News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

Relationships

Started by ETFROXX, February 06, 2012, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Dude, from what it sounds like, you're trying wayyyyyy too hard. Dating is pretty fucking simple when it boils down to it. Look sharp, be confident, you see a girl who has something that clicks, you talk to her and with the right mixture of timing and dumb luck, you might just get a date.

You should totally get to know someone a bit before moving forward with anything, but you can't be a cautious little ninny or else you'll miss your chance at getting what you actually want. An intimate relationship.

But oh no, what if it doesn't work out and she rejects me or we break up??? Well tough shit, at least you took a shot. So it wasn't meant to be, big deal. Go out there and try again.

You can't just spend your whole life testing the waters or you'll eventually be the only person left on the shore. Grow some balls and take the fucking plunge.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Olimar12345

I'm loving this xD keep going!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FierceDeity

Sorry, I was being pretty rude there, I'll admit. But yeah, what SFK said; it's kinda along the lines of "you miss every shot you don't take". To me, a relationship ending isn't the worst possible outcome. I really can never see myself predicting long term success of a relationship before actually getting to know what somebody's like in a relationship. It's just such a different state of mind, even (maybe especially) after the "honeymoon phase". A relationship ending just means we gave it a shot, and it didn't work. Every relationship you ever have is going to end, up until the very last one. That shouldn't be discouragement, it should be encouragement to keep actually putting yourself out there until you get to that last one. The only relationships I've ever regretted were, you know, early high school ones where I was just in it for the sake of having a girlfriend. Ever since I've grown out of that, even if a relationship ends on somewhat contentious terms (although I can't say that's really happened to me), I regret nothing. It's not time wasted, we still had fun, we still learned from it. I've been hurt more by my own inaction than I've ever been hurt by a breakup. If you and another person have mutual interest in one another, the grand majority of people will not be willing to wait that year with you, despite whatever awesome chemistry you might have had in a relationship, and will move on.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Yugi on April 18, 2014, 06:58:56 PMNow you see if you wanna get girls

The king's orders are absolute.
Actually, negate everything I said. I just realized Yugi won this argument 2 pages ago.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Psychic_Ness

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on April 18, 2014, 11:15:16 PMDude, from what it sounds like, you're trying wayyyyyy too hard. Dating is pretty fucking simple when it boils down to it. Look sharp, be confident, you see a girl who has something that clicks, you talk to her and with the right mixture of timing and dumb luck, you might just get a date.

You should totally get to know someone a bit before moving forward with anything, but you can't be a cautious little ninny or else you'll miss your chance at getting what you actually want. An intimate relationship.

But oh no, what if it doesn't work out and she rejects me or we break up??? Well tough shit, at least you took a shot. So it wasn't meant to be, big deal. Go out there and try again.

You can't just spend your whole life testing the waters or you'll eventually be the only person left on the shore. Grow some balls and take the fucking plunge.

Well no what I'm describing doesn't require trying hard. It allows relationships to take a steady natural course with gradual increases. Successful relationships seem to be ones that bud slowly over time.

Dating is the same as testing the waters. So is the method I'm proposing. With what I proposed there are fewer social barriers and it allows you to get to know more people at the same time than dating one person. You get to spend as much time as you want with any of the individuals without underlying drama. This allows you to make a better and more informed decision at the end of the day compared to doing so much earlier in the relationship. This is opposed trying with everyone one at a time from the bottom up. Think parallel vs sequential processing.

Edit:

"I regret nothing. It's not time wasted, we still had fun, we still learned from it."

I agree that it's a learning experience and not time wasted. I feel that sometimes the pain associated can be avoided though and you still end up having the same outcome (you're not together and you both understand why).

My personal experience is that I have broken too many hearts and I hate it. I have let the infatuation take over me for a while and then when it's gone I realize I'm not interested anymore and I break her heart.

SFK, I'm not afraid of taking plunges and being rejected and all that stuff. I dislike hurting other people in the process.

SlowPokemon

Actually... I'm sort of with FierceDeity on this one...this is kind of hilarious
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

Psychic_Ness is a heart breaker, dream maker, lover taker
don't you mess around no, no, no

mikey

Ness is good at making conversations
unmotivated

spitllama

Okay so argument after argument people go at it in this thread. How many of you have actually been a relationship that has lasted 6 months +. I am totally curious.

Your mother doesn't count.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

mikey

Quote from: spitllama on April 19, 2014, 10:32:13 AMOkay so argument after argument people go at it in this thread. How many of you have actually been a relationship that has lasted 6 months +. I am totally curious.

Your mother doesn't count.
I'm in a relationship with everyone I know
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

FierceDeity

Quote from: spitllama on April 19, 2014, 10:32:13 AMHow many of you have actually been a relationship that has lasted 6 months +. I am totally curious.

*raises hand*

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 19, 2014, 10:33:35 AMI'm in a relationship with everyone I know
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on April 19, 2014, 11:02:17 AMSluuuuuuuuttttttttt

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

mikey

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on April 19, 2014, 11:02:17 AMSluuuuuuuuttttttttt
He didn't specify which kind of relationship.
unmotivated

Dude

yeah, there's lots of different kinds of relationships.

though i can't think of any besides hate, love and indifference.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: spitllama on April 19, 2014, 10:32:13 AMHow many of you have actually been a relationship that has lasted 6 months +.
*raises hand*
*still has nothing useful to add*