Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

the solution is simple
lower the minimum wage in 1970
unmotivated

Ruto

You're assuming they actually report their income and assets like everyone else. They don't (always).

The money stashed overseas don't get taxed. Some forms of income aren't taxed or they do at a much lower rate, and people put their money in things like property rather than let it sit in a bank. I'm saying that if you want to live in a country with an army, coast guard and highways, you should really pay for it. It's not a punishment. Otherwise, spend your billions on a private army, plane, roads, defense/intelligence and see if you're better off paying it yourself or pooling your money together with 300 million other people for it.

In NY, the $15/hour wage is actually only for fast food workers because they fought for it. One of the reasons was so they don't have to be dependent on welfare to live. I guess we'll have to wait to see how that works. Personally I don't think $15 is even enough for childcare (how much is a daycare per hour? I get paid about $10-$12 per hour babysitting ._.) so maybe that's why they still want government assistance for that.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Dude on August 11, 2015, 02:02:49 PMOr cut the the higher up's salaries
This is easier said than done. Do you really think the CEO of a massive company would cut his salary? He'd say, "why should I? I'm the CEO, after all," and nothing would change. Since it's the higher ups who decide their own salaries, there's now way they'd change them.
And, besides, say a company has 500,000 employees, and the CEO cuts his wage by 2 million and gives that two mill to the lower downs. They would only see a wage increase of $4.00 per year. I am against CEOs taking massive portions of the profits. But you have to remember, when it gets spread around, it thins out. This isn't to say that the CEO's wages shouldn't be cut, but that cutting them may not have as big of an impact as you may think. In fact, that extra 2 mill would probably just go toward more R and D, possibly by an outside company, rather than to the employees.

Dude

Then due to the massive amounts of people leaving company "Wedontpayenough" for company "Wepaywell" I'm sure "Wedontpayenough" will probably go out of business, and it serves them right.

Ruto

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 11, 2015, 05:13:39 PMAnd, besides, say a company has 500,000 employees, and the CEO cuts his wage by 2 million and gives that two mill to the lower downs.

Lmao 500,000 is 1/6E3 of the population of the US. There aren't that many workers! There are 90,000 in the US, and it took a bit of digging but I'm seeing the CEO's salary was $27 million in 2012? This is just the CEO (and 2012), not counting the entire board of executives, each with a salary of tens of millions...and how much did McDonald's profit last year? In the billions? The workers at the bottom would notice an increase.

No one would vote for their own pay cut, but 1) fire half the staff and lose business/productivity/raise prices which would be bad for business 2) move of of the US and do business without labor laws (bad idea, most people probably can't afford to eat at McDonald's often enough in those countries). It's so much easier to stay in the US and pay taxes. People will actually eat fast food here.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Maelstrom

I really, truly belive that McDonald's will be fully automated by robots in the next 10-15 years. Even with the minimum wage as it is labor is still one of the biggest costs. Eliminating thst makes number 1 a viable option.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on August 11, 2015, 05:37:43 PMLmao 500,000 is 1/6 of the population of the US.
Um...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Sebastian

Quote from: Bubbles on August 11, 2015, 07:27:08 PMMcDonald's is already beginning to install touchscreens instead of cashiers taking orders.
That's pretty cool. A lot of shops in our downtown area which is really fancy have recently updated to those IPad thingys.

ZeldaFan

Quote from: Ruto on August 11, 2015, 05:37:43 PMLmao 500,000 is 1/6 of the population of the US. There aren't that many workers! There are 90,000 in the US, and it took a bit of digging but I'm seeing the CEO's salary was $27 million in 2012?
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 11, 2015, 07:44:16 PMUm...

Yeah sorry, maybe it was a typo... Your point made sense but 500,000 is more like 1/635 of the US

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Pianist Da Sootopolis

The US is quite populated. Current population is around 320 million IIRC.
Though MLF would have you believe it's underpopulated and that people just want you to get abortions  ::)
jk mlf it was a joke
what is shitpost

mikey

Plenty of people believe abortion is wrong without it having anything to do with population.  Don't bring it up
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I was making a joke, in reference to a joke that MLF made in the debate thread.
I even wrote, albeit in small text,
Quotejk mlf it was a joke
what is shitpost

SlowPokemon

Do you have a sensor or filter for what is acceptable to say or joke about tho
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I have one, just not super restrictive.
And I wouldn't normally just attack MLF like that, even though I disagree with him. I was referencing a joke he made.
what is shitpost