News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Relationships

Started by ETFROXX, February 06, 2012, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I've met up with a boy three times since meeting him last week and I really like him a LOT

Tonight we went on a movie date to see NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind in Japanese with subtitles and then we made out in my car

The only problem is that next week he's moving to japan for nine months sigh
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Zunawe

This sounds like the start to a really good anime movie.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mastersuperfan

Just move to Japan with him it's the best place in the world
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dude

yeah they have anthropomorphized idioms

InsigTurtle

i do not wish to see the word anthropomorphized following any word, thank you very much

Dude

Quote from: InsigTurtle on September 25, 2017, 11:16:00 PMi do not wish to see the word anthropomorphized following any word, thank you very much
that would make it "idioms anthropomorphized" tho and that isn't what i said so ur fine

Maelstrom

what about anthropomorphized shinto shrines

WaluigiTime64

what about anthropomorphized topic derails
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

What about anthropomorphized I can't stay on topic to save my life

WaluigiTime64

how do you even get into a situation where you have to stay on-topic in order to save your life
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 25, 2017, 05:02:54 PMWhat do I do?
Always expect that they aren't interested in you in such a manner until someone decides to prove you wrong. End of the day, if you want to know something: Ask. There's not much to be lost by being matter-of-fact. Lay the facts out and get askin sum qwestuns innit.
innit

Altissimo

Quote from: Dudeman on September 25, 2017, 05:54:05 PMNow, I'm not the kind to actively encourage high school dating (it's usually started by raging hormones, doesn't end well, and commonly creates ridiculous drama that quickly gets out of hand)

hooray I get to return to the topic I hate in order to address this! DOn't ask me why im here if I hate this topic i apparently hate myself too i guess.

Anyway I'd actually disagree with this! yes, all of those reasons you listed are true: started by raging hormones, doesn't end well, commonly creates ridiculous drama. That's all true. But I think because of all that being true it also functions as a good learning experience. If you have a relationship that goes south, you can use it as an introspective time to think about - okay, why did it go south? is there anything I can do differently in the future to prevent it going south? What are my wants and needs as a human? - and in my opinion, it's better to focus on that while you're young and have no responsibilities (basically) than waiting on it! I mean, adult relationships can crash and burn too, except when you're an adult you might be... married/engaged, living together, have kids together, split finances, maybe you even crossed the country to be with them. None of that is true in high school. By getting the drama out of the way early (so to speak), I think you end up with a clearer head going into future relationships and have a better idea of both how to treat your partner in a relationship, or know how you want to be treated, or know what issues there might be.

In my case, my high school relationship ended in flames and I grew deeply depressed and suicidal over it! BUT it also helped me to recognize the signs of an emotionally abusive partner. Now imagine if I hadn't had that experience and was now an adult living with an emotionally abusive man without realizing he was emotionally abusive (or, perhaps, realizing it after it was too late). The risks of trying to escape such a situation would be much greater now than they were when we were still minors in high school living with our parents. But now I'm aware of red flags and can call off things early if they look to be headed in that direction. Plus, the fact that it ended up with me in a terribly depressed/suicidal place means that the treatment I got for it has stuck, and now I think I know how I can deal with it if a current/future relationship were to end in flames, without going back to the same level of depression I had then.

Also, like I said, it helped show me what I want in a partner and kind of taught me what my relationship priorities are! And my current boyfriend fulfills a lot of them :B

That said it is still important to remember that high school relationships are dramatic affairs indeed. In order to avoid getting depressed/suicidal like I did, it helps to remember that - this too shall pass. High school relationships rarely work out! That's okay! If it fails, don't get too upset: you have a whole life ahead of you to find other people to be with. Just live in the moment and accept things for what they are, and don't think too heavily about the future, or you'll get attached to one that might not happen.

Just my two cents.

Dudeman

That's some really really good advice, Alti. I don't think high school dating is entirely bad and I know it can work (my sister knows a couple who just graduated who are about the purest and cutest high school relationship couple you could ever find), but I've never really tried to figure out the benefits, if there are any. What you said is incredibly wise.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

blueflower999

I'm probably going to be asking someone out for the first time next week sometime, wish me luck
Bulbear! Blueflower999