SlowPokemon's Compositions!

Started by SlowPokemon, November 08, 2010, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

So I made a level theme. It's for a volcano, so I made a harsh, steady pounding of piano and bass drum in the background. I also incorporated a little of the main theme for a brief second (I want to include it a little in every level). It's still nothing that great but it is better than the other one, or so I'd like to believe.

Trapped Volcano Level Theme

I would love feedback beyond belief but it doesn't really matter I guess since they've already approved it. :P
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

dahans

Did you ever use the viola? xD Didn't realize. Your piece is really repititive. Try to be a bit more creative with the instrumentation. The melody is good IMO, but you could vary it a bit more. But it's definitely getting better, well done!

The bass drum reminds me of a heartbeat. That's why I would have loughed it if you increased the tempo by the end (~nervous tension).

Well done!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SlowPokemon

Okay. Here I wrote something that I think may be somewhat better. I don't know. I would really appreciate any opinions... but I doubt I'll get many. :P

Desert Theme
MUS
MIDI

BTW please don't listen to the Midi, I don't know why I uploaded it. The timpani's not playing right in the midi. :< listen to the song on the MUS file.

pumpy_heart

I like it. Simplistic, but it works.
I was wondering why you spelled the G# as Ab in the flute and oboe. Seems a bit odd. Did you mean for that note to be thought of as Ab instead of G#?
The bowing in the violin means that you alternate down bows and up bows with every note, consequently alternating down bows with up bows on each beat. Did you mean for this to happen or did you not care how they bowed it?

SlowPokemon

A) yeah I should've marked it as G#. Thanks!
B) I didn't even think about bowing! This was made for a friend's video game, so it's meant to be heard, not played. I mostly concentrated on sound rather than playability.

:) thanks for feedback!

SlowPokemon

Thanks!

Adventure Theme!! is the theme I composed today. It's impossible to play (in this format, at least) and it's pretty simple but it's my favorite of all of them so far! So please do me a favor and listen! :) Ignore the impossibility of the piece... it's not meant to be played, it's meant to be heard.

Thanks guys!

pumpy_heart

I like the piece. It's definitely playable, as long as you have 2 a part at times. Flutes can play that run easy.
The Melody contrasts with the Eb used near the "end" of the piece. If you fully expanded this chord to a V7/IV (use the notes of the F Major Triad plus the Eb) the effect of the contrast might not be as severe.
Good job though.

dahans

The beginning reminds me of abandoned ship, you just use different chords ;). Anyway, I do like it! Especially the way you use the woodwinds! (stupid finale can't play them properly). But you could be a little bit more creative with the piano. The piano is ALWAYS (which is sad, somehow...) a solo instrument, which means the bass might be a bit boring for the player. But good work! (Your range of chords has increased a lot!)
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SlowPokemon

Lol! I never noticed the abandoned ship thing! It's exactly the same rhythm, though, now that you mention it.

The thing I realized after composing it is that the melody also takes the exact same rhythm as the beginning of Gusty Garden. :P Maybe other composers are having a subconscious influence on me! :P

SlowPokemon

I have completed production on the soundtrack for Trapped!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?im1kngn89cl08xt

^There is a ZIP file containing all thirteen songs. For the cutscenes, I took the main or opening part from the area music the cutscene takes place in. Basically, it introduces the player to the music before he really hears it. Here's the layout of the soundtrack:

1. Title (Main Theme) -- the title screen music. I introduce the main theme for the game, extremely simple and repetitive, but it fits the game in my opinion. It was inspired a lot by Hans Zimmer, who I don't like a whole lot, but who has a talent for making simple music sound dramatic.

2. Cutscene 1 (Approaching Cave) -- I took the piano part from the cave theme for this cutscene.

3. A Cave Story -- the cave theme music. The piano is supposed to sound like echoes, or maybe bats fluttering around overhead. The rest is very creepy. It's also simple, but I really like what I did with the instrumentation, looking back.

4. Cutscene (Approaching Volcano) -- I took the piano and bass drum thuds from the volcano theme.

5. I Lava the Volcano -- the volcano theme music. I used the piano and bass drum as a sort of reference point to base everything else off of. It was important to me that the piano be playing repetitive quarter notes the whole song, as that's the motif I was hit by when I started thinking about what a volcano would sound like. This is probably my personal favorite of all my themes. The strings create a nicely moody atmosphere, in my opinion.

6. Cutscene (Approaching Desert) -- I took the piano part from a portion of the desert theme.

7. Just Deserts -- the desert theme music. I was very much inspired by desert-ish songs from other productions--such as Arabian Nights from Aladdin. This was my first time using an oboe in a composition, and I don't think I've used it better yet. The main theme reference worked very well, I was hesitant to use it because I thought it would sound out of place.

8. Cutscene (Approaching Underwater) -- I took the harp part from the underwater theme.

9. Underwater -- the underwater theme music. The harp was very important to me, and was the main focus of the piece. I think it sounds like bubbles. This theme is very mysterious, but it doesn't have much melody. I think it fits the underwater level really well. The game director made a really cool underwater effect.

10. Cutscene (Approaching Forest) -- I took the opening piano part from the forest theme.

11. Into the Forest -- the forest theme music. I was stuck for weeks writing a theme for a forest. I have literally six or seven completely different piano demos for possible forest themes. In the end, this was the one I decided on, mostly because the harp sounded cool. It's simple but at this point I'm happy I ever finished a forest theme that I'm fine with it.

12. Cutscene (Approaching Snow) -- I took the piano part from the snow theme.

13. A Winter's Snow -- the snow level theme music. The piano was most important to me for this piece. When I was in my first or second year of piano, my teacher had me learn a version of "Jingle Bells" where my left hand reached across and played the very top C and B on the piano as eighth notes while my right hand played the melody. I decided to use this, it mimics the sound of bells and is a generally fun thing to do in my opinion. As for the rest of the piece: you'll notice that I referenced a certain Mario theme in the first measure that the violin plays. I thought this particular theme I referenced would fit really well in the piece and the game. So here it is! ^_^ Hope you don't think I'm a cheater for using that measure! Interestingly enough, this is also the only song I wrote for the game that is in a major key, unless "Adventure Theme" is counted (but I don't count it since it was ultimately not able to be used).

And I hope you guys like it! Or hate it! I want feedback either way! :)

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

The video game that someone I know is making for TSA. I'm on the design team as music and sound production. We're going to showcase the game at the state conference if it beats out the other video game design team (which it TOTALLY will)

SuperFireKirby

I listened through most of the songs, its reallly good!(tho a little scary)

I think you just went up ten points on the beastliness scale, Slow.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Oh and btw I'm gonna make piano solos of all if not most of them.

Main Theme From Trapped
MUS
MIDI
PDF