News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Lol but let's go back to your scientific theory thing: if the existence of God isn't a proven fact, then you have to have faith to believe that there isn't such a being.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I don't know for an absolute fact that God doesn't exist- just as you and I don't know for an absolute fact that the tooth fairy or the easter bunny don't exist, just as we don't know for a fact there aren't leprechauns at the end of the rainbow with a pot of gold.
It's impossible to disprove a negative, which is why the burden of proof is own those making the claim- in this case, the claim of the existence of a God.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

But if you don't believe there is a God, then that belief itself is still a belief.

Basically, this:
Quote from: Dude on August 10, 2015, 03:27:38 PMI'm pretty sure you can stare at a TV that's off and still call that "watching TV"
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

A belief would be a positive claim, or rather, trusting a positive claim to be true. In this case, I'm saying I don't accept your positive claim, and revert to the default position- that there isn't a god is essentially the default, because that's where the evidence points. If you're watching a blank TV, you might as well be staring at the wall and call it watching TV- you can call it what you like, but you aren't watching anything.
But, say there is a God/gods- how can you be sure it's the God of Christianity, and not of Islam, or Hinduism, or Scientology, or Mormonism (though that's similar to Christianity), or Paganism, or Wicca?
what is shitpost

Dude

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:45:48 PMIf you're watching a blank TV, you might as well be staring at the wall and call it watching TV- you can call it what you like, but you aren't watching anything.
this makes 0 sense

Pianist Da Sootopolis

If you're watching a TV that isn't playing anything, you're watching, literally, nothing. Complete and utter blackness- so, for all intents and purposes, you might as well stare at the wall.
what is shitpost

mikey

you're all becoming so existential
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:32:22 PMAllow me to reword it: Atheism takes no faith. The whole point of atheism is a lack of faith, so to say that it takes as much faith as an actual religion is illogical.
If we're gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally technical, this statement points to agnosticism, not atheism. Agnosticism is the decision not to believe if there is a god or not, whereas atheism is the belief that there is no god. Since you are adamant that you are not believing in anything, you are therefore agnostic. Continuing to say you're an atheist denotes a belief in the non-existence of a god.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Ninjad

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:45:48 PMA belief would be a positive claim, or rather, trusting a positive claim to be true. In this case, I'm saying I don't accept your positive claim, and revert to the default position- that there isn't a god is essentially the default, because that's where the evidence points.

Positive claim? That's just a perspective! You could just as easily say "I believe there is not a God!"

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:45:48 PMIf you're watching a blank TV, you might as well be staring at the wall and call it watching TV- you can call it what you like, but you aren't watching anything.

While I agree that watching a blank TV yields you fruit, you are still watching it. Call it what you like.

SuperFireKirby

Lack of belief in God does not equate to belief in the lack of God.  That being said, the tv analogy is complete nonsense.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Dudeman

Quote from: Dudeman on August 10, 2015, 04:51:40 PMIf we're gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally technical, this statement points to agnosticism, not atheism. Agnosticism is the decision not to believe if there is a god or not, whereas atheism is the belief that there is no god. Since you are adamant that you are not believing in anything, you are therefore agnostic. Continuing to say you're an atheist denotes a belief in the non-existence of a god.
Basically these:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 04:52:03 PMPositive claim? That's just a perspective! You could just as easily say "I believe there is not a God!"
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on August 10, 2015, 04:52:46 PMLack of belief in God does not equate to belief in the lack of God.  That being said, the tv analogy is complete nonsense.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Dudeman on August 10, 2015, 04:51:40 PMIf we're gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally technical, this statement points to agnosticism, not atheism. Agnosticism is the decision not to believe if there is a god or not, whereas atheism is the belief that there is no god. Since you are adamant that you are not believing in anything, you are therefore agnostic. Continuing to say you're an atheist denotes a belief in the non-existence of a god.
From Dictionary.com,
An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 04:52:03 PMNinjad

Positive claim? That's just a perspective! You could just as easily say "I believe there is not a God!"
A positive claim, in logic terms, is the claim that something exists or that something is true. Your positive claim is that God exists, and actually, even further, that it is the God of some sect of Christianity.
QuoteWhile I agree that watching a blank TV yields you fruit, you are still watching it. Call it what you like.
You're not watching TV at that point. You're watching literally, nothingness.
what is shitpost

Dude

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:56:43 PMYou're not watching TV at that point.
yes you are, you just aren't watching any channels.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:56:43 PMA positive claim, in logic terms, is the claim that something exists or that something is true. Your positive claim is that God exists, and actually, even further, that it is the God of some sect of Christianity.

So you're saying that it's impossible to have a possible claim that God didn't exist? What if your beliefs are that the truth lies in a world without a devine being? Why can't that be a positive claim? It's as if you're centered around believing there is a God d:

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:56:43 PMYou're not watching TV at that point. You're watching literally, nothingness.

How is staring at a TV not watching a TV? This, like many other things you continue to argue, makes no sense.

Sebastian

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:32:22 PM"Which god are you?"
Well it's not Allah because the Quran is based off of the Bible. The Bible was written first and not changed.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 04:56:43 PMYour positive claim is that God exists, and actually, even further, that it is the God of some sect of Christianity.
Not a sect. God doesn't hate or like someone more than someone else regardless of what they did or what "sect" they're apart of. He loves all. He'll accept into anyone into Heaven as long as they accept the free gift of salvation and believe that Jesus is Lord. Simple as that. :P

And Ebola, sickness, pain, war, etc. is man's fault not God's.

And enough with the tv lol