News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Studio Ghibli Films

Started by SlowPokemon, February 27, 2012, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Studio Ghibli film?

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
1 (3.3%)
Castle in the Sky
2 (6.7%)
My Neighbor Totoro
3 (10%)
Grave of the Fireflies
0 (0%)
Kiki's Delivery Service
5 (16.7%)
Only Yesterday
0 (0%)
Porco Rosso
0 (0%)
Pom Poko
0 (0%)
Whisper of the Heart
2 (6.7%)
Princess Mononoke
0 (0%)
My Neighbors the Yamadas
0 (0%)
Spirited Away
6 (20%)
The Cat Returns
0 (0%)
Howl's Moving Castle
10 (33.3%)
Tales from Earthsea
0 (0%)
Ponyo
1 (3.3%)
The Secret World of Arrietty
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Olimar12345

I will generally enjoy any Studio Ghibli film, mostly because I enjoy the animation and the fantasy settings. They also usually have likable characters and interesting/odd plots(imo), which is enough to keep my attention for the hour-and-a-half to two-hour range.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

KefkaticFanatic

I probably should have said poorly regarded rather than poorly reviewed.  Ponyo got some good reviews but anyone that has watched it knows that it was rather mehhhhhhh

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on March 24, 2012, 02:53:34 PMI probably should have said poorly regarded rather than poorly reviewed.  Ponyo got some good reviews but anyone that has watched it knows that it was rather mehhhhhhh

Yes, I feel the same way. I don't understand what's so fantastic about Ponyo. It wasn't as good as its reviews indicated.

But Spirited Away isn't even poorly regarded so that still doesn't make sense.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

KefkaticFanatic

By everyone I've ever talked to that have seen the films and that actually know things about movies, yea.  You should know well enough that meh movies can get overrated.  Plenty of you have derped about it before.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on March 24, 2012, 09:15:01 PMBy everyone I've ever talked to that have seen the films and that actually know things about movies, yea.  You should know well enough that meh movies can get overrated.  Plenty of you have derped about it before.

Lol nope you're totally wrong here. Spirited Away is a fantastic film and is totally well regarded. ^_^ you're the one derping so if you don't have anything nice to say shut up and stop criticizing fantastic works of art if you can't show any reason for doing so.

Super Zombie

I like how The Dark Knight is #8 on IMDb's list of the top 250 films. As good as it was, I don't think it's the 8th best movie.

SlowPokemon

I agree with that... sometimes movies are really crazy overrated. I'll admit that. These movies are just really my tastes =P

Watched GOTF today. Cried for like twenty minute. :'( So sad.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Super Zombie on April 04, 2012, 08:00:30 PMI like how The Dark Knight is #8 on IMDb's list of the top 250 films. As good as it was, I don't think it's the 8th best movie.
Bro, Inception #14. At least Dark Knight was a fairly amazing movie. Inception doesn't even deserve to be in the top 200. Outranking amazing movies like Rear Window, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, and Citizen Kane; it almost makes me want to cry.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Mmmm I liked Inception and Dark Knight about the same, they were both pretty great films. Not really deserving those high places but they're both good films.

KefkaticFanatic

People also have to remember that just because a movie is new doesn't automatically make it worse than any movie that is old.  And vice versa.

me irl
[close]

SuperFireKirby

Correct. New movies can be just as amazing as any old movie. Such as No Country For Old Men, one of my all-time favorites. Or anything starring Tom Hanks.

K-NiGhT

Turns out Spirited Away is now #44 on imdb's list of the top 250 >:0 it went up!
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on April 15, 2012, 09:50:54 AMCorrect. New movies can be just as amazing as any old movie. Such as No Country For Old Men, one of my all-time favorites. Or anything starring Tom Hanks.

Uhm...no not anything starring Tom Hanks.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!