Jompa's arrangements ~ 29.04.2015 ~ Inne i den flyvende spekkhoggeren

Started by Jompa, April 25, 2012, 10:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

I was pushed off my spot on the first "Persponal Arrangement Threads"-page, so I made this: :)

Super Smash Bros. Melee:
Big Blue ~ four hands
MUS
PDF
MIDI
Birdo for Smash

DonValentino

Jompa

I was hired by an ensemble at my school to write a really corny version of Jingle Bells for their christmas concert thingy.
The arrangement was going to be somewhat cliché, and humorous to listen to for musicians, and of course it had to modulate too..
So here, a christmas special from me:
MIDI
PDF
It sounds great when complimented by an audience snapping their fingers on the 2's and 4's at the choruses :)
Birdo for Smash

The Deku Trombonist

That's really cool! Those key changes made me smile and the Grave bit was funny...hehe minor Jingle Bells ;D

Jompa

Thanks a lot! My main objective was to make it humorous for musicians ^.^
Birdo for Smash

fingerz

Ahahahaha! Excellent work with the Jingle Bells, Jompa. There's not much more you could do to make it the corniest version ever. :P Anyhoo, I really like your Big Blue arrangement! I was scared at first when I saw it, then I realised it was for four hands. All good! XD

A question for you too, methinks...

Question: Why DO you arrange? What makes you want to arrange? Think hard on that and let me know. :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jompa

I do it for others, but in the end it's all for myself.
I want to learn more music. Music is my hobby - I am a saxophonist, but it's the arranging I love doing. So I arrange all the time pretty much, so that I can improve on pretty much every level I'm interested to learn about - composition, arranging, improvisation, and musical understanding.

As you may have seen, I barely arrange for the site anymore.
That's because I quite truthfully don't really get anything from it. Don't get me wrong, this isn't me "complaining", I mean I don't get anything out of it musically. I could of course continue arranging video game songs into simple piano sheets forever, but then I wouldn't really improve too much, and I would most certainly not reach my goals in composition and arranging.
But it is because of NSM that I was introduced to arranging, and it's also what has made me into the dedicated musician and arranger I am today, which is something I should be grateful to everyone on the site for.
I arrange all the time. Now it is mostly for my school's big band, which is the kind of arranging I really wanna be doing in the end.
I also do other arrangements, like the Jingle Bells one for that weird horn-trio-ensemble, and I also compose my own music all the time.
I need to expand my view on music and get even more experience to shoot for my goal - to be a composer, preferably big band (not necessarily as a profession, but definitely as a hobby).
I've spent much of my time recently "studying" big band compositions, which is incredibly fun and educational.
I recently just "finished" my first original chart (which of course isn't any kind of masterpiece), and I don't think it will be long before I continue doing more of this stuff, because composing and arranging is fun, and it's the best hobby I've had over the years!
Birdo for Smash

fingerz

Yeah, I agree with that completely! I'm a bit more selfish and actually arrange just for myself. I post them because there might be someone out there looking for it, but I don't really care. I'm heartless, aren't I? XD

It's a great way to further your skills, though. I'm like you and want to become a composer for a jazz band or just make some seriously cool charts later on down the track. And I agree with what you also said; NSM is a fabulous place for people to start learning, but in order to get better and better, University training is required. I'll always love this site, though! :D

Thanks for answering, Jompa! Keep up the fabulous work and all the best for your endeavours! I know you'll become a top-notch composer. :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jompa

Made this during Spanish. Also, I'm gonna fail Spanish.

Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow:
"Viridian City" ~ Bossa Nova for ensemble
PDF
MIDI

You know that annoying thing jazz standards do where they deliberately place chords on wrong roots only to show of some potential 2-5-1, right? Well, I tried a bunch that for once. It was kinda fun to do, but it's still a stupid concept of thinking. It prevents people from understanding harmony, in my opinion...
Birdo for Smash

Nebbles

I like it. It sounds like elevator music, but in a good way.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Waddle Bro

Jompa

(wow that was close, I was almost pushed off the first page of personal arrangement threads)

So what news do I bring? Well, I made this for an ensemble at school:

The "Pokémon Suite" ~ a 21.5 minutes long collection of popular themes from "Pokémon Red, Blue & Yellow", for two euphonium and an alto horn
PDF
MP3

I'm thinking of orchestrating it.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

Wow! It sounds great, but it would sound incredible orchestrated! Unfortunately, I haven't played a pokemon game yet, so I can't comment on any comparisons to the original.... But I like it!

DonValentino

Olimar12345

I love the ensemble! Very nice job here, Jompa. If you made a version transposed for three trombones, I might be able to get you a reading of it :3

My only comments would be to work in some more transitions (less stopping and starting) and slightly rewrite the section from 546-552 for eupho 1. I would suggest having them play something on the downbeats as well, even if it's just in octaves with eupho 2, just to make it a bit easier to play. I bring this up because I did something similar to this recently (also in a supporting, non-melody voice), and it ended up being more trouble than it seemed to be worth.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!