News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Slow Reviews Soundtracks: A NinSheetMusic Column

Started by SlowPokemon, August 13, 2011, 07:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

I agree completely. Super Mario Galaxy(2)'s sountrack is just epic.

Did anyone else lol when they heard "SOAP!" and "Popcorn!" being sung during the Final Bowser music?

Nebbles

Aahhh Galaxy's soundtrack is flawless. I agree with Gusty Garden. My god. No words <3

ALSO YOU SHOULD REVIEW THE 2ND GALAXY AS WELL. THE MUSIC IS EVEN BETTER.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 06, 2011, 06:40:11 PMWhoa, this took me a while! Hope you guys read it, and I'm planning on reviewing the second game's soundtrack next week sometime! :)

But it may have to wait until after my review of Eternal Diva's soundtrack.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Soundtrack Review: Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva by Tomohito Nishiura

So. The latest chapter in the Layton saga without a doubt also has the best and highest quality music. This is due in part to the fact that Eternal Diva is a feature-length film, with a full orchestral score. It is also due to the fact that roughly 75% of the music consists of arranged music from the games. I am literally in heaven when I hear this soundtrack. Beautiful. Absolutely fantastic.

The soundtrack begins with "Cold Open," and it is the first of three arrangements of Professor Layton's Theme. It is also the best of the three, and a great opening to the film. This really is a great theme—mysterious, jazzy, tango-esque.

The soundtrack also includes the three puzzle themes so far. "Prologue to the Adventure" is a neat arrangement of the original, and "Puzzle Number 001" is of Unwound Future's; neither stray much from the original versions. "Puzzle Number 002" is beautiful, but is pretty much a carbon copy of the live version of "More Puzzles" on Last Specter's soundtrack.

Descole's Theme appears several times, the most extravagant version early in the soundtrack in "Departure to the Voyage." It actually gets somewhat tiresome after a while, I must admit, and none of the incarnations except the aforementioned one quite lives up to the live version on Last Specter's soundtrack.

Several of Curious Village's themes find their way here: "About London" is a cute and brief reference to "About Town" that will surely leave you grinning; "People of the Past" is an arrangement of "The Looming Tower" that's also quite distinctive; "Puzzle Number 004" is a nice little remix of "The Plot Thickens"; and "Adjusting the Pace" is a wacky remix of "Pursuit in the Night." All of them are quite nostalgic and fun.

Oh, and Diabolical Box fans might be disappointed in the lack of homage to the game, but will find brief fun in "Melina's Tenacity," which is a reference to the creepy theme "An Uneasy Atmosphere."

With the game arrangements out of the way, I can make way for some of the true magic—the new themes Nishiura has presented us with, as well as some filler tracks.

Nishiura composed several new themes for this film. The most extravagant and best by far is Whistler's Theme, which is prominent in a mere four tracks. We first are introduced briefly towards the beginning in "Detragan's Echoes," which is entirely an organ solo. The theme sounds quite haunting in this incarnation. "The Passionate Whistler" is the theme in full, and it is EXTRAVAGANT and BREATHTAKING and FANTASTIC and OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS. It's a gigantic, sweeping, bouncing orchestral incarnation. Listen to it. NOW. O_O "Father's Memories" is a roughly 30 second long piano piece, using only a single note at a time for a sad moment. Finally, in the best version (on par with The Passionate Whistler), "The Feelings Will Always be Close" is a sorrowful, epic, and completely beautiful. It's FANTASTIC.

Another theme he uses is the Theme of Ambrosia, which is only heard a few times. It's very whimsical and pretty but isn't as OMG AMAZING as the rest of the soundtrack.

"Detrigiganto's Theme" is heard a few times, with harsh pounding drums before some tense music. It's namely heard in the brief Compensation tracks.

Finally, there is the Eternal Diva's theme, not technically composed by Nishiura but orchestrated/conducted by him, which is referenced briefly in "Professor Layton's Piano" in a short piece. However, it is in the final track, the ending song, that it is fully fleshed out and is ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING. "The Eternal Diva/Janice Quatlane (CV Nana Mizuki)" is a beautiful, fantastic piece that begins with the harsh organ, and segues into a wondrous orchestral score—all backing up a lovely female voice singing the whimsical, powerful, and somewhat haunting theme. It's nearly seven minutes in length, and the final minute or so is taken up by a piano performance that really steals the show. Wonderful.

