Started by SuperFireKirby, June 03, 2011, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

My favorite shows (in order)
Top 3.

1. Star Trek Voyager
2. Monk
3. White Collar

I've watched Star Trek Voyager my whole life. I remember watching the Show's Finale when it aired for the first time in 2001.......yes I was 3 :P

Maelstrom

I just don't like TV shows that much. But Sherlock is great.

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 30, 2015, 01:09:41 PMI just don't like TV shows that much. But Sherlock is great.
Normally I dont either.
There is only a few I actually like.....

SuperFireKirby

Sherlock is good, but it suffers from all the same Moffat writing tropes as Doctor Who does now, which makes both of them kind of annoying to watch. They made the villain a witty, flirtatious brunette that likes to kiss our protagonist? Who could have guessed?!?!

He's is an great writer, but only when he doesn't have total creative control. Every Moffat episode of DW before he took over as show runner was fantastic. Not so much anymore.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 30, 2015, 02:46:51 PMSherlock is good, but it suffers from all the same Moffat writing tropes as Doctor Who does now, which makes both of them kind of annoying to watch. They made the villain a witty, flirtatious brunette that likes to kiss our protagonist?
sorry but when in sherlock did that ever happen
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

Whoever Sherlock's witty, flirtatious love interest is. Ya know, what's-her-face. There are at least 5 other character Moffat has written who are basically the exact same character.(That bank lady from season 8, that one lady on the spaceship from Matt Smith's last episode, the last villainess of season 8 who is still kind of a spoiler, River Song if you stretch it, the one-eye lady from season 6). And, mind you, this is just one of the many tropes Moffat uses consistently(I think Waddle could do a better job at this).

It's not that bad if you haven't seen both Sherlock and Doctor Who tho, I guess. But I have only watched half of Sherlock, so idunno.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 30, 2015, 02:46:51 PMSherlock is good, but it suffers from all the same Moffat writing tropes as Doctor Who does now, which makes both of them kind of annoying to watch. They made the villain a witty, flirtatious brunette that likes to kiss our protagonist? Who could have guessed?!?!

He's is an great writer, but only when he doesn't have total creative control. Every Moffat episode of DW before he took over as show runner was fantastic. Not so much anymore.
^I agree with this 100%

Shoutout to the American version of Sherlock, Elementary, which is soooo much better than the British one, pulling off the modern twist that Sherlock is trying to pull ten times better. The cast in Elementary is A fucking nonuple plus, for example if you think Bendydick Crumplehorn is a great Sherlock, you haven't seen JONNY FUCKING LEE MILLER. That's just one example of the fantastic cast, but I recommend you not to check out the full list before watching Season 1, cuz spoilers.
The show is currently airing its third season, and like Parks & Rec, I intend to marathon it after the third season finishes next month. I've seen the two first seasons and three episodes of the latest season and it's still going strong.

It's my favourite crime drama. And 75% of the television shows I watch is crime drama.

On the subject of British detectives and crime drama, Luther is also a bloody fantastic crime drama. It's a little short, but it's definitely one of my top recommendations when people ask me what show to watch on Netflix.

mikey

I like Elementary as much as the next guy but as far as crime drama goes I prefer Criminal Minds or NCIS.
The reason I like Sherlock so much is because of how well it follows the original stories (minus some modernizations)
And SFK at first I thought you were talking about Molly but I guess Irene Adler counts, sort of
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

Fack, thanks for reminding me about Luther, Woodle. I have been wanting to watch it for a long time, because it looks fucking brilliant but it just keeps slipping my mind. Idris Elba <3<3<3

Maelstrom

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 30, 2015, 03:38:12 PMShoutout to the American version of Sherlock, Elementary, which is soooo much better than the British one, pulling off the modern twist that Sherlock is trying to pull ten times better.
Will look it up.
Haven't watched much Dr. Who, btw so it's not like I already know that type of character.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 30, 2015, 12:53:49 PMMy favorite shows (in order)
Top 3.

1. Star Trek Voyager
2. Monk
3. White Collar

I've watched Star Trek Voyager my whole life. I remember watching the Show's Finale when it aired for the first time in 2001.......yes I was 3 :P
You have earned Kefka Brownie Points because Voyager is great.  I watched through the whole series last year and enjoyed the hell out of it.  I'm still not sure whether I prefer it to DS9, as I enjoyed both so much once they kicked their way out of the starting slump.

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 31, 2015, 03:11:09 AMYou have earned Kefka Brownie Points because Voyager is great.  I watched through the whole series last year and enjoyed the hell out of it.  I'm still not sure whether I prefer it to DS9, as I enjoyed both so much once they kicked their way out of the starting slump.
Sweet!
What's a starting slump?

Waddle Bro

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 30, 2015, 06:03:29 PMFack, thanks for reminding me about Luther, Woodle. I have been wanting to watch it for a long time, because it looks fucking brilliant but it just keeps slipping my mind. Idris Elba <3<3<3
It honestly is brilliant. Elba is brilliant and all, but
Season 1, Ep. 1
I especially fell in love with Ruth Wilson's character. Alice Morgan is possibly one of my favourite psychopaths I've seen and I still quote her from time to time.
[close]

KefkaticFanatic

DS9 especially had it where the show just takes a while to figure itself out.  Most of the first season ranged between subpar to lousy, but it quickly improves in later ones.  TNG is also notorious for this.

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

Yeah voyager kinda does that.
First episode is great but the rest of the first season is kinda lousy. It starts getting great around the end of season 2.