Made mah day.

Started by ETFROXX, April 14, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

what was your thesis on/may I read it?
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: Harvest on March 07, 2018, 01:11:22 PMsnip

I was duolingo, memrise, vocab, and grammar daily which would amount to around 2-3 hours. I think the difference is that you were translating actual things (books, music, news, conversations, etc.) whereas I was trying to learn in a vacuum. Switching to japanese because spanish is near useless in Hawaii but yeah, definitly going to incorporate your techniques!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Harvest

Quote from: mikey on March 07, 2018, 01:59:23 PMwhat was your thesis on/may I read it?

It was a Political Science/International Development thesis comparing secular development NGOs and Christian faith-based organizations in Guatemala.  Mostly looking at personal motivations/resiliency and the use of religion as a tool to build trust. If you still want to read it I can send it to you.

Quote from: FireArrow on March 07, 2018, 04:19:25 PMduolingo,

I used to use duolingo a lot but these days I find it to be pretty annoying and useless.  To make great progress you need something you can enjoy...hence me translating fairy tales.  2-3 hours a day is a very good amount.  Sometimes I get that or more, sometimes much less.
-

mikey

Quote from: Harvest on March 07, 2018, 05:45:48 PMIt was a Political Science/International Development thesis comparing secular development NGOs and Christian faith-based organizations in Guatemala.  Mostly looking at personal motivations/resiliency and the use of religion as a tool to build trust. If you still want to read it I can send it to you.
most definitely
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: FireArrow on March 07, 2018, 04:19:25 PMI was duolingo, memrise, vocab, and grammar daily which would amount to around 2-3 hours. I think the difference is that you were translating actual things (books, music, news, conversations, etc.) whereas I was trying to learn in a vacuum. Switching to japanese because spanish is near useless in Hawaii but yeah, definitly going to incorporate your techniques!
If you switch to japanese, don't  try to translate folk tales. Instead, try to translate light novels. Those have intentionally simplified vocabularies and sentence structure.

Harvest

^yes, I may have forgotten to mention, the fairy tales I have been translating have been perhaps too literary for a beginner.  They probably weren't a good starting point as some of the vocab isn't used regularly in common speech, but I stuck with it because I have been enjoying it so much.  I sometimes ask my friend in Mexico about certain words that I suspect aren't used much.  I once used the verb aflijar (to get upset) and she said I sounded like her grandma, maybe even older.
-

E. Gadd Industries

:D I found a roommate for cooleg!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

Brainy isn't going to UK, so no. I'll leave it to him to tell where he's going, in case he doesn't want to say
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

woah man you're going to Britain??! that's awesome man
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

AmpharosAndy

y u com her leaf me be
wear bouts m8?
innit

BrainyLucario

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on March 15, 2018, 01:05:27 PMy u com her leaf me be
wear bouts m8?
He means University of Kentucky. I'm going to Murray state university
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

E. Gadd Industries

I gotta remember to stop abbreviating X)
@Andy yeahhhh sorry mang. :/ I would love to travel one day to Britain, though, and if I do, you will definitely hear about it!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

SlowPokemon

this actually happened last week but I finished my 17 page paper about Beethoven's hammerklavier sonata almost two weeks early and no offense but it's amazing
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

AmpharosAndy

innit