Olimar12345's Arrangements! (890 Total) 10 New Sheets (Pikmin!)

Started by Olimar12345, June 27, 2012, 12:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

To me it looks like a linear (embellishing) diminished seventh chord. How did you analyze it?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

The Deku Trombonist

I was looking at it as a delayed resolution of the V7 chord to the I. From there, I thought I there were a couple ways of looking at it, including as A7-> G#o/D->D, or as chromatic passing notes. I prefer the chromatic passing notes because then you get G->G#->A and (E)->E#->F# movement of the voices. Yes I know that strictly speaking the E isn't there, but it's an implied part of the harmony and I suppose that's what you get with only 2 notes per chord and some strange voice leading trying to compensate for that :P

There seem to be a number of ways to look at it, I just happen to like voice leading.

SlowPokemon

Nice arrangement and I like the medley sort of set up, but why on earth would you put it in 3/8 rather than 3/4? The latter is much more comfortable to read and this piece is about as classic waltz as you can get.

Oh and another note, these were composed by Koji Kondo. He wrote four tracks for the game (these and Egg Planet) with the rest of the game's music being composed by Mahito Yokota.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

@Deku: Interesting, though I think the biggest thing that doesn't work in your theory (that works in mine) is the strong resolution that D in the bass gives.

@Slow: Thanks! I'll change it to just Kondo then. And I feel that 3/4 has a greater 3 to 1 weight than 3/8. 3/8 is more easily conceived in "one" imo.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 07, 2014, 07:23:43 AM@Deku: Interesting, though I think the biggest thing that doesn't work in your theory (that works in mine) is the strong resolution that D in the bass gives.

@Slow: Thanks! I'll change it to just Kondo then. And I feel that 3/4 has a greater 3 to 1 weight than 3/8. 3/8 is more easily conceived in "one" imo.

Yeah you're right, the pulse is definitely felt in "one." I guess I can't help but feel it looks slightly "awkward?" Idk it's probably a personal thing.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 07, 2014, 07:12:10 AMwhy on earth would you put it in 3/8 rather than 3/4?

Beethoven's 2nd symphony, 2nd movement, uses 3/8. One advantage of 3/8 is that, from a conductor's perspective, one only has to (in a song like Comet Observatory) conduct a beat every second, as opposed to 3/4 where he or she would be compelled to conduct each beat at 180 bpm as if the song were nearly a prestissimo.  Personally, I think it's mostly just a matter of notation, since with 3/8 you get the nice effect of having all 3 eighths of the measure neatly beamed together.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 07, 2014, 07:23:43 AM@Deku: Interesting, though I think the biggest thing that doesn't work in your theory (that works in mine) is the strong resolution that D in the bass gives.

What resolution? It's a bit of a strange resolution to land on a diminished 7 chord. It holds the tension until finally resolving in the 8th bar. The desire of that chord to resolve up just pulls at my soooouuuuull

And on the 3/8 vs 3/4 debate, I think either can work but 3/8 just seems 'lighter' than 3/4, if that makes sense.

Olimar12345

Then resolution on beat one of the 7th measure. I have a hard time hearing that D as a lowered 5 for G#o7, being that D is tonic d:

Olimar12345

Double post, finally at a computer! (oh, my poor phone...)

Anyway, the corrections to the Comet Observatory have been made. I actually had it backwards, Deku. Your spelling is correct, but for my reasonings lol. The [dd7] chord should be enharmonically a fully diminished 7th chord, based on the root of the harmony in question.

The Deku Trombonist

I said that was an option, not my preferred solution. They're just accented (chromatic) passing notes.

Olimar12345

DonValentino

Nice! Though I believe the drum part is at the beginning instead of the end?

Olimar12345

Correct! I don't have access to my full library of OST's atm and used a shoddy youtube video(it faded in right in the middle of the piece -__-" ). Thank God this one is still on my ipod though! Should be fixed now.

DonValentino