News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Waddle I'm laughing did you just collectively refer to Christianity as the "god fandom"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

Just because I'm skimming posts doesn't mean I don't want to participate, Einstein

Waddle Bro

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 14, 2015, 09:15:54 AMYou'd be surprised how much of a motivator fear can be, a lot of those soldiers could've been shot for not following orders. Besides, following orders is a big deal in the military; not exactly a great place for fostering freedom of expression as it defeats the purpose of a chain of command.
Yeah the dark sides of communitarianism were really extreme. But atm I'm wondering can a person be capable of acting against their own morals, at least now that I've been talking about existentialism and Nietzsche.

In a Nazi solider's case, it is clear that they then valued their own life over sparing the Jewish people. If a person really thinks what they do is wrong, they shouldn't have a motive to do that, but they still do the thing nevertheless. Wouldn't it be still justified to go with an attitude like "kill or be killed", or is it wrong, what can define what you do is wrong? Morality is subjective and it can't come from irrationality. So can you deep down lie and act against your own self? What other measure would define the rightfulness of an action but you? Though unlike with nihilism, with this mindset values exist, but values and morals are defined by the individual themselves.
But everything I just talked about is based on the idea of values are subjective, and not objective or tied to a time, place and situation.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 14, 2015, 10:11:10 AMWaddle I'm laughing did you just collectively refer to Christianity as the "god fandom"
not exactly because there are other monotheistic religions with a god, but i didn't know how else to say it so that I wouldn't be ignoring the other religions
meant every religious people thoo. but deep down what separates a religious order from a fandom

Bubbles

Waddle we have the same opinion on religion and I love it :D

Me personally, I am very conscious of what effect my actions may have on others. I know before I do something if it's going to make me a bad person (through the eyes of others, the most common outlook anyway). I know lots of people struggle with wanting meaning or dictation to what they should be doing with their life, so I know religion is far from unnecessary. People need guidance.

So if a God exists, they'd be fine with me not directly "worshipping" them because I'm too busy enjoying life and making the most of it for me and other people. If they aren't forgiving or loving enough to respect that, then I wouldn't want to be worshipping them anyway.

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Waddle Bro on November 14, 2015, 12:46:29 PMBut atm I'm wondering can a person be capable of acting against their own morals, at least now that I've been talking about existentialism and Nietzsche.

You've heard of this experiment before, haven't you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

FireArrow

Quote from: Bubbles on November 14, 2015, 03:53:27 PMSo if a God exists, they'd be fine with me not directly "worshipping" them because I'm too busy enjoying life and making the most of it for me and other people. If they aren't forgiving or loving enough to respect that, then I wouldn't want to be worshipping them anyway.

^This why I don't really think about or adhere to any religion in day to day life.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Quote from: Bubbles on November 14, 2015, 03:53:27 PMSo if a God exists, they'd be fine with me not directly "worshipping" them because I'm too busy enjoying life and making the most of it for me and other people. If they aren't forgiving or loving enough to respect that, then I wouldn't want to be worshipping them anyway.
in that case I'd say you're missing the point
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 26, 2015, 05:25:47 PMhow
No but I'd like to know this too. I'm pretty comfortable with my belief right now but I'm open to other options if they're reasonable enough

Bubbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 26, 2015, 12:31:48 PMin that case I'd say you're missing the point
Knock knock Noc-y Noc!! I wanna know what you meant please

Dudeman

Quote from: Bubbles on November 29, 2015, 09:38:55 PMKnock knock Noc-y Noc!! I wanna know what you meant please
At the risk of my non-existent reputation I'll try and take a stab at it.
I think what he means is that you're putting worshipping the god and enjoying life with the people around you in two separate categories, as if you can't worship a god and enjoy life at the same time. In fact, religion would say that you can't effectively enjoy life unless you spend part of it worshipping the god. Now, if you think worship and enjoyment are two separate things, you might want to rethink your definition of worship.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bubbles

It's not that I think worship and enjoyment of life are separate, but that, at the simplest level, worship is meant to lead to enjoyment. If you're truly comfortable enough living without worship and you're really confident in your happiness, I don't see why you should pick a religion to believe in and to practice if you've already reached the goal. If you're only worshipping to have something to worship it does get annoying, speaking from personal experience of 12 years and counting of religious schooling

mikey

The problem is I'm really bad at explaining, but I'll try my best.  Let's pretend you made a happy little robot.  You're a genius who finally developed artificial intelligence.  You treat this robot like your kid, and whenever they do something great, you feel proud.  Whenever they turn to you and say, "I'm glad you're taking care of me", you feel the robot's love that you put into it.  Then, that robot turns 18.  It runs off and does whatever they feel like.  They never come home to hug you and love you anymore.  And you're still proud of the great things they're doing, but more than anything you feel sad that they never talk to you now.  You just want them to be happy, but you still can't help but feel like they should visit you more often.  It's true that you're glad they're off doing their own thing, but would it really be too much to ask for their gratitude in return?
unmotivated

Bubbles

I'll counter your robot story with another robot story!!

You yourself are a little happy robot. You grew up alone though, and you don't really have any idea who your parents are. Because you're a robot, you're not even sure if you have parents at all! Despite that you're still really happy and you decide to just let it go instead of worrying about finding them or finding out if they even exist. Some of your robot friends are looking and seem to have found their parents, but they're just as happy as you so it doesn't bother you that they might have more than you. You're just happy to be there and that's what counts.

In your case, it makes sense to feel sad that your robot never talks to you again, but you can't force them to come back to you when they're finding happiness in other places. They might not even remember you exist because, you know, robot memories are really short or something. Any robot who is extremely happy is also extremely grateful, so you shouldn't worry that they don't talk to you.

mikey

We just told the same story from different perspectives, Bubbles
unmotivated