News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by UnknownKirbyMan, June 05, 2012, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FierceDeity

I may not be a huge fan of league as a game, but I'll be damned if Riot doesn't manage it extremely well.

mikey

you should play bruh
more fun than tf2
(jk lol never played it, don't really like fps)
unmotivated

braix

I played tf2 for 40 minutes.
I didn't like it.
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FierceDeity

I mean, I have played league, haha. And it wasn't just the "I'm bad at it so I'm gonna stop" that's typical of competitive online games; I was actually pretty decent, since I've already played a shitload of AoS maps in WC3. But it's kinda because of that that league doesn't really stand out much to me. I pin its success on Riot's amazing job turning it into a global competitive phenomenon, as well as the simple interface that allows newer players to pick it up quickly, while allowing more experienced players to hone their timing. But the gameplay itself isn't that interesting to me. I either like high-intensity games like TF2 or smash where reflexes and mastery are EVERYTHING, or more sprawling strategic games like WC3 and its mods where each path designated at the beginning of a game still presents you with a shitload of viable options to choose from. The reliance on reflexes and fog of war still make for a pretty respectable gameplay, don't get me wrong, but the formulaic ability rotations, role designations, and item progressions really don't appeal to me. It's just not my type of game.

Also, not that this applies to any of you (I assume), but a lot of the community is absolute shit, from what I experienced. Making everything essentially ranked is pretty cool in terms of giving a sense of progression, but I saw so many casual players getting railed on by hypercompetitive assholes just for being new.

(Also I actually haven't played TF2 in a while haha; smash coming out may have had a lot to do with that)

braix

there are a lot of assholes in league but there's also nice people too :3
i didn't really feel like tf2 was a game i'd like to play
league kinda clicked with me lol

also i cant play fps games on pc, CoD on an xbox is more for me

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 07, 2015, 09:01:22 PMI mean, I have played league, haha. And it wasn't just the "I'm bad at it so I'm gonna stop" that's typical of competitive online games; I was actually pretty decent, since I've already played a shitload of AoS maps in WC3. But it's kinda because of that that league doesn't really stand out much to me. I pin its success on Riot's amazing job turning it into a global competitive phenomenon, as well as the simple interface that allows newer players to pick it up quickly, while allowing more experienced players to hone their timing. But the gameplay itself isn't that interesting to me. I either like high-intensity games like TF2 or smash where reflexes and mastery are EVERYTHING, or more sprawling strategic games like WC3 and its mods where each path designated at the beginning of a game still presents you with a shitload of viable options to choose from. The reliance on reflexes and fog of war still make for a pretty respectable gameplay, don't get me wrong, but the formulaic ability rotations, role designations, and item progressions really don't appeal to me. It's just not my type of game.

Also, not that this applies to any of you (I assume), but a lot of the community is absolute shit, from what I experienced. Making everything essentially ranked is pretty cool in terms of giving a sense of progression, but I saw so many casual players getting railed on by hypercompetitive assholes just for being new.

(Also I actually haven't played TF2 in a while haha; smash coming out may have had a lot to do with that)
Ah yes if you've played Warcraft you're bound to be pretty decent at league.  I don't really understand what you mean by "formulaic ability rotations" (do you mean combos) lol.  I'm assuming what you mean by role designations is "this character goes top mid or bot etc." and the longer you play the more those restrictions go away.  For example, I sometimes play a champion known as Gangplank (a pirate who killed his father and took his inheritance).  If you play gangplank anywhere people sometimes get mad at you but only if you do poorly.  If you don't do terrible, people will get mad at you for not going top (where he's "supposed" to go.  If you go jungle (usually there's a bit of an overlap between top and jungle champions) people will look at you questionably.  Honestly, I've pulled off GP top, jungler, mid, support, and ADC, and even as a 1v2 bot lane.  There are champions in the game that can do multiple roles quite well if you're willing to ignore people's criticism.  And item progressions are a good thing.  They add into complexity of the game and allow you to slowly gain power rather than stay behind until you get enough gold for one.  As for the community, a lot of it comes from the vocal minority effect.  If you go to like a forum or something and see people posting you see 4 types of people:
1 the people who consider themselves decent players, consider themselves nontoxic, and are willing to cuss someone out because they died trying to steal dragon.
2 the people who are nice and try to calmly converse with the people type #1- sometimes bad, sometimes good.
3 the people who suck up to riot no matter what eg "why are you guys complaining this is a f2p game" <annoying to both type 1 and 2.
4 the people who are banned.  These are the people who you'd see online saying riot is trash.

In game is pretty much
1 toxic players
2 bad players
3 good players
4 players who get dragged into the inevitable flame war

That being said, flame wars don't always happen!  Recent statistics show that only 1/10 players are negative enough to be considered "toxic".  Being a 10 player game, you'll almost always have "that one guy" in the game.  But 1 person is NOT hard to deal with at all.  And there's a good chance they'll be on the enemy team.  In my experience, and this IS TRUE FOR ANY PART OF LEAGUE:  The higher your skill level/longer you've been playing, the less toxic and rude people get and the more stuff you can do without them flipping out.  That's not to say they get nicer; they just focus more on the game rather than arguing ad hominem.  If you say you can play urgot jungle, great.  If you consequently fail at urgot jungle, they won't really appreciate you making their game a 4v5.

I'm really bad at league, and I even know what I'm bad at, I just can't improve because of certain reasons.  So I'm at a sort of level where some people think they're great, some people ARE great, and some people are just plain bad.  I never have to mute anybody (YES, you can mute people.  Muted players can't rage at you ;) ) and I'm at "that level" where people will call you out on the dumbest stuff.  And where people will call someone out on the right stuff- typical response "shut up noob".  The thing is none of this even happens that often.  People only think the league community is toxic because of the people screaming "RITO THIS COMMUNITY SO BAD PLS" when they are the type of people who will rage at their support for taking a CS.  People can get ticked off at other people, but IT DOESN'T HAPPEN NEARLY AS OFTEN AS PEOPLE SAY IT DOES.  Seriously the league community is better than the Club Penguin community and you can get banned there for trying to type in a cuss word.

Incidentally, what rank were you when you played?
unmotivated

Wolf

WHOHOOOO

That's a lot o text.
The no.1 Star Fox nerd in Ninsheetmusic

FierceDeity

See, this is what I mean when I say I can't help but respect riot as a company. They do a really good job managing their game.

As for item progressions, I kinda meant for the "formulaic" label to apply to that too. From different guides/examples of high level players that I looked at, it doesn't seem as if there are too many options given a certain hero and lane. Maybe things have changed, or maybe I just didn't look into it thoroughly enough, but I'd really like to see variable item progressions/options that facilitate/work similarly well for different styles of play within a lane.

As for 1/10 being "toxic", on the one hand that sounds kinda low for what I experienced, but then again I was probably dealing with a lot of smurfs at my low level (fun fact, I got mistaken for one several times as nidalee and it was an awesome feeling). On the other hand, 1/10 is actually pretty high; it means on average, one player will likely at least be wasting their own time, if not also that of others on their team (I did try muting a few; they usually just afked or fed if the entire team also muted, which didn't really solve the problem at all :-\)

My level, I don't think I was past 19 (might not even have been that). It was kinda like, eh, I've seen enough of this game/spent enough time on it to know that there are things I'd rather spend my time playing.

mikey

Well, I don't care if you believe me or not when I say this but level 20 is a magic number and once you hit it stuff gets way better lol
As for the items; what you're seeing is certain items comboing well with certain champions.  This is what's considered "core" on champions and is the only thing that's considered "must build".  Building the same items in the same order over and over is seen more commonly in lower skill levels and is generally a really bad thing to do.  You need to build around the enemy team to maximize your effectiveness.  And just so we're clear (I think I already told you this) nidalee is somewhat faceroll :P
Other than getting boots (which are musts) and core items (which are your best items to get such as Blade of the Ruined King on Zed (when you figure it out it's brilliant) and Ravenous Hydra on Fiora (each Hydra procs on her ult attacks) and aren't a good idea to replace) the rest of your build should be purely situational based on how the game is going.  In fact, this current season starting (season 5) Riot is working on improving their impactful decision making and added a couple new items to help this sort of idea that your build should be reactive to the enemy team's composition/how the game is going.  Based off of stuff you're saying I guess you probably played mid season 3 (same time I started-known by some older players as the worst season lol) so I'd say give it another shot and you might enjoy how the game's improved ;)

PS compared to other games League has a pretty low level of smurfs
unmotivated

Xaoz

Although I am new here I feel like contributing to this...
I actually play LoL quite a lot (Europe West) and I also have a long history of gaming. In this time I have seen and been part of a decent amount of gaming communities and I have to admit: The League of Legends Community is the worst you can get. Especially if you are a new player you will probably get flamed and insulted in most of your games and this will not change until you know what you are doing (which will take way longer than reaching max summoner level). Even if you reach some higher levels, let's say diamond, the flaming, insulting and rage-quitting still exists, but the frequency decreases a lot. Still, if I got one (insert your currency) for each time that people told me my family and I should die of cancer I would be a pretty rich guy.
On the other hand the game is pretty easy to learn and offers a long road to improve. If you manage to fight your way through the insults when you are starting, this game has a lot to offer.
If you cannot take flamers, this game is definitely not for you.
And to the guys who love to start a flamewar on their own: This is the perfect game for you!

GG.

If you are up for some games, feel free to PM.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Wolf

Guyz I have 10000 IP. Where should I spend it on?

Wolf

Quote from: Xaoz on January 09, 2015, 04:26:27 AMI actually play LoL quite a lot (Europe West)
LOL EU west. Hows the server? Does it still lag?