Some of the filler tracks are quite fun as well, and you'll find yourself having fun with "Future British Gentleman" and "Emmy's Efforts" which contain new themes for Luke and Emmy respectively, or the crisis situation "Puzzle Number 003", or the relaxed and fun "Rest" and even "The Final Battle" and "Approaching Pursuer"...but none of these will be as good as the ones I've mentioned above.

Overall: Nishiura's mind for genius is phenomenal and exceptionally prominent in this soundtrack, where orchestral capabilities are wonderfully available. The sky truly was the limit—and he surpassed it.

Rating: *****

Track list (excellent tracks in red):
1. Cold Open ~Professor Layton's Theme
2. Prologue to the Adventure ~Puzzles
3. Travel Guide ~Descole's Theme
4. Compensation 1 ~Detragiganto's Theme
5. Departure to the Voyage ~Descole's Theme
6. Detragan's Echoes ~Whistler's Theme

7. Rules for the Survivors ~An Uneasy Atmosphere
8. Puzzle Number 001 ~Puzzles Reinvented
9. Compensation 2 ~Detragiganto's Theme
10. Puzzle Number 002 ~More Puzzles
11. Melina's Tenacity ~An Uneasy Atmosphere
12. People of the Past ~The Looming Tower
13. The True Crown ~Descole's Theme
14. About London ~About Town
15. The Passionate Whistler ~Whistler's Theme
16. The Legendary Kingdom ~Theme of Ambrosia
17. Rest ~Time for a Break
18. Approaching Pursuer 1 ~Approaching Pursuer
19. Puzzle Number 003 ~Revolutionary Idea
20. Adjusting the Pace ~Pursuit in the Night
21. Compensation 3 ~Detrigiganto's Theme
22. Escape! ~Professor Layton's Theme
23. Puzzle Number 004 ~The Plot Thickens
24. Descole Appears ~Descole's Theme
25. Professor Layton's Piano ~Song of the Sea
26. Approaching Pursuer 2 ~Approaching Pursuer
27. Emmy's Efforts ~Emmy's Theme
28. Whistler's Experiment ~Dangerous Experiment
29. The Mystery Explained! ~Professor Layton's Theme
30. Great Conspiracy ~Descole, Ambrosia's Theme
31. Prelude to Destruction ~Descole's Theme
32. Detragiganto Appears ~Detragiganto's Theme
33. Janice's Crisis ~Tense Decision
34. Future British Gentleman ~Luke's Theme
35. The Final Battle ~Time of Conclusion
36. The Dream Collapses ~Theme of Ambrosia
37. Father's Memories ~Whistler's Theme
38. The Feelings Will Always Be Close ~Whistler's Theme
39. The Eternal Diva/Janice Quatlane (CV Nana Mizuki)

SlowPokemon

Soundtrack Review: Inception by Hans Zimmer

Well. Here we are, at the second Zimmer soundtrack I'm reviewing. This soundtrack, and its movie, has received several awards, and was notably nominated for the Academy Award "Best Original Score." And...quite honestly...I can't figure out why. Is it a good soundtrack? Of course. Pretty great, actually. Is it phenomenal? No. Not quite.

Zimmer himself has described it as a "very electronic" score, and I can somewhat see that. Mostly I think it's an epic score, not epic as in a freshman adjective, but epic in the way that The Odyssey is considered an epic. And I suppose the heavy brass and electric guitar do feel "electric" (not necessarily because the latter actually is). Another good word for this soundtrack is "trippy," as another review I read pointed out.

With only twelve tracks, and two bonus tracks, it is a rather short album in that respect. Some of the tracks are rather lengthy, though, so maybe that's how that works out? Either way, on to the review...

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Hans Zimmer is a man all about simplicity. His music is for the most part all exceedingly simple. Zimmer just has a fabulous flair for making simple sound dramatic—be it tempo, orchestration, dynamics... It's all very well done, despite the music itself being somewhat lackluster. This is why I consider Hans Zimmer to be a genius, essentially.

"Half Remembered Dream" is the opening track, and all is silent for about twenty to thirty seconds before far away in the distance, two harsh brass notes sound. Then again. Then again. THEN AGAIN. THEN AGAIN. And then all is quiet again, the crescendo abruptly halting. "What the f*** was that?" you say to yourself. Well, I will tell you, you have just been introduced to Zimmer's score.

Here is a brief intermission during which I will explain something to you about that track. Okay, in the movie... hmm... well, there's this... hmm... on second thought, just watch this youtube video and prepare to have your mind somewhat blown, if you didn't already know about this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

Got it? Remember how I said Zimmer was a genius? Yeah, you agree with me now, am I right? Okay, moving on.

