spitllama's first arrangement

Started by spitllama, August 15, 2011, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

Well after asking millions of questions I think I have something at least decent. The Shadow Siren Battle Theme is here. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. How does this look? ::) Also Brassman I put you on as an arranger for all your help. Lemme know if that's not okay.

On the third "movement" I had some optional notes that sound really... strange on Finale. But I know they're in the actual song (just much lighter).
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

fingerz

O.O

I'll check that out on the weekend! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

spitllama

Submissions Page

Brassman388

I'll get back to you on what you can improve on.

Also, I recommend you change whatever program you're using. This version seem to be a little... screwy. Just a tip.

Other than that, it looks like it's coming along nicely. Great job and keep working at it.

spitllama

Screwy? Right now I'm using Finale 2011 to create the pieces, and saving them under Finale 2008 Reader (only way to get them onto mediafire)
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

shadow siren battle.

measure 1
I believe the correct notes in the right hand are C, G, F#/Gb, G#/Ab, G.
I hear the last two notes in the bass as Gb's. I think that pattern persists throughout the piece.

measures 15-18

are those high G(b)'s necessary in the right hand? they seem cumbersome and don't really add too much. especially in 18 where the largest interval is a 13th on beat 2 and 4.

measures 19-26
I don't think those courtesy notes in the right hand are really necessary to have. they make it unnecessarily to play and the way you have them written distorts the melody's rhythms.

measure 22, 30

I believe the left hand plays an eight-sixteenth-sixteenth rhythm there not the triplet you have written.

measure 30

four tied eighth notes is unnecessary, replace it with a half note. also I don't think it needs to be tied to the last two beats.

Quote from: spitllama on August 15, 2011, 06:09:01 PMScrewy? Right now I'm using Finale 2011 to create the pieces, and saving them under Finale 2008 Reader (only way to get them onto mediafire)
playback is set to always play on measure 30. you can change it with the megaphone looking icon next to where you set the tempo. I'd recommend putting it on "current counter setting"
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Thanks Shado!

Fixed

All of your advice has been applied. My only concerns are

1) C doesn't sound right to start the piece

2) The last two notes in the bass as Gb's sound strange

3) Did I change the triplets correctly?

4) Is the left-hand correct in 19-30? I was having a really hard time hearing it correctly
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

1) the C should be an octave below. sorry for not mentioning that in my post.
2) that's what I hear in the timpani. you can double check if you'd like (get headphones :P)
3) yeah but beat 4 should be two eighth notes.
4) sounds right to me.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Submissions Page