News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

Religion

Started by wariopiano, September 05, 2012, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 20, 2013, 08:26:48 AMI have my own religion and I'm okay with that.

ALL WORSHIP SLOWPOKEMON

FSM-Reapr

Yes, SlowPokemonism is quickly spreading across the world.

SuperFireKirby

Sounds like the most mediocre religion evur.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

MaestroUGC

I hardly go to church, yet I'm still a devout Catholic and know more about the nature of my faith and the church's doctrines than those who attend mass every sunday.

No, I don't agree with everything my church teaches, but that doesn't make my faith any weaker than others'.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

blueflower999

I have a lot of respect for Catholics like you, Maestro. Too many that I know are indifferent to the church's teachings. >.>
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

My brother is having his confirmation as a catholic tonight.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

Moving this here because I'm a rule follower *halo emoji*

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 12:31:56 PMGenerally speaking, if it doesn't have evidence, in science it's not considered to be fact.
It COULD be fact, but so could all the other 4000+ religions throughout history.
looking at it from a science based perspective. Not everything applies to science rules and its ironically close minded that you're pushing that

QuoteI've always been interested in this side of religion, as I've know people who go through a patch of depression and then take up religion for the aspects of unconditional love it gives them.
Seems to me like it would be better to learn to love yourself unconditionally than to just rely on someone else's, even if that person is supernatural.
For a second ignore the personification of God and see it as more of a concept. Teachings of Catholicism vary widely even just through the U.S., but from what I understand God is not meant to be seen as a supernatural person, it's just easier to refer to him that way. Focusing  thoughts in prayer is an easier and more logical way to reflect for most people than to try and wrap your head around a concept that can't be explained in words. Sort of like how death is sometimes personified to help people understand. God is not necessarily a person, it's just a visible way to explain it.

QuoteI somewhat agree, but the reason I have an issue with Christianity is that is practices suspension of critical thinking (everything is based on faith), as well as it tending to get special privileges within government (for example, I believe it was a Missouri police department that put "In God we trust" stickers on the back of their police cars).
A good example of this is the pledge of allegiance- the phrase "Under God" wasn't added until the 50's because we were separating ourselves from the "Godless Communists", and it's still mandated by many schools to be said each week (clearly violating the establishment clause of the first amendment).
Catholicism or religion itself is not the issue in instances like this, it's the way it's been skewed and interpreted differently as it passed through the generations. Catholicism does not require all of its members to have the exact same beliefs and act the exact same way. Plenty of things are lost in translation, as well as changing systems of belief throughout history. It's difficult for Catholicism to adapt to changing times because of their long history and the sense of tradition that defines the religion.

As for government, the same thing applies. The majority always wins in things like that, so since the majority believes in some form of Christianity of course their beliefs are going to be reflected in their actions because it's a part of who they are. I'm not condoning it, in just trying to get you to understand instead of just complain.
QuoteReligion is far from necessary. All things that religion promises (being healed if you're sick, eternal salvation) can all come from other much better places (secularism and most sciences), or simply don't exist.
Get this: that's your own personal belief. What if I called that your religion? Exactly what your thinking could be changed to a religion and it would stand true to that person practicing it. Religion is a way to help humans attempt to understand what they can't, adding a sense of comfort and allowing them to actually focus on living instead of being in constant fear of the unknown.

mikey

Bubbles, what do you think happens when you die?  Just curious
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

^You enter the void and become non-existence

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Bubbles on August 10, 2015, 01:22:48 PMMoving this here because I'm a rule follower *halo emoji*
 looking at it from a science based perspective. Not everything applies to science rules and its ironically close minded that you're pushing that
If it's not applicable to science, or not provable by science, that would mean it doesn't have evidence. Thus, I give you Hitchen's Razor-
Quote from:  Christopher HitchensThat which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
QuoteFor a second ignore the personification of God and see it as more of a concept. Teachings of Catholicism vary widely even just through the U.S., but from what I understand God is not meant to be seen as a supernatural person, it's just easier to refer to him that way. Focusing  thoughts in prayer is an easier and more logical way to reflect for most people than to try and wrap your head around a concept that can't be explained in words. Sort of like how death is sometimes personified to help people understand. God is not necessarily a person, it's just a visible way to explain it.
What is God exactly, then? Because he's certainly characterized as a being that does actions that have an effect on our world, both by the Bible and by preachers.

QuoteCatholicism or religion itself is not the issue in instances like this, it's the way it's been skewed and interpreted differently as it passed through the generations. Catholicism does not require all of its members to have the exact same beliefs and act the exact same way. Plenty of things are lost in translation, as well as changing systems of belief throughout history. It's difficult for Catholicism to adapt to changing times because of their long history and the sense of tradition that defines the religion. 
Sure, that makes sense.

QuoteAs for government, the same thing applies. The majority always wins in things like that, so since the majority believes in some form of Christianity of course their beliefs are going to be reflected in their actions because it's a part of who they are. I'm not condoning it, in just trying to get you to understand instead of just complain.
No, I understand that well. The issue is that since it's a constitutional issue, it doesn't matter what the majority wants, it matters what the constitution says- and what is says is to keep Church and State separate.
 [/quote] Get this: that's your own personal belief. What if I called that your religion? Exactly what your thinking could be changed to a religion and it would stand true to that person practicing it.[/quote]
Here's the definition of Religion:
Religion: "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."
Anti-theism, what we're discussing, is certainly a belief (the belief that religion is harmful), and I am anti-theistic to an extent. Atheism, however, is not- atheism is the lack of belief in any God or Gods. To say that atheism is a religion is to say that off is also a TV channel- it's not, it's the lack of one.
QuoteReligion is a way to help humans attempt to understand what they can't, adding a sense of comfort and allowing them to actually focus on living instead of being in constant fear of the unknown.
But that doesn't make it factually correct- the belief in God is a dubious one at best, and even if you believe in a God, you then have to go a step further and answer as to why you believe in the God of one particular religion, out of the thousands of religions that have ever existed that have just as much evidence (none).
what is shitpost

Sebastian

Hey. I'd love to join this conversation but wouldn't it be easier to do it on Skype? Anyone who's interested in chatting about it I could add to the same conversation.

Dude

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 03:02:02 PMTo say that atheism is a religion is to say that off is also a TV channel
I'm pretty sure you can stare at a TV that's off and still call that "watching TV"

blueflower999

Truly committing to atheism takes just as much faith as Christianity and therefore I count it as a religion.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Bubbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 02:35:21 PMBubbles, what do you think happens when you die?  Just curious
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's not a big deal to me, I'm comfortable with just brushing the whole thing off because I know I won't find an answer and I'm not trying to stress

But I'd love for reincarnation to be real. Life is too great for us to have only one life, it's almost not fair for it to end in nothing or a new life in heaven or some other afterlife