News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

What do you suggest we call them then? Technically they oppress homosexuals because of that with their "religious freedom" so they can't get married ie that bitch in Kentucky so should we call them sexualitists?

Dudeman

Should we call gay people heterophobes for similar reasons?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 08, 2015, 01:47:07 PMpls stop using the word homophobe to describe people who view homosexuality as morally wrong.  Thanks.
Alright, what word would you prefer? Because, I apologize in advanced, but the only other word that comes to mind is "bigotry".
what is shitpost

Dude

Quote from: Dudeman on September 08, 2015, 02:10:19 PMShould we call gay people heterophobes for similar reasons?
since when are gay people against people getting married?

Dudeman

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 08, 2015, 02:14:22 PMAlright, what word would you prefer? Because, I apologize in advanced, but the only other word that comes to mind is "bigotry".
How about "people who prefer homosexuality" and "people who prefer heterosexuality"? Anything wrong with those terms?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I was mainly referring to NoS.
But those terms don't fit into a personal attack very well the same way "homophobe!" does ;)
In all seriousness, it's a bit clunky and someone could probably make a latin version of it that flows off the tongue better  ::)
what is shitpost

Dudeman

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 08, 2015, 02:20:14 PMBut those terms don't fit into a personal attack very well the same way "homophobe!" does ;)
I just find it funny that there isn't an equivalent term from the straight side of things.

Dude

Quote from: Dudeman on September 08, 2015, 02:10:19 PMShould we call gay people heterophobes for similar reasons?
wait I keep reading this and get more and more confused

What possible reasons could there be?

Waddle Bro

Quote from: blueflower999 on September 08, 2015, 12:58:22 PMI'm trying to understand exactly what this line was intended to mean, but it doesn't really hold no matter how I look at it. Labeling something as "offensive" doesn't automatically make it incorrect. That makes absolutely no sense. This notion of "Everyone has to think the same way as I do or else I'm going to get offended!!!" is really silly and is against both pluralism (which is a value that the left holds near and dear!) and all common sense.
Actually considering how the definition of offensive is subjective, so there is no universal definition for what can be defined as offensive. So it's technically perfectly okay for someone to label just things that happens to be incorrect as offensive, meaning it'd be justified for the person to view everything that's offensive as incorrect.
You worded it poorly, but the leftist view sees that everyone has the right to be upset about anything at any time. You shouldn't ever question the person who is offended by anything but rather the thing the person is offended about, when trying to define "should that person be offended by that?".
With all due respect, it's arrogant try to raise your argument's point with "it makes no sense" or "it defies all common sense", especially when your point is questionable. Humble alternatives for it are fe. "it makes no sense to me" or "i just don't get it", instead of speaking as if you'd represent the entire universe.

Quote from: blueflower999 on September 08, 2015, 12:58:22 PMSecondly, political correctness is not supposed to be objectively correct or incorrect. If politically correct was synonymous with correct, then why even add the politically in front? I Googled "politically correct" definition, and essentially it means neutral and unoffensive. Not right and not wrong, but intended to not insult anyone. And that's fine. The problem arises when people start calling others "politically incorrect" for holding different viewpoints than them, and then the left becomes the Spanish Inquisition or the lynch mob with torches and pitchforks to burn the heretic.
But should you be offended in the first place if someone is correct?
also you are close-mindedly implying that the left becomes a lynch mob only because some one sees things differently, which is against the left message. Just because someone sees things differently, doesn't make the other viewpoint wrong, or justified just because people have a right to have different viewpoints.
which gets me to my next point
The reason the "freedom" of speech is and should be restricted, is because it can be abused to undermine an individual's other rights, like equality. Like people use it to justify racism, which would allow people to be seen unequally. It should be restricted like any other "freedoms" that contradict other rights. like they restricted the "freedom of stabbing people to death".
Though it's still notable how these "human rights" are just there to keep up the society and actually are still questionable. for example, the freedom of taking someone else's life can still be ethically arguable.

ninja'd
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 08, 2015, 01:47:07 PMpls stop using the word homophobe to describe people who view homosexuality as morally wrong.  Thanks.
except it's the definition of a homophobe, because it discrimination if you see heterosexuality as right and homosexuality as wrong.
do you see gay people discriminating straights, because i'm pretty sure the gays are the only oppressed minority just saying.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

what is shitpost

Sebastian

I promised myself I wouldn't be involved in anything controversial on NSM again but I just wanna answer this question.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on September 08, 2015, 02:23:17 PMdo you see gay people discriminating straights, because i'm pretty sure the gays are the only oppressed minority just saying.
Yes. My parents know some gay people and they have a cow about heterosexuality all the time.

Dude

Have you see this firsthand or just heard it from your insanely Christian parents?

Sebastian

Yes. I've seen this first hand.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 08, 2015, 02:26:40 PMYou're just talking about sexuality, right?
If not,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobia_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

You forgot this sooty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Christian_sentiment
Christians are being killed in China for what they believe. Btw, Christians are killed and discriminated against just as much if not more than Atheists.

I don't agree with Islams but I don't kill them either.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 08, 2015, 02:28:01 PMYes. My parents know some gay people and they have a cow about heterosexuality all the time.
Yeah I bet those gay people are those same ones that are keeping you from getting married and having children all the time!!!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: mariolegofan on September 08, 2015, 02:34:11 PMYou forgot this sooty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Christian_sentiment
Christians are being killed in China for what they believe. Btw, Christians are killed and discriminated against just as much if not more than Atheists.

I don't agree with Islams but I don't kill them either.
As are atheists in the middle east.
You're also cherry picking verses, and forgetting verses like Psalms 137:9;
"Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them upon the rocks."
And you'd be interested to know that had you kept going, the quote you referenced happens to refer to when Muslims (and not Islams as you called them) are at war.
what is shitpost