So, who's heard of Bernstein?

Started by Brassman388, August 04, 2011, 01:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassman388

I was thinking; There've been quite a bit of people asking, "how can I improve as a musician?" Or, "How do I find easier ways to arrange better and faster?" I figured there could be an easy answer to that. Have a discussion about it rather than post a million topics about it.

Which brings me to the title of my post. I've been watching quite a bit of videos on this Bernstein fellow and found many of the topics he talks about useful to my own arranging and composition. I'll post some videos later when I have more time but for now; post some questions about a challenge you came across or just a general question you have and I'll get back to you as soon as I can about it.

Jub3r7

I was one of the people who started those topics; it was something along the lines of asking what the best way is to learn rhythm notation.

Of course practice is the obvious way, but I need to learn the technique before I practice it.
But yeah, the question is, what is the best way to learn rhythm notation? A video on it will probably help more than people telling me to practice. :P
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Brassman388

Start with quarter notes then with the occasional eighth note. Look at notation when you're doing this and remember to keep it simple. After you done that, start with eighth notes and accent a few notes at a time. My favorite diddle is the every three eighth-note accent. You can hear this pattern in alot of themes that Nobuo produces. Once you got that down, go faster.

When it comes to rhythms, everything is relative.