News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

The Great NSM Novel

Started by SlowPokemon, September 18, 2011, 05:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Oooh, I'm liking this already! Can't wait to read more, Slow! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SlowPokemon

Quote from: shadowkirby_64 on September 19, 2011, 12:19:13 PMHey slow, i want to be on the character list.

See "List of ostracized people"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 18, 2011, 05:08:49 PMos·tra·cized [os-truh-sahyzd]
1. An adjective used to describe someone that Slow didn't include on the list because his role will likely be minor (there's only room for so many characters, guys...)
2. An adjective used to describe someone who WILL BE IN THE STORY SO DON'T FREAK OUT AND CRUCIFY ME

DAMNIT, NO WONDER I GOT THIS WRONG ON THE VOCAB TEST

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

DrP

Perhaps you could change my description to

A friendly college junior who has some pretty strong opinions and is a compulsive Starbucks addict

(I MAY be a second-year in college, but I am in my junior year)

SlowPokemon

CHAPTER TWO*
A Party of Sorts

Most people lived in apartment complexes in the town of NSM. Very few people lived in full houses--as most lived alone, there was little need.

SlowPokemon's complex included himself, Jub3r7, and Mashi. Slow himself exited his apartment and began heading over to Winter's apartment complex. A few people were going to be there. Nothing big, he hoped. SlowPokemon was terrified of parties. Maybe he shouldn't be going at all... Deep in thought, he bumped into Jub3r7 and Mashi--literally. He slammed right into Jub3r7, knocking him over. Mashi nimbly sidestepped the clumsiness.

"Hello, Slow," said Mashi, smiling wryly. Always that same wry smile. Like he knew something you didn't.

"Hi Mashi," said Slow awkwardly. "Sorry. Sorry, guys," he mumbled.

"It's okay," said Jub, getting off the ground and rubbing his arm. "It's okay. Nothing permanent."

Good," said Slow, relieved. "So, umm... what are you guys doing?"

Oh... same, I guess," said Slow resignedly. There would be no backing out now.

"Really?" Mashi said, studying him. "You were walking a bit haphazardly and talking to yourself."

"Was I?" said Slow distractedly. "Well... here we are..."

He entered the building and walked in Winter's apartment. Jub followed, with Mashi bringing up the rear quietly.

Winter was in the living room on one couch, between Nebbles and SuperFireKirby. Nebbles was giggling loudly.

"Hey guys!" said Winter, smiling. "Slow...you didn't bail on us this time."

"Oh..." said Slow, struggling to get the right words out. "I...I...uhh..."

Winter laughed loudly. "I'm just kiddin' with you, buddy. Don't look so flustered."

Slow tried to force a grin, but it looked more like a grimace; he was already regretting having come.

"Jordan!" said ETFROXX, looking up from her iPod and grinning broadly.

"...Hi, Jordan,"  said Slow, finding his voice and smiling at last.

"Let's sit down," said Jub, looking around for an empty chair. There were none, so he promptly sat on the floor. Mashi joined him, but Slow stood awkwardly.

"Enough with the BORING talk," said SuperFireKirby, standing up. "We need to get this party STARTED already."

Everyone basked in the awkward silence that followed.

"...Sorry," he sighed, returning to his seat. "That never really works..."

"It really doesn't," said ETF without looking up from her iPod.

Roz walked in with a drink of some kind. She walked up to SFK and tapped him on the head.

"Excuse me," she said, straining to be nice. "You're in MY spot."

"Yeah, SO?" SFK demanded.

Roz swallowed her anger.

"So move," she suggested.

"Why don't you MAKE ME?" SFK roared.

He quelled under the glare shot at him from Roz.

"I'm sorry," he said meekly getting up and standing awkwardly next to Slow. Roz took her seat with satisfaction.

KefkaticFanatic was the next to arrive.

"You're kind of late," Winter pointed out.

"You're kind of a druggie," said Kefka shortly. "I got held up with that weird...thing...in front of the town hall."

"I know!" Nebbles said, gasping. "I thought that was just me! Everytime I walk past it I feel like it's staring at me!"

"Yeah, everybody does," said Kefka, "but this time I heard it...giggling. Or something like that."

"Are you guys talking about the flower?" ETF chimed in. "Yeah, I kind of want to go set it on fire."

"We can't, you know we've tried everything," said Jub. "Besides...It's proof that he was here."

"Yeah...Raymondbl," said Slow thoughtfully.

Raymondbl was a twelve-year-old troll (well, a human; but also a troll) who had wreaked havoc and fierce arguments against authority the year before. He was henceforth banished from the city, but he had sworn revenge against the villagers (before bursting into tears and running away). However, unknown to anyone, he had secretly planted a Blue Flower in front of town hall that had bloomed shortly after he left. No amount of pulling, whacking, or flaming could get rid of it. Villagers often felt like it stared at them as they walked past.

"It's not hard to ignore, guys," lied Dude dismissively. "I like to be reminded of Ray-ray as much as the next guy, but it's easy to just ignore."

"I've never heard TheLegend complain about it," said SFK.

"I've never heard TheLegend complain about anything," said Mashi. "Or talk at all."

"That's not nice, you guys," said Nebbles with a :<. "He has a skin condition. We shouldn't make fun of him."

"I've never heard of any skin condition that requires one to wear a mask at all times," said Kefka shrewdly.

"Yes, but--" Nebbles argued.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Winter frowned.

"Everyone's here... except Shado... but he couldn't make it..." he mused, getting up. He hesitated before answering the door.

JaMaHa, the young town mayor, walked in. Everyone immediately stood up and saluted him.

"As you were," said JaMaHa gravely. "I come bearing bad news."

This was bad... JaMaHa almost never delivered news in person. He usually sent Concerto, a city official, to do his dirty work. What could be the problem?

JaMaHa looked around somberly before continuing.

"Concerto is missing."

*Note that I have posted the chapters slightly out of chronological order. This is on purpose. Chapter One is already written and will be delivered in time.

Nebbles

Only will I see myself being described as using the ":<" face in a novel by you. XD

And hah. Blue flower. I see what you did there.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SuperFireKirby

PSSSSSSSS, HEY SLOW, THELEGEND WAS RAYRAY IN DISGUISE. Also, what with me being all ARROGANT to a degree and having words in all caps? That doesn't fit my personality AT ALL.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

fingerz

Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Mashi

This goes without saying, but A+++++++++.
I wouldn't want to be vain, but I enjoyed your interpretation of me (I'm the apotheosis of grace B) ) and many others.  But mostly me, ehehe.
I also find it interesting that you seem to avert parties.  You always appeared to me as introverted, but nevertheless somewhat gregarious (Though, perhaps it's too far of an presumption to view the disposition of you as a paradigm of yourself), but nevertheless, I think that this story (Like most of your other writings) is going to be an absolute success!

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

DrP

fingerz

Don't worry! We could be in Chapter 1. ;)

SlowPokemon

Actually, you guys shouldn't feel shunned. You'll have major parts as well, I think even Maestro. I can't have everybody at the party, it wouldn't work as well. Everybody who has expressed interest in this, regardless of whether they weren't in a certain chapter or on the character list, will have a part. So stop whining. In other news, chapter three is already written, I'll post it tomorrow.

MaestroUGC

Oh, I'm just giving you a hard time.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

DrP

I don't feel shunned. I know your writing logic, and it's all good.

I was just going along... haha.