News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

FireArrow

The point you're missing is that the robot doesn't know if has a creator or not. Atheists and agnostics visit their parents just as much as religious people do, so it's not like we refuse to give gratitude towards people who deserve it. If a creator revealed himself to us, we would respect him/her just as much as you would, we just choose not spend a lot of time and money worshiping something who we don't know exists. Even then, we would have to choose which creator we wanted to worship, given that many people claim there to be a different one.

It's kind of a bad analogy in the first place, because a caring robotics champion doesn't throw his ungrateful robots into a pit of eternal damnation. I, and I'm assuming bubbles too, believe that if there was a loving creator, s/he wants us to to try to be a good person and live life to the fullest above anything else. If s/he sends us to hell anyways just because we didn't worship him/her, then quite frankly s/he's a narcissistic dickbutt that isn't worth worshiping.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

EFitTrainr

The idea of a god frequently stems from the unknown. Anything can be a god. Fire for the neanderthals, the sun for later civilizations, and science for us today.
I've been reading a lot about science (Especially Astrophysics, Gen. Physics, and Theoretical Physics.)

On a subatomic level, there is a point where nothing is truly touching anything. The only thing filling the void between particles is energy, which ties things together.

As I was raised to be a devout catholic, I know that a belief shared by different versions of Christianity is that a god would be in everything and everyone, yet also existing outside our known universe. Additionally, god is called "the light" multiple times in the bible. Light is an interesting thing. It is a form of visible energy, while also having non-visible wavelengths. This seems related to energy existing between everything, and still being outside something we can truly observe.

...sadly, I don't know where I was going with this, but it's still interesting.
I like food.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 12:46:54 AMthen quite frankly s/he's a narcissistic dickbutt that isn't worth worshiping.
I think what Nocturne was trying to say is that this bit of reasoning is incredibly self-centered (though I could be misunderstanding him as well)?
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

The first key to being able to see why worship of a god would make sense is to see said god as the center of perspective around whom history and the universe is primarily based. If one's self is the aforementioned focus, it is illogical to believe in a god much less to worship one.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FireArrow

Yes I agree, if God exists in the way you claim we should definitly show our gratitude. We don't know if a creator exists or not, so we can't assume his position on things and know for certain that we've made the right choice. Bleh I'm having trouble putting this into words... imagine if a gift appeared on your front door step with no card, you have absolutely no idea witch god you got this from or possibly even gift-genisis. Should it be expected of you to write a thank you card? Can the gift giver, forgetful or pusposefully ambiguous, really hold it against you for not writing one? Is it reasonable for him to lock you in a  Saharan prison with no air conditioning for the rest of your life for not doing so?

JDMEK5

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 08:32:24 AMYes I agree, if God exists in the way you claim we should definitly show our gratitude. We don't know if a creator exists or not,
This is where, faith. Definition of Faith: "firm belief in something for which there is no proof". Whether you argue the existence of a god or not, both are steps of faith. The only way to not involve faith is to say that you just aren't sure and back that up with an open mind.

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 08:32:24 AMBleh I'm having trouble putting this into words... imagine if a gift appeared on your front door step with no card, you have absolutely no idea witch god you got this from or possibly even gift-genisis.
Religions would say that there is a card and that that card is their holy writings. Be it from said god or from a prophet.

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 08:32:24 AMCan the gift giver, forgetful or pusposefully ambiguous, really hold it against you for not writing one? Is it reasonable for him to lock you in a  Saharan prison with no air conditioning for the rest of your life for not doing so?
This depends on the religion. Some believe in hell for those who don't believe in the god, some believe in hell for those who do much wrong, etc. Either way I am of the opinion that regardless of who the gift is from, it is a moral duty of gratitude to use the gift and treasure it; namely in contrast to throwing it away or using it for a purpose it clearly wasn't intended for.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: JDMEK5 on November 30, 2015, 01:02:29 PMThis is where, faith. Definition of Faith: "firm belief in something for which there is no proof". Whether you argue the existence of a god or not, both are steps of faith. The only way to not involve faith is to say that you just aren't sure and back that up with an open mind.
Not really; you can also have a lack of belief (which is the definition of atheism, by the way), and that specifically is saying "I have a lack of faith in _____."
Most of us all have a lack of faith in the Greek pantheon, the Norse gods, and I doubt there are any Hindus here (they worship Shiva, Krishna, and Lakshmi IIRC, but correct me if I'm wrong on that).
what is shitpost