"We Built Our Own World" is next, and it's quite interesting, to say the least. It introduces a haunting theme that will be used later for the relationship between Cobb and Mal. It's quite effective, especially if you've seen the movie and know the backstory.

Next we have simply the best piece on the soundtrack, and probably the most recognizable: "Dream Is Collapsing." If you haven't heard this piece yet, you really should. It's Zimmer at his best. It is incredibly simple. All of it. No exceptions. Only one general chord progression is used throughout. It is quite dangerous at the beginning, but the true amazingness comes about a minute and a half into the song. The two brass notes are prominent in this wonderfully dangerous piece that I consider to be perfectly suited to the apocalypse.

"Radical Notion" is repetitive and annoyingly simple. Not really much to be seen here...or, rather, heard.

"Old Souls" is quite the oddity. It's a seven and a half minute overture dedicated to the haunting theme representing Mal. Slow, sorrowful, slightly creepy, and undeniably compelling and beautiful; the piece is a magnificent work of art, although it is admittedly lengthy. It ends in a fantastic crescendo, very dramatic. It's worth at least one listen, in my opinion.

"528491" is quite interesting. The sorrowful, building strings don't feel that electronic in one of the more tense and noteworthy moments of the score.

"Mombasa" also feels slightly out of place, as it is one of the few places on the album we hear any percussion. It's quite fun but dangerous, and it's extremely fast-paced. It's rather popular, though I don't care for it as much as some of the other pieces.

"One Simple Idea" is repetitive but undeniably catchy. It plays for pretty much the entire first thirty minutes of the movie—or at least that's what it felt like to me.

"Dream Within A Dream" is quite good. It begins with the "Dream Is Collapsing" idea before becoming tense and ending in the last fifteen or so seconds with a motif that is actually quite frightening. Wonderful; Zimmer does great here.

"Waiting For A Train," at approximately nine and a half minutes, is the longest piece on the album, and follows a similar path to "Old Souls." It's more drawn out and has more variety, though, at seven minutes briefly using the French song mentioned in the youtube video above. It ends in a trippy, quirky-tempo main theme idea seen in earlier tracks.

"Paradox" is slow, and...uhh, kinda boring... not really noteworthy at all.

"Time," on the other hand, is brilliant. It's really the only song that sounds at all happy on the album. It's a dramatic, tear-jerking crescendo that feels electric but also wholesome rather than hollow... it's a great piece.

The two bonus tracks are good and worth downloading (they are free downloads on the official site, http://www.inceptionscore.com) although they do feel like a rehash of the entire soundtrack. "Projections" is not boring by any means, despite having a similar length to "Old Souls." It ends with the Dream Is Collapsing motif, making for a fun idea. "Don't Think About Elephants" is chaotic and fun to listen to... basically, if you liked the soundtrack, the two bonus tracks are more of the same thing. No new material, really.

Rating: ****

Track list (excellent tracks in red):
1. Half Remembered Dream
2. We Built Our Own World
3. Dream Is Collapsing
4. Radical Notion
5. Old Souls
6. 528491
7. Mombasa

8. One Simple Idea
9. Dream Within A Dream
10. Waiting For A Train

11. Paradox
12. Time
13. Projections (Bonus Track)
14. Don't Think About Elephants (Bonus Track)

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

what is bwom... ??? big waste of money?

SuperFireKirby

-_- Dat noise in one of the tracks that everyone always mimics for fun.

http://zipmic.dk/sjov/bwoon.swf

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Soundtrack Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Danny Elfman

Warner Brothers' Tim Burton-directed venture into Roald Dahl's classic book was a great movie, in my opinion, and I liked it better than the original. This soundtrack, while not often thought of when Danny Elfman is mentioned, is in truth a fantastic album. Throughout, I can't help having a smile on my face—be it one of joy or wickedness. It's a great soundtrack; I can't understand why I've never really listened to it before.

The album is arranged with the five vocal songs first, in chronological order, followed by the score, which is mainly in chronological order.

The vocal songs, each performed by Danny Elfman, are fantastic. "Wonka's Welcome Song" is simply brilliant. Not because it is necessarily a great song, but because of what it stands for—I think Elfman wrote this as a mockery of cheerful theme park songs, and specifically "It's a Small World." It's ridiculously cheerful, and the lyrics are laughable. The scene in the movie is especially great, with all the Small World-esque puppets melting and bursting into flames.

Next we have the Oompa-Loompa songs, each with lyrics taken from Roald Dahl's genius poems in the book rather than paying homage to the creepy Oompa-Loompa songs in the 1971 adaptation (thank god). "Augustus Gloop," a Bollywood-style Indian theme, is catchy and foreign enough to be a great opener for the Oompa-Loompas (all played hilariously by Deep Roy in the movie). "Violet Beauregarde" seems to be acknowledging disco tunes of the 80s, with an upbeat song with plenty of synthesizer to go around. "Veruca Salt" is a hilarious theme that almost feels like it mocks the 70s's peace movements and hippies. Finally, "Mike Teavee" is more like head-banging music, reminiscent of Queen and, at one moment, The Beatles (who are referenced with a sight gag). They're all very catchy and very funny.

On to the score! "Main Titles" really sets the stage for the album. Opening with a creepy waltz that becomes a sort of Willy Wonka theme, and moving into the main theme for the movie, which is a creepy metallic factory theme. Everything is very Elfman-esque and is dramatic, with a great flair. Listen a little more closely and you can hear Elfman chanting "OOMPA LOOMPA" over and over when the chorus of the theme hits.

"Wonka's First Shop" uses a bit of Wonka's theme, with a sort of cheerful and zany mix. "The Indian Palace" is obviously Indian-influenced in the first half, set in a boiling desert. It works well for the scene and is a bizarre and brief deviation. The second half is largely dark and builds on the main theme. "Wheels in Motion" begins with a sweet theme for the Bucket family, and then segues into a brief reprisal of the main theme before becoming madcap, referencing the styles of several different countries. "Charlie's Birthday Bar" returns to the slow strings of the Buckets. It's poignant and beautiful.

"The Golden Ticket/Factory" is also a winner, beginning with hopeful and happy music before turning into a somewhat nightmarish waltz as a factory theme which is played upon for the remainder of the piece. It actually segues into the next track, "Chocolate Explorers," which plays on more of the same style but with different elements and themes, becoming haunting and mysterious. "Loompa Land" is a bizarre jungle expedition theme that begins with Elfman's crazy "UGGA CHUGGA" chanting. Very, very odd but fun to listen to. "The Boat Arrives" uses a weird ritual-sounding slow humming which becomes a grand, majestic piece. The humming serves as the main theme for "The River Cruise" and "The River Cruise – Part 2," which really don't add much to the soundtrack.

"First Candy" is haunting and brilliant, using Wonka's waltz theme for the flashback. It begins slowly but becomes powerful. "Up and Out," on the other hand, begins with a wonderfully frantic string movement that joins with a creepy chorus before becoming more relaxed. "Charlie Declines" and "Finale" both build on the bittersweet string theme for the Buckets, signifying a happy ending. Finally, "End Credit Suite" is a montage of the five songs, with instrumental bits, serving as an interesting ending as Elfman typically composes a separate end credit theme.

Overall: This is a wonderful Elfman score, and unless I'm mistaken was my first introduction to his music six years ago. Definitely worth a listen or even a buy.

Score: ***

Track Listing (excellent tracks in red):
1. Wonka's Welcome Song
2. Augustus Gloop
3. Violet Beauregarde
4. Veruca Salt
5. Mike Teavee
6. Main Titles

7. Wonka's First Shop
8. The Indian Palace
9. Wheels in Motion
10. Charlie's Birthday Bar
11. Golden Ticket/Factory

12. Chocolate Explorers
13. Loompa Land
14. The Boat Arrives
15. The River Cruise
16. First Candy
17. Up and Out

18. The River Cruise – Part 2
19. Charlie Declines
20. Finale
21. End Credit Suite

SuperFireKirby

Gene Wilder > Johnny Depp

Also, the old Oompa Loompa songs were a million times better than the new ones.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 20, 2011, 01:31:23 PMGene Wilder > Johnny Depp

:( aww

I don't agree.

I can kinda see the Gene Wilder thing, but I didn't mention Depp's performance. You should do a comparative review in your thread! :D

triforced1

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 20, 2011, 01:31:23 PMGene Wilder > Johnny Depp

^

The movie was great, just the old one was better.

SlowPokemon

Soundtrack Review: Kiki's Delivery Service by Joe Hisaishi

So this is my...third? No, fourth...review of a soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi. He's a brilliant musician with a lot of talent for making music perfect for Miyazaki's wonderful films. Ponyo, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are obviously his masterpieces. However, today we take a look at one of his early soundtracks, Kiki's Delivery Service, from 1989.

Even though it is an older one, Hisaishi was at this point by no means a novice composer. For Miyazaki alone, he had already scored the films Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: The Castle in the Sky, and My Neighbor Totoro. Nausicaa and Laputa used deeper, more emotionally moving scores while Totoro used an overall happier score. Kiki draws more from Totoro's style of happier, less complex music, but in my opinion does a better job of creating an effective score.

The main theme is introduced in the first track, "On a Clear Day..." It is a waltz, simplistic in nature; but the simplicity works very well in the film. It reminds me of a blue sky, with clouds lazily rolling by. Or, perhaps more fitting with the movie, Kiki floating by aimlessly on a broomstick. The piece gives an impression of content, nostalgia, and general all-around warmth. It also is the first of many tracks to interestingly use the harpsichord. This piece is meant to be a main theme and indeed it shows up in several other tracks.

The theme in "Departure" is also great, being a more heartfelt piece that captures the more sad bits of the movie. It really fits with anyone leaving home, bittersweet with the beauty of life. The somewhat cliché piano gives way shortly to strings that portray the music in a better fashion.

"A Town With an Ocean View" is clearly one of the big winners on the soundtrack. The intro in itself is powerful enough, but the theme for the next two minutes or so of the piece is fantastic, being classic Hisaishi that captures the more amazing events. It segues into a somewhat out-of-place ending theme that functions as a catchy waltz for the hustle and bustle of the market and the city.

"Flying Delivery Service" is almost a carbon copy of "On a Clear Day..."; there isn't much new.

The brief deviation "Helping the Baker" is very nice, fast and happy as the newly-settled-in Kiki expresses her excitement and joy. For one brief moment, I can hear a slight foreshadowing of Howl's Moving Castle.

The next piece, "Starting the Job," is one that I simply cannot listen to without a silly smile spreading across my face. It just has such a fun, upbeat, immediately catchy melody. It's simple, but it works and it's fun.

"Substitute Jiji" is also a fun one, a silly and bouncy ragtime-ish piano piece that is perfect for the classic funny scene of Jiji pretending to be a stuffed cat as a giant dog, Jeff, examines it. Jiji's breakout of sweat and discomfort is Miyazaki comedy at its best and this music goes perfectly with the scene.

Speaking of which, the next piece, "Jeff," is dedicated to the dog. It uses clumsy, awkward brass to represent the lumbering dog and even brings the brass into the main waltz theme towards the end, making for a very bouncy motif: the strings are flying high as the brass tries to pull it down to earth... it's a great piece.

"Very Busy Kiki" and "Late for the Party" use the hustle-and-bustle theme heard previously in "A Town With an Ocean View," building upon it and playing with the idea, making it tense in the latter track.

"Osono's Request..." is a beautiful piece. Beginning with an accordion version of the intro from the Town With an Ocean View track, it then becomes a rendition of the "Departure" theme.

"Propeller Bicycle" is...different, at the very least. It's energetic but the melody isn't as catchy as—nor does it fell well into—the rest of the soundtrack.

The terror-stricken "I Can't Fly!" is also a somewhat odd deviation, but its follow-up "Heartbroken Kiki" creates a perfect fit for the soundtrack, sounding similar to all the great main themes but never directly referencing any of them.

To stick to the foundation, "To Ursula's Cabin" builds on the main waltz theme, making it prettier and better suited to the more poignant scenes.

"A Mysterious Cabin" is reminiscent of some of the more mellow tracks from Totoro; it's mysterious (as the name might suggest) and is very different from the rest of the album.

"The Adventure of Freedom, Out of Control" is a tense track that's admittedly fun, while "The Old Man's Deck Brush" is a wild suite for the climax of the film.

Finally, Hisaishi uses a more upbeat and fast version of the main waltz theme to end the soundtrack on a happy note with "Rendezvous on the Deck Brush."

As a side note, the two vocal songs add to the score, particularly the bouncy "Message of Rouge."

Rating: *****

Track Listing (Excellent Tracks in Red)
1. On a Clear Day...
2. Departure
3. A Town With an Ocean View

4. Flying Delivery Service
5. Helping the Baker
6. Starting the Job
7. Substitute Jiji
8. Jeff

9. Very Busy Kiki
10. Late for the Party
11. Osono's Request
12. Propeller Bicycle
13. I Can't Fly!
14. Heartbroken Kiki
15. To Ursula's Cabin
16. A Mysterious Cabin
17. The Adventure of Freedom, Out of Control
18. The Old Man's Deck Brush
19. Rendezvous on the Deck Brush
20. Message of Rouge
21. If I've Been Enveloped By Tenderness

Meta-Ridley

Am I allowed to review something? and can it be a game's soundtrack?

SlowPokemon