all we're talking about.  You're starting to get really emotional about this aren't you
unmotivated

Dude

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 09, 2016, 09:07:20 PMdude you're freaking out right now.  The statement he made REALLY doesn't need an "I'm sorry, he's confused" attachment by some other person like 80% of things Donald Trump has said, and that's all we're talking about.  You're starting to get really emotional about this aren't you
Never gave Trump a free pass, nor have I; but the article originally posted is absolutely stupid.
And no, I'm actually quite happy right now, so me "getting emotional" about this is me just not liking irrationality.
And yes, it does need an "I'm sorry, he's confused", just as if he attacked any other minority.
Imagine he had said something to the effect of "Jews aren't capable of being commander in chief since they don't believe in Jesus".
If someone said this exact same thing, but they were Muslim and constantly praised Allah like GOP candidates praise God and Jesus, they'd be called batshit by just about everyone. And you'd be right to call them that! But in the same respect, saying that people who simply don't believe in God (or anyone who doesn't pray, since, as Waddle pointed out, his comment wasn't specifically about atheists, but it's hardly ever that people think of Buddhists or Jains as immoral) is therefore an ineffective leader is just stupid, and dickish.
And yes, I don't care for you irrationally backing this up as you seem to have been doing.
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 09, 2016, 09:00:47 PMI'm not sure if I have confidence in these results.
Responding with Reddit? Mkay..
They actually acknowledge in the thread that the experiment was controlled for the things the OP of that thread was talking about.
what is shitpost

Bubbles

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 09, 2016, 07:53:10 PMWHO SAID TED CRUZ DOESN'T SAY OR DO STUPID THINGS?
hi sfk :-)