News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Hosting and Balancing

Started by Bird, January 04, 2013, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy

Now in something unrelated to forum TWG (and I apologise if it therefore doesn't belong here): in a couple of months I'll be at a bachelor's party of a good friend of mine, with a total of 12 people, which is pretty ideal for a werewolf game, but a little too many people for most other games. Problem with playing TWG irl is that it is an elimination game, and having to just sit there and watch while the other people keep playing isn't very fun.

So I have been thinking about playing a 12 player (or 11 player 1 host) TWG variant without elimination. Unfortunately, the ones I know cap out at 10 players (Avalon and Secret Hitler) or have a bit too much randomness and unbalance for my liking (Saboteur with expansion).

So I've been thinking about designing such a game by myself, but most of my experience designing TWG's has been with elimination, so I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of what kind of non-elimination TWG I can play and how it can be balanced for 12 players.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
[davy]'s in a way different time zone so basically he pops in at like 2 AM and posts 500 words and wins the game

Toby

Quote from: davy on March 16, 2024, 02:45:29 AMNow in something unrelated to forum TWG (and I apologise if it therefore doesn't belong here): in a couple of months I'll be at a bachelor's party of a good friend of mine, with a total of 12 people, which is pretty ideal for a werewolf game, but a little too many people for most other games. Problem with playing TWG irl is that it is an elimination game, and having to just sit there and watch while the other people keep playing isn't very fun.

So I have been thinking about playing a 12 player (or 11 player 1 host) TWG variant without elimination. Unfortunately, the ones I know cap out at 10 players (Avalon and Secret Hitler) or have a bit too much randomness and unbalance for my liking (Saboteur with expansion).

So I've been thinking about designing such a game by myself, but most of my experience designing TWG's has been with elimination, so I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of what kind of non-elimination TWG I can play and how it can be balanced for 12 players.

No experience but my initial thoughts would be either something like an infected/recruitment style game where every night the wolf recruits another wolf or 2 but not sure how you would manage lynches.

But a better idea could be an Arsonist style game where every night the arsonist can douse a few people in oil, then when day comes instead of a lynch the humans vote to 'throw oil' over the arsonist to reveal them. If they choose another human that player is doused in oil and the game continues. If they choose the arsonist then they reveal themselves as such and humans win. Arsonist wins when they've doused everyone in oil and instead of dousing anyone else during the night, instead they choose to ignite which burns everyone doused in oil - killing them off and leaving the arsonist as the last one standing. I enjoy the arsonist role because of the paranoi people have knowing they're marked for death  . The arsonist can pretend like they've been doused in oil too to try blend in.