Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

#what4thwall

Played by yours truly on a Roland FP-30 Digital Piano, MIDI-captured via Pro Tools, and (special thanks to 1f1n1ty) mixed and rendered in FL Studio.

I feel the original track's orchestration was less poignant than it could be due to overuse of instruments of similar timbre, resulting in a imbalance of the frequency spectrum that offsets the peaceful and warm nature of the composition itself. This song plays first when, for the first time in the PMD series, the partner acknowledges the player too must have a family... only for them to then confess they have none of their own. For the longtime PMD fan, it is validating moment wherein the player is finally recognized for their humanity, but also a heart-wrenching moment in light of the partner's lack of familial companionship. I hope to have orchestrated this piano reduction in a way that speaks to these thematic elements justly.

SoundCloud

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

{NEW}(#36):Good Night     

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

mikey

unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Wow impressive arrangement! Really an arrangement "of quality" (as usual :P).

(Also funny how I kind of feel like the sound of the piano was too "sonorous". Being probably one of the few times I disagree with you rather than looking up to you, Ben (the other being your ending on "Sadness" from Zelda: OOA/OOS). And it makes me feel some sort of pride, like I have "surpassed" me master and chosen my own way to go (you being my biggest inspiration when it comes to arranging (and maybe other things as well), and that makes me also feel a bit special. :) )) 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

You forgot to put the "い" in "おやすみなさい" in the title
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Nitro Indigo

Upon listening to it again, your cover of Good Night makes me think of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Bespinben

#12/8awwyiss

The track "Pokémon Friends" (ポケモンの仲間達) in the PMD Gates to Infinity soundtrack is an interesting case of poor translation. Surely ones first impression when hearing the cutesy term "pokemon friends" would not elicit feelings of a bombastic, militant march in compound time. The key is understanding the difference between "nakamatachi" and "tomodachi". While both denote a form of friendship, the former is more so used to describe a group of people bound together by a common cause, and may not necessarily like eachother, thus moreso a friendship of circumstance. A more effective English translation for this track would use words like "comrade" or "fellow", words that would more readily invoke the militant feeling of the musical content.

SoundCloud

{NEW}(#38):Pokémon Friends: Arrangement     

mikey

This is a congratulatory post with excited tone describing my favorite parts of the arrangement that commends you on your use of great arranging technique
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Bespinben

#ChronoMon

The track "Stirrings of Hope: March" (希望のテーマ マーチ) is a brilliant reorchestration of titular Theme of Hope. While the original is primarily diatonic in its harmonic spectrum (sans a flavorful V/V secondary dominant towards the end) the "March" rendition is lush with modulations and modal mixture (chiefly, borrowing from the parallel minor). Coincidentally, these characteristics were easily exploitable for the additional coda I wrote for this arrangement, as the structural and harmonic similarities in the C section of the piece allowed itself to be easily swapped out for a similarly composed classic SNES JRPG that shall not be named.

SoundCloud

{NEW}(#28):Stirrings of Hope: March     

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 18, 2017, 06:38:20 PMThis is a congratulatory post with excited tone describing my favorite parts of the arrangement that commends you on your use of great arranging technique
This style of communication is most agreeable. You are hereby acknowledged.

Altissimo

hey ben!

so i think i've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum but i'm thinking about making my topic for my graduate thesis the music of mystery dungeon. Would it be all right if I cited your arrangements in the paper if I needed to? Specifically...
1) Can I cite your arrangements from the NSM website?
2) Can I cite arrangements that are in the thread but NOT on the NSM website?
3) Are there any arrangements that you'd rather I DIDN'T use? (I'm not talking ones that you think you could have done a better job on, because for the purpose of my thesis that's not as big of an issue as whether or not the arrangements are at least accurate. So, I'm asking if there are any sheets you think are inaccurate and you'd rather I didn't use.)

This goes for any Mystery Dungeon arranger who sees this, but Ben is the most prominent one so that's why I'm asking here lol.

I'd love it if you could respond quickly, because if the answer is no that means I need to start working on completing my own arrangements!!

Altissimo

I should clarify I'm probably only going to be focusing on Mystery Dungeon 1 and 2

(This double post is here so it doesn't get lost in the previous post!)

Bespinben

For your given medium (i.e. academia), I recommend creating excerpts from scratch to fit your specific needs. You are welcome to use any of my materials, but just know it may not be right for the application. The problem is that anything made 2012 or earlier suffers from poor engraving quality (while mostly accurate to the source), while anything made 2014 and beyond are idiomatically interpreted and optimized for piano, making them unsuitable as scholarly reference material.

Altissimo

point taken, i just figured i'd get permission ahead of time in case i DID use them :B thanks!!