General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 02, 2017, 09:31:19 PMWhy does immediate memorability matter so much lol I'd rather have music that sounds fresh every time you hear it

What does this even mean? Leaving someone with a lasting impression is kind of important when having a discussion about favorite things. Why would something being forgettable be a positive thing?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Let's rank bike themes:

1) Gen 5

(insert big gap here)

2) Gen 6
3) Gen 4
4) Gen 3
5) Gen 2
6) Gen 1
7) Gen 7 (if you count that... "thing"... as a bike, the music still sucks tho)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 02, 2017, 10:23:39 PM(if you count that... "thing"... as a bike
IT HAS A NAME, DAMMIT
[sobs uncontrollably]
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Shiiiit bike themes... let's see:

1) gen 6
2) gen 4 (daht B section)
3) gen 1
4) gen 2
5) gen 5
6) gen 3

These are all super narrow though I love them all.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Echo

When it comes to bike themes:
- Gen 5 (god-tier music, but I'm biased because I'd say that almost anything Gen 5 related is the best)
- Gen 4 (I've never played the Sinnoh games, but this is probably the, I dunno, most sophisticated and appreciable bike music to me)
- Gen 6 (catchy as shit)
- Gen 1 (always makes me smile)
- Gen 2 (it's cool that it's a remix of Goldenrod, but that's about it)
- Gen 3 (I just don't like it, doesn't seem fitting for either bike. wish they made different bike themes for each bike)

SlowPokemon

Ahhh I think gen III is my favorite bike theme along with IV

Also I don't believe I ever said "forgettable," I meant an entirely different connotation
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nebbles

Oooh, hm...

-Gen 3
-Gen 4
-Gen 5
-Gen 1
-Gen 2
-Gen 6 (lol i don't even recall it)
-Gen 7 (not a bike)
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

AmpharosAndy

It at least seems we've agreed on

1-5. The others

6. Gen 1
7. Gen 6

Dreamyard from BW is my top track in any game. Gen 5 is ma fav
innit

Altissimo

this thread got too big but my belief as to why gen 5 is the best is because i think it represented the perfect balance of decent gameplay options relative to how late in the series was.

lemme explain: it's been suggested, and if you pay attention you'll prolly see how this is true, that game freak intentionally removes positive qualities from games when they further a gen in order to be able to re-introduce those qualities to much acclaim. for instance, hgss had an amazing assortment of touch screen options. gen 5 removed those. gen 6 reintroduced a lot of touch screen functionality. gen 7 removed it.

or: hgss and gen 5 had amazing postgames. xy didnt have much. oras had a decent amount. gen 7 had very little.

... stuff like that. not to mention, the games in general tend to have gimmicks that they hock which inevitably are shafted for the next game. gen 4 had gender differences and the underground. gen 5 had hidden abilities. gen 6 had mega evos.

it is my belief that gen 5 has overall the best assortment of positive functionality (e.g. the things removed from hgss to go into gen 5 were less painful compared with other gen switches) and therefore is the superior gen.

of course that doesnt mean i dont have problems with it, mostly the way it wont shut the fuck up about internet functionality when i cant use that anymore, which is why its not my FAVORITE game/gen. (My favorite game is HGSS prolly.) But it is superior in most gameplay elements to HGSS imo

Olimar12345

Some of those seem more coincidental than intentional, as well as circumstantial. Also, just in general these things seem more like the icing and sprinkles on the cake rather than the cake itself if you know what I mean.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 03, 2017, 10:01:09 AMSome of those seem more coincidental than intentional, as well as circumstantial. Also, just in general these things seem more like the icing and sprinkles on the cake rather than the cake itself if you know what I mean.
I think I've read that Gen 7 has skipped Triple Battles (so far) due to game lag issues (that didn't get entirely fixed, FWIW).

Gen 5's Hidden Abilities haven't been shafted, IMO. All generations since needed to put them on Pokemon, and they didn't keep pulling the-hidden-ability-matches-a-default-one in the newer generations, so props to them. (Though where is my Telepathy Tapu Fini and my Long Reach Decidueye...distributing 'mons with Hidden Abilities is another matter...)

Gen 6's Megas definitely got shafted, though. I thought I read somewhere that, as much as the fans love Mega Evolution, Game Freak thought it unbalanced combat and made the Mega 'mons too powerful. Thus the switch to (over?-)emphasizing Z-Moves in Gen 7. In fact, Gen 7 is shafting Megas so hard that it's put insults in Mega Evolutions' Pokedex entries (calling some of them "bloodthirsty" and "heartless"), seemingly bringing up an Alolan prejudice against the morality of Mega Evolution.

I have a feeling that Z-Moves will be shafted a la Megas in Gen 8. I'm reading debates in Other Metas that some of them are trying to get Z-Moves banned within them, citing their ability to break games. Game Freak actually seems to test their Pokemon Balanced Hackmons-style (thus Komala the Comatose with Sleep Talk getting no phazing moves and Pyukumuku the Innards Out having low base HP, and Balanced Hackmons and Almost Any Ability banning Innards Out and Comatose-Sleep Talk after finding those aspects really problematic on better Pokemon with better movepools), so I suspect they're listening to those complaints.

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 03, 2017, 10:01:09 AMSome of those seem more coincidental than intentional, as well as circumstantial. Also, just in general these things seem more like the icing and sprinkles on the cake rather than the cake itself if you know what I mean.

Still I believe the cake itself is good, I was just explaining why I feel gen 5 has the best balance of things

Olimar12345

But my point was that small technical things =/= greatest game evar. Hence the icing analogy. My question was why you think that this cake is better than the other cakes.

Altissimo

>pretty much every pokemon it offers is usable to some degree, more so than other gens. This applies to both bw and bw2
>extremely sizable and relevant postgame that offers a lot to do
>personal opinion but I liked the fact that they did what they did with only unova pokemon in bw, it really forced you to pay attention to what new mons were instead of reusing old favorites
>triple and rotation battles were good
>lots of side areas to explore that were unnecessary for beating the game but had nice rewards if you found and explored them. This is a trait that I felt dpp lacked and gen 6 had a fair bit less of
>i quite enjoyed the soundtrack
>you didn't need a single HM to beat the game except for Cut one time to get into the Dreamyard which is easy enough to put on some rando early game pokemon
>challenging E4 + final boss
>the experience mechanic was an excellent innovation that forced challenge on the game
>i genuinely enjoyed and admired the graphics tbh lol

Nebbles

Quote from: Altissimo on August 03, 2017, 12:56:34 PM>pretty much every pokemon it offers is usable to some degree, more so than other gens. This applies to both bw and bw2
>extremely sizable and relevant postgame that offers a lot to do
>personal opinion but I liked the fact that they did what they did with only unova pokemon in bw, it really forced you to pay attention to what new mons were instead of reusing old favorites
>triple and rotation battles were good
>lots of side areas to explore that were unnecessary for beating the game but had nice rewards if you found and explored them. This is a trait that I felt dpp lacked and gen 6 had a fair bit less of
>i quite enjoyed the soundtrack
>you didn't need a single HM to beat the game except for Cut one time to get into the Dreamyard which is easy enough to put on some rando early game pokemon
>challenging E4 + final boss
>the experience mechanic was an excellent innovation that forced challenge on the game
>i genuinely enjoyed and admired the graphics tbh lol

bless you
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel