News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on August 10, 2015, 09:01:43 PMDude, come on:

So every religion is secretly Christianity, it's just that no one knows it?
oh come on that's not even close to what he said.  Please.
unmotivated

Dude

well it can be interpreted that way so...

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 09:04:49 PMoh come on that's not even close to what he said.  Please.

He said Christianity is having a relationship with god, nothing more nothing less.

Every modern religion with a deity requires a relationship with god.

Transitive property of logic (if a = b and b = c, then a = c) would dictate:

Christianity = Every religion. To make this a fallacy, there would have to be more to Christianity than just having a relationship with god, making MLF's statement untrue.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Quote from: FireArrow on August 10, 2015, 09:08:42 PMHe said Christianity is having a relationship with god, nothing more nothing less.

Christianity = Every religion. To make this a fallacy, there would have to be more to Christianity than just having a relationship with god, making MLF's statement untrue.
There really isn't much more to Christianity than having a relationship with God.....

Now for the stats:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
(Yes, using stats is very low XD I'm tired)
According to this^ Christianity rules in popularity. You may think that everything doesn't revolve around Christianity ( I don't either. It revolves around God) but it is the most popular religion in the world.

Anyway, I'm gonna end it here. I'm super tired and need sleep :p
I just wanna say thanks for respecting my/our opinions, guys :)
I remember a few years ago when we got into little discussions they always ended in hurt feelings, flame wars, and mod locking XD

Dude

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 10, 2015, 09:14:29 PMNow for the stats:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
(Yes, using stats is very low XD I'm tired)
According to this^ Christianity rules in popularity. You may think that everything doesn't revolve around Christianity ( I don't either. It revolves around God) but it is the most popular religion in the world.
what is the point of this

Xbox is popular but that doesn't make it the best

Ruto

Quote from: Dude on August 10, 2015, 09:17:38 PMwhat is the point of this

*high fives*

Quote from: FireArrow on August 10, 2015, 09:08:42 PMHe said Christianity is having a relationship with god, nothing more nothing less.

My observation is that he can't look past what he's been told about Christianity and he doesn't realize it. What is that called again???

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Sebastian

Quote from: Dude on August 10, 2015, 09:17:38 PMwhat is the point of this
Quote from: mariolegofan on August 10, 2015, 09:14:29 PMstats is very low XD I'm tired

Wait.....XBOX ISNT THE BEST?

Quote from: Ruto on August 10, 2015, 09:22:32 PMMy observation is that he can't look past what he's been told about Christianity and he doesn't realize it. What is that called again???
I've studied a lot of stuff in my day about religion and whatnot. I came to the conclusion about Christianity on my own.

And I can remember when you couldn't look past what you knew about a certain something too *cough*

FierceDeity

guys wait we were doing so well

MaestroUGC

I prefer the philosophy that God is a fourth dimensional being of sorts who exists beyond our narrow concept of reality. As an extension of that I have no issue with the idea that he made the universe. That said, and if that is the case, then it's doubtful he has a vested interest in anything happening on this little rock we call Earth.

Think about it, the universe is over 13 billion years old, yet the average human won't even live a full hundred years. God, by necessity of most definitions of an omnipotent God, would have to exist beyond our concept of time and relate more to the time scale of the whole universe. Since we cannot readily percieve such a vast stretch of time, let's condense the entire history of the universe into a single year, the Cosmic Calendar. If the Big Bang is the first second of Jan 1st, then the first humans (as in the first ones to use tools) came into being Dec 22, 22:24. To put that into closer context, the US has barely been around for a second. The average human life lasts for 1/4 of a second. That's less than the time it takes to blink.

Secondly, we're all on a rock circling an average star, in a typical galaxy, adrift in a seemingly infinite sea of other galaxies we call the Observable Universe. On top of that we only exist for a fraction of a second, and we're not even the most populous life form on the planet. If God is out there watching, none of us are around long enough for him to notice. On top of that, if he is omnipotent, why would he even begin to care about what we do? The Universe may very well be infinite, yet he chooses some random rock to focus on?

He may have designed and created the universe, but why would you mess with a well designed machine when there's nothing wrong with it? There is a great order to the universe that we are slowly starting to understand, and if there us a God he will reveal himself in the math and science that governs our universe.

It's a nice comfort thinking there's something out there watching over us, and there may very be. But our existence is so brief and feeble that it begs the question why something like God would even care? So he can judge us and take us to Heaven? I mean life here could be paradise, but there are so many conflicting world views that it renders that very improbable when factoring in the nature of human reasoning and perception. So he's just there to offer a reward for being good people? If that's the case then what's the point of even making the universe? If the universe has an ultimate fate, that he would know since he's omnipotent, then it makes the whole idea of Heaven flawed as it's fundamentally preordained who goes to heaven. And if that's the case then it's not a reward, it's a pending payment for just existing.

And if that's the case it renders the need for a system of faith, especially ones where such a thing is not only promised but a core center if belief, not only meaningless in how they go about it, but utterly irrelevant in terms of which one is "correct". At the end of the day I do believe in the possibility of God as the grand Architect or Engineer of this universe, but thats about it.

This wraps up this edition of Maestro PhilosophyTM
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FireArrow

Yay, a theory that builds a hypothesis from evidence rather than evidence made to support a preexisting conclusion.

Ruto

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 10, 2015, 09:26:27 PMWait.....XBOX ISNT THE BEST?

I've studied a lot of stuff in my day about religion and whatnot. I came to the conclusion about Christianity on my own.

And I can remember when you couldn't look past what you knew about a certain something too *cough*

No, I'm saying that you refuse to consider any possibility you could be wrong, or there's more to what you've been told. There is no point in debating or discussion if you won't consider what other people say and respectfully defend yourself with facts or logic.

Oh look here, trying to escalate it with a personal attack, huh?

@Maestro
Sounds like a mix of Neil deGrasse Tyson and the priest that taught my philosophy/logic class with a bit of that crazier guy that taught my other philosophy class. Maybe with some of the founding myth of Hyrule too. I think of all creation myths that has to be one of my favorites, even if it's not the most creative :P

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

The one thing I'm mad about here is you guys twisting MLF's words.

QuoteHe said Christianity is having a relationship with god, nothing more nothing less.

He said Christianity is having a relationship with god, nothing more nothing less.

this much is true.  What you're making up is that Christianity is all religions.  He never said that.

QuoteThe only thing Christianity is is a relationship with God.
All Christianity is a relationship with god.  Not all relationships with god are Christianity.

so stop.
unmotivated

Dude

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 09:47:54 PMAll Christianity is a relationship with god.  Not all relationships with god are Christianity.
ok this is what he should have said instead in order to not create confusion.

but he didn't, so wahhh

FireArrow

Let me sum up your post noc:

1/5 = 20%

20% = .2

this much is true. What you're making up is that 1/5 = .2. He never said that.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 09:47:54 PMAll Christianity is a relationship with god.  Not all relationships with god are Christianity.

So you mean to say that Christianity is a christian relationship with god that entails christian customs beyond just merely having a relationship with god?

Dude

No, he's saying like...

All men are people, but not all people are men