News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Blueflower's Gaming Blog and Reviews

Started by blueflower999, March 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ace Attorney lists should I do after ranking the cases?

Rank the characters (or top 10/20 characters)
4 (17.4%)
Rank the breakdowns
3 (13%)
Top 10/20 songs
4 (17.4%)
Rank the villains/murderers
1 (4.3%)
Rank the character themes
2 (8.7%)
Don't do another Ace Attorney list
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

blueflower999

Professor Layton once again escaped my grasp today, and at the same store to boot. Unwound Future was there, and I had just barely enough money to get it because I got a 10% off all games.

But wait. I only get 10% off used games, and somehow this game was new. So I didn't have enough.

Oh well, at least that means that I can spend my money on Virtue's Last Reward instead. Whatever, it's like choosing between 2 of the best portable games ever.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

A+++++++++ on your statement, even though you missed Professor Layton.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

I'm surprised they had it new. It was like 28 dollars, and that's more than 999 was. Unwound Future was released back in 2010, right?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

Why blueflower, I didn't know you played TF2.

blueflower999

What does me playing Team Fortress have to do with Professor Layton?  :P
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

It has nothing to do with it. I just saw your steam account.

blueflower999

Why not a quick review before I go to bed tonight?

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Gameplay: 9/10 This is a very fun NES game. In fact, it's probably in my top 10 NES games of all time! That's just how good it is. It's so simple, yet so complex at the same time. Here's what I mean: you can learn how to play in a minute, but getting to Tyson takes days or weeks of practice, and beating him is near impossible. Your reflexes must be sharp to dodge the most insanely fast punches and special moves, and then you have to be ready to counter-attack at just the right moment. You can punch to the head and stomach with both the left and right hand, so looking for the right opening is crucial. One false move and you'll be hit. Getting your punches blocked enough times will cause Little Mac to become tired, and you'll have to go on the defensive for a while and dodge. The characters in this game are so complex that it takes numerous tries to master how to beat each one. It's really a wonder of NES programming how they made it so intricate. Occasionally when you punch each enemy in a certain way at a certain time, you'll get a star. This will allow you to uppercut them for a huge amount of damage, and can be a game changer. Like real-world boxing, ten seconds down gives you a KO, whereas three knock downs gives you a TKO. And, of course, this is in effect for both you and your opponent.

Addictiveness: 7/10 This game's not going to keep you up all night playing it, but it causes such an adrenaline rush later on that you'll come back to it time and time again. The farther you get, the farther you'll want to go, and that's what's so great about the NES.

Story: 3/10 Little Mac is trying to raise his rank in the boxing world. Meh. NES games aren't about storylines.

Music: 7/10 The music we got in this game isn't that many tracks, but what we got is pretty good. About half of the characters have their own theme songs that play when they enter the ring, which consist of popular songs that 90% of people know, but nobody knows what they're actually called! The Bout Theme is the masterpiece of this game and is incredibly intense.

Bout Theme
[close]
Training Theme (Also a popular internet meme)
[close]

Character Design: 9/10 The character design is another one of this game's many strong points. While the characters aren't given a huge amount of depth, you get strangely attached to them by the weird crap that they say between rounds and by their intros and attack methods. The Wii remake gives each of them the personality that they deserve, but the NES one is better gameplay wise in my opinion. (This is from watching videos, I haven't played the Wii one yet) Almost all of the characters are stereotypes, which makes it even more hilarious. Von Kaiser represents Germany, Piston Honda is Japan, Don Flamenco is Spain, Great Tiger is India, Soda Popinski is Russia (Or the U.S.S.R. at the time), etc.

Humor: 8/10 Like mentioned above, the weird crap and occasional reference that the contestants say in between rounds is more often than not worthy of a chuckle. Soda Popinski is my favorite character for this reason. Knowing that his name in Japan is Vodka Drunkinski, the line "I can't drive, so I'm going to walk all over you!" is pretty amusing.

Difficulty: 10/10 Oh boy, this is one of those games! If you're expecting to beat Tyson at the end, think again. Without days and weeks of constant practice, I would say close to 90% of people will never be able to beat him. Pretty much every other character in the game is easily beatable with enough trial and error (except Mr. Sandman, I was never able to get good at him), Tyson is one of the most infamous bosses in video game history and will make you tear your hair out with his 1HKO punches.

Other Memorable Features: This was the 4th NES game I ever owned, so I have a special place in my heart for it.

Overall: 8/10 This game is actually really close to a 9, which is fantastic for the NES. It has more character than almost any other NES game that I own, and that makes it incredibly lovable and memorable. Too bad Mr. Dream had to ruin it all.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

blueflower999

Not sure if this is worthy of a post here or not, but I made a website with a download link to version 1.0 of the Pokemon PowerPoint I'm making.

The link is here

If you download it, and I hope someone does, please let me know! I need someone to test to see if my Dropbox account is working.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Zunawe

You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

blueflower999

Really? Other people seem to be able to download it fine...

Let me see what I can do.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Are you planning on reviewing Luigi's Mansion?

blueflower999

Yes, probably soon so it's fresh in my mind.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Oh, cool! I'd recommend the second one, too. It was better in my opinion. Though a lot of other stuff that people have recommended to you takes first priority.

blueflower999

You mean like Virtue's Last Reward, Mario Galaxy 2, Mario and Luigi, and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future?
Bulbear! Blueflower999