News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Blueflower's Gaming Blog and Reviews

Started by blueflower999, March 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ace Attorney lists should I do after ranking the cases?

Rank the characters (or top 10/20 characters)
4 (17.4%)
Rank the breakdowns
3 (13%)
Top 10/20 songs
4 (17.4%)
Rank the villains/murderers
1 (4.3%)
Rank the character themes
2 (8.7%)
Don't do another Ace Attorney list
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

blueflower999

Current agenda:

1. Mega Man 2 (I made it to Dr. Wily's stage! love the game, BTW. Just need to get a little farther before the review)
2. Maybe something to tide you guys over (This may or may not be a surprise)
3. Professor Layton and the Curious Village!

Yeah, I'm going to do it! Slow, you asked for me to review a Layton game a long time ago after I asked for requests, so I am so sorry that it took me this long to want to get one! I'll try my best to get the game and a review done in maybe a month or so.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Good! Best to start with the first game for two reasons:

1. Properly introduces you to the style of Layton games
2. Each game improved upon the last in its gameplay, so you'll appreciate it more. In addition, if you played the more recent ones then went back to Curious Village, it'll feel more unpolished and clunky.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

The stories are pretty much self contained, though there is enough continuity that its's better to play them in order

blueflower999

Dr. Wily's transport machine is making me deaf.
"EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE EEE" SHUT UP

Prepare for a Mega Man 2 review either later today, or this weekend sometime. Gosh, I love this game.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

blueflower999

OK! Here we go. First review since Christmas break, actually:

Mega Man 2:

Gameplay: 9/10 This game takes the already innovative and fun gameplay of the first Mega Man, and just improves upon it immensely. Many of the old flaws and glitches have been fixed, and it's overall much more enjoyable to play. The same basic formula has been improved upon; now there are 8 robot masters instead of 6, and once again, each has their own unique power and a weakness to one or more of the other powers, so strategy is also at use here. Air Man, Quick Man, Wood Man, Crash Man (My favorite), Flash Man (My second favorite), Metal Man (the best power), Heat Man, and Bubble Man (The worst power). Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the chances of an enemy dropping a 1-up in this game is way, way less than in the prequel, but the chances of an enemy dropping HP-refilling items is much, much higher, making killing weak enemies worth your time if you're in a pinch.

Addictiveness: 8/10 Just adding 2 more Robot Masters to the table ups the addictiveness and replayability of this game quite a bit. And Dr. Wily's stage is also longer. Oh, and did I mention that there are also 3 items that you can get in addition to the 8 powers from the Robot Masters. This makes trying different experiments with all the powers loads of fun.

Story: 8/10 It's a similar story to the sequel, only now Dr. Wily hasn't reprogrammed Dr. Light's robots. Instead. he made 8 of his own Robot Masters, which is cool in itself. The end is also interesting, but I'm not going to spoil that. (And I haven't gotten to the end. I think I've made it to like the 4th Dr. Wily stage. Which is pretty good. I just looked up the rest.)

Music: 10/10 Amazing. Remember, this is for the NES, so don't think that these soundtracks are as good as Super Mario Galaxy, because they're not. But, the sheer quantity and quality of great songs in this game is unbelievable for the time. With the exception of Heat Man, every Robot Master theme deserves a spot on my MP3. And they all have them! And really, you can't beat the Dr. Wily stage 1 and 2 theme. You just can't! It's hands-down the most famous Mega Man song, and one of the most famous songs of the 8-bit era in gaming.

Air Man's Theme
[close]
Quick Man's Theme
[close]
Wood Man's Theme
[close]
Crash Man's Theme <3
[close]
Flash Man's Theme
[close]
Metal Man's Theme
[close]
Bubble Man's Theme
[close]
Dr. Wily Stage 1+2
[close]
Title Theme
[close]

Character Design: 8/10 This game goes a tad bit farther in character design than its prequel by actually showing Dr. Light in the game! He presents item #1, 2, and 3 to Mega Man after beating specific stages. The first item is just a platform that hovers. The second is a surfboard that shoots forward. The third is an elevator that can go up walls. All the Robot Masters are colorful, original, and creative, and Dr. Wily is annoying once again.

Humor: 2/10 EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE EE

Difficulty: 8/10 Am I a bad person for finding this game to be... easier than the original? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a challenging game, but this one is more challenging in a good way. It's far less frustrating, and I'd recommend this one if the first is too tough for you. I actually made it to Dr. Wily's stage in ONE NIGHT, when in the first game, it took me MONTHS. Still, it there is some classic Nintendo hard crap in this game, and it can be pretty unforgiving at times. But there's no Yellow Devil. THANK GOD.

Other Memorable Features: Bubble Man's power is absolutely useless! Even more so than Bomb Man's in Mega Man 1. Oh well, at least I use it for Heat Man's battle this time. And you do have to use it against the final boss, so I guess there are times that I use it. Oh, I forgot to mention; this game has Energy Tanks scattered across the levels. If you find one, it goes to your inventory, and you can use it at any time to completely restore your health! Yeah, they're pretty awesome. Tend to be a little difficult to get, though.

Overall: 9.4/10 Such a great game. Just as good, if not better, than the original. Will 3 improve more, or will it get suckier? I'll find out later. But for now, let's play some Professor Layton!
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Well the first one is ridiculously hard so it probably is easier @_@ I have never listened to Mega Man music, but based on your comments I want to check it out now.

Looking forward to your Layton review. I'm excited to hear what you think of the music alone! One of the bonus features in every game after you complete the story is a sound test, so you can listen to the soundtrack by itself.

blueflower999

You'll only like it if you have an appreciation for 8-bit theme songs. If you do, then check these songs out:

Elec Man, Mega Man 1
Cut Man, Mega Man 1
Crash Man, Mega Man 2
Pharaoh Man, Mega Man 4
Hornet Man, Mega Man 9

These are some of my favorites. Hope you enjoy!

As for Professor Layton, I LOVE games that have sound tests in them that allow me to listen to their music. Heck, Mother 3 has it, so  of course I love it! Looking forward to trying out this new series.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Overall the perfect amount of simple nostalgia, reminds me a LOT of Cave Story music (which is also 8-bit). I like Cave Story's music better than those pieces, though, Cave Story is more melodically driven.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

blueflower999

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :'(

Oh. And guess what.

...I got it. Curious Village. Let's pop this sucker in.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Bubbles

Yugi

SlowPokemon

Quote from: blueflower999 on January 19, 2013, 03:30:58 PMNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :'(

Oh. And guess what.

...I got it. Curious Village. Let's pop this sucker in.

A+++++++++

blueflower999

This game has some of the weirdest looking characters I have ever seen.
Bulbear! Blueflower999