FireArrow

Quote from: JDMEK5 on November 30, 2015, 01:02:29 PMThis is where, faith. Definition of Faith: "firm belief in something for which there is no proof". Whether you argue the existence of a god or not, both are steps of faith. The only way to not involve faith is to say that you just aren't sure and back that up with an open mind.

I feel like your incorrectly applying that the 3rd sentence is illogical or unlikely. Saying "there is absolutely no god" and "there absolutely is a god" are both artifacts of faith. Anyone truly open to the possibility of being wrong would fall under your 3rd sentence.

Keep in mind, choosing not believing in a specific religion requires no faith since it's possible to evaluate the legitimacy of some of the more terrestrial claims.

QuoteReligions would say that there is a card and that that card is their holy writings. Be it from said god or from a prophet.

You're right. Imagine the next day you received multiple contradictory cards with it being possible that they're all lying, the same logic still applies.

QuoteThis depends on the religion. Some believe in hell for those who don't believe in the god, some believe in hell for those who do much wrong, etc. Either way I am of the opinion that regardless of who the gift is from, it is a moral duty of gratitude to use the gift and treasure it; namely in contrast to throwing it away or using it for a purpose it clearly wasn't intended for.

I completely agree. Make the most of your life, whether it be a gift from god or metaphorical mother nature. This brings us back to the original point, if the real god is from one of those religions that condemns people who don't worship, then I have no respect for that god and would not worship him anyways. If the real god was from a religion that just wants us to be good, happy people, then he's won't send me to hell for making my decision to the best of my abilities. If there is no god then I didn't waste my life preparing for a nonexistent afterlife.

Going into pure opinion now:
If you choose to believe in a vengeful god, you're a coward looking for empty self glory at the expense of others.
If you choose to believe in a loving god, I respect your faith and I think such a belief will bring mostly good things to you and other people.

JDMEK5

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 02:56:54 PMI feel like your incorrectly applying that the 3rd sentence is illogical or unlikely. Saying "there is absolutely no god" and "there absolutely is a god" are both artifacts of faith. Anyone truly open to the possibility of being wrong would fall under your 3rd sentence.
That's what I meant.

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 02:56:54 PMKeep in mind, choosing not believing in a specific religion requires no faith since it's possible to evaluate the legitimacy of some of the more terrestrial claims.
Aye.

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 02:56:54 PMYou're right. Imagine the next day you received multiple contradictory cards with it being possible that they're all lying, the same logic still applies.
Yes. Then it would be like religion-shopping.

Quote from: FireArrow on November 30, 2015, 02:56:54 PMI completely agree. Make the most of your life, whether it be a gift from god or metaphorical mother nature. This brings us back to the original point, if the real god is from one of those religions that condemns people who don't worship, then I have no respect for that god and would not worship him anyways. If the real god was from a religion that just wants us to be good, happy people, then he's won't send me to hell for making my decision to the best of my abilities. If there is no god then I didn't waste my life preparing for a nonexistent afterlife.
Indeed.

On a side note: Look at us being all civilized and having a deep discussion without calling each other bigots and stuff. lol

My Arrangements

Bespinben

I made a transcription of Aaliyah Rose's "Mary Did You Know" as a gift for my mom this Christmas. Hopefully it's easier to pick-up & play than my usual fare.

Notation: [MIDI] [MUS] [PDF]

Audio Demo: [MP3]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

mikey

got an error on the pdf :/
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

So apparently Sweden is supposed to be the most Atheistic country. With like 90% of population being Atheists.

.... and then you realize that if you just split the word atheist into 2 words ... you get "a theist".

Illuminati confirmed ...
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

FireArrow

E. Gadd Industries

In which direction?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]