News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Nebbles

msf and i are gonna cry alone in our "gen 5 was great" corner
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Dudeman

Gen 5
Strengths: Best story, best character development, decently challenging, lots of side content
Weaknesses: Painful graphics, middling soundtrack (the godly tracks are diamonds in the rough), Dragon-type master race, Unova-only monsters including vanilluxe and klinklang
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

it is my belief that gen 5 is the best gen. it is not my favorite but it is the best imo

Olimar12345

So why do you think it's the best?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 02, 2017, 07:30:51 PMGen 5
Strengths: Best story, best character development, decently challenging, lots of side content
Weaknesses: Painful graphics, middling soundtrack (the godly tracks are diamonds in the rough), Dragon-type master race, Unova-only monsters including vanilluxe and klinklang

Haven't you said that you've never even played the game tho
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Yes, and the post is a result of hear-say. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me; I believe Gen 5 is fantastic on the whole but a lot of that comes from a well-built world and story.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

I don't think I can properly rate any other generation's music because I haven't listened to enough of it, but I thought Pokemon Diamond had thoroughly average music. I probably played it with the sound on about half the time, and the only songs that stuck to my head were the Team Galactic Grunt theme (not Admin--on later listens of the latter, the polytonality of A flat minor and F minor is turning me off--IMO, only Giratina and Ultra Beasts can get away with polytonality in Pokemon music, and I don't think the Ultra Beasts theme is polytonal) and the Trainer battle theme. 2 songs out of the entire soundtrack is right in the ballpark of the average number of songs I remember per soundtrack. (Among other games I've played pretty thoroughly with the sound on, I remember 2 songs out of the Mushroom Wars OST and 1 song out of the Bust-a-Move DS OST, and let's just say that those games have much smaller OSTs.)

On later listens, I remember the Pokemon Center song and its healing jingle, and the Wild battle theme is starting to come back to me. Unfortunately, 4 songs is around Paper Mario playthrough-only range (the regular battle theme, the Toad Town theme, the first chapter overworld theme ("Marching Along"), the Crystal Palace Crawl, and General Guy's theme are what I definitely remember from playthroughs--if you want songs that are sticking in later listens, there's the mini-boss theme, the Crystal King theme, Tubba Blubba's theme, and the Master's battle theme).

I rate soundtracks above average when I start hitting the 7-song range, including later listens (e.g. Kirby Super Star--Gourmet Race, Halberd On Deck theme, Halberd Interior theme, Meta Knight's theme, Revenge of Meta Knight ending theme, Megaton Punch theme, Arena theme, Milky Way Wishes credits theme--I guess King Dedede theme extensions count?).

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Latios212 on August 02, 2017, 06:59:56 PMIt's really difficult to rank entire soundtracks
But:
TOP TIER:
1. Diamond/Pearl
2. Black/White (and BW2)
3. Gold/Silver (not HGSS)

GOOD TIER:
4. Ruby/Sapphire (and ORAS)
5. Red/Blue

MEH TIER:
6. Sun/Moon
7. X/Y
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 02, 2017, 07:48:52 PMMEH TIER:
6. Sun/Moon
okay no as long as team skull hau'oli city the aether foundation and kahunas exist SuMo factually cannot be in the meh tier

other tracks that are good: malie city, nanu's theme, po town, lillie's theme, gladion's battle theme, the elite four battle theme

mastersuperfan

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 02, 2017, 08:54:17 AMIf your question is "are you hoping to cause a big discussion and argument" the answer is yes

God, he knew exactly what he was doing with this

DocDoom2

Quote from: Nebbles on August 02, 2017, 07:18:56 PMmsf and i are gonna cry alone in our "gen 5 was great" corner

I'll join you in that corner if you have room
Please note I use Musescore and transfer it into Finale Notepad, so formatting may be messed up and help would be appreciated.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dudeman on August 02, 2017, 07:50:55 PMokay no as long as team skull hau'oli city the aether foundation and kahunas exist SuMo factually cannot be in the meh tier

other tracks that are good: malie city, nanu's theme, po town, lillie's theme, gladion's battle theme, the elite four battle theme
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 12, 2017, 02:40:54 PMHaving beaten the main story, I can say that I felt rather lukewarm toward most of the game's music; perhaps a little more positive than X/Y, but still not the same way as most of the older games in the series. One of the few town themes that really stood out to me, though, was Seafolk Village. Likewise, I wasn't really a fan of most of the battle themes (it says something when I like the kazoo version of Guzma's battle theme more than the original—it's a fine composition by itself, but the instruments used, IMO, don't do it much justice, as they don't bring out the parts that have the most "OOMPH" for what should be an intense battle? Or something like that), with the exception of the Elite Four battle theme and the Ultra Beast battle theme (Kahuna, Totem, and Tapu battles are second favorites, I'd say). I completely agree about the Solgaleo/Lunala battle theme though: it starts out with SO MUCH POTENTIAL, but past the 30 second mark, it just kinda fizzles and goes nowhere.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nebbles

;o; we have another gen 5 fan here folks
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Dudeman on August 02, 2017, 07:50:55 PMokay no as long as team skull hau'oli city the aether foundation and kahunas exist SuMo factually cannot be in the meh tier

From the point of view of someone who's only ever played Pokemon Diamond (and Pokemon Showdown), I find the Team Skull theme grating, the Kahuna theme too positive, and the Aether Foundation themes unmemorable.

I mainly find Gladion's battle theme hilarious because it sounds like a jazz ballad if you remove the accompaniment. I have to admit that I'm singing that jazz ballad melody more often, though, and with more rubato than the original.

I can't really comment on the others--in fact, I'm still trying to find that bluegrass hoedown BGM song I liked in those SuMo leak YouTube videos.

The SuMo Elite Four theme is among the best of the Elite Four themes, I'll grant you that. I like it more than BW's, and it's definitely better than DPPt's (which I still don't remember, despite beating them and Cynthia several times).