News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

A question for those Apple owners...

Started by Ragster2448, July 05, 2011, 07:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragster2448

If someone uses the App Store on an Apple, can someone answer this for me; How long should the download time be for an app? I'm currently downloading an App, and at the rate it's going, I estimate it will done in 5 days. Is that average? The only reason I downloaded the App was to get it quicker than from buying it on Ebay, but obviously it's slower. I'm really frustrated that it's taking this long. Can someone help me out here?

Jamaha

Depends on the size of the app and the speed of your internet connection.

Ragster2448

Well, the App is 2.14 GB. It's a full computer game, so I guess that would make it slow, but my internet connection is fine (just got it upgraded, actually).

EDIT: Wierd, now when I download it, it says it's only going to take a few hours... That's an improvement, but still seems kind of long.

Cobraroll

(from http://xkcd.com/612/)

Trying to estimate how much time a given computer task takes is pretty hard...
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Ragster2448

^ That totally describes it! One second it says three hours remaining, then the next it says one hours remaining, then the next it's four hours remaining.

fabbemannen

Thank you Cobra! I've always loved that pic xd Good to see it again

DrP

I'm guessing it's the Mac App Store (cause I doubt there is a 2.14 GB app in the iOS App Store)

It really all depends on internet speed, and partly some of the Mac's internal guts and if you're doing other things on the computer that may be extensive.

WiiMan96

Yeah, on a half-decent internet connection, a few hours sounds about right. It might take half an hour for some and a year for others. Depends on ISP, whether it's cabled or wireless, and your internet plan and hardware. It'd take me two hours or so, but I'm on a shared wireless network.

Cobraroll

Just a question: what kind of app uses 2.14 GB of space?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Ragster2448

It was Star Wars: Empire at War, I loved that game on my old PC (until it crashed) so I decided to get it for Mac. It's done downloading already, and it brings back good memories! ;D I think that it's a pretty decent RTS game.

DrP

I'm on wireless with a shitty 3.29 Mbps download speed -- some Verizon 3G is faster.

Cable brings me a crapton more (like 45 Mbps), but I can't connect to it because of where it is in my house.

It takes me about 2 hours to download a 2 GB file or so.

So, it's all good.

(and those guys in south korea can download 1 GB files in like <10 minutes)