General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

FSM-Reapr

because i never get any

spitllama

Well I'm not RNGing (not sure if that even works on gift pokes) and you can't use synchronize for event pokes... so it's a pretty big coincidence.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Roz~

You can RNG them, and you don't need Synchronize to get the nature you want.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

spitllama

Ok... Well I was just soft-resetting. So that's why it was exciting.

Do you pick the nature using rng as well?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Roz~

Haha yeah, it is a really good soft reset. I'm not saying you have a bad 'mon, it's just weird to me when people get all excited for a 31 IV stat. =P

And yeah, you can. Back in Gen IV I wanted a Timid Jirachi, so I RNG'd a Timid flawless one. You can pretty much get everything you want, and the fun part is that they're legit. I mean the only reason I do it is because I play in official tournaments, and you need those good IVs. Otherwise I wouldn't bother RNG'ing my 'mons.

FSM-Reapr

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Roz~

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on March 18, 2013, 01:17:22 PMlol wth is RNGing?

I'll answer your question with a simpler answer: RNG'ing is a legal way of obtaining flawless and shiny Pokemon ingame.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Roz~ on March 18, 2013, 01:51:56 PMI'll answer your question with a simpler answer: RNG'ing is a legal way of obtaining flawless and shiny Pokemon ingame.
Quote from: BulbapediaIn the Pokémon fandom, RNG abuse is slightly controversial. Proponents note that RNG abuse does not require a third-party device and that the Pokémon obtained through RNG abuse can be obtained through normal gameplay. In addition, Pokémon obtained through RNG abuse have been used at the Video Game Championships, an official tournament. However, some players believe that RNG abuse is cheating, as the action of picking a Pokémon's characteristics is similar to using a cheating device.

I say: "If you can do it, fine. You're just using your (legit) resources." :P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

I sorta get it but not really... I mean, how does this help you manipulate anything?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Roz~

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on March 18, 2013, 03:23:43 PMI say: "If you can do it, fine. You're just using your (legit) resources." :P

Haha yeah basically. The problem with competitive battling is that you're /forced/ to do it, otherwise you'll definitely lose against other players who do RNG.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 18, 2013, 07:53:23 PMI sorta get it but not really... I mean, how does this help you manipulate anything?

Hmm... it's kinda hard to explain, but I'll do my best.
Let's say you want to breed a Lucario. You want it to be Adamant with very good IVs, if possible you want all of its IVs to be 31. What do you do? You could soft reset, but it'd take forever. That's why you RNG.
To be able to RNG, you need to download the RNG Reporter, which you can find on Smogon.
The two concepts you need to understand when you RNG are these: Seeds and Frames.

To put it simply, every time you load your game, you load a certain seed. If you load your game at 12:04:10 am on July 4th 2013, you'll load a certain seed (Let's call it Seed 1). If you load your game at 12:04:11 am on July 4th 2013, you'll load a different seed (Let's call it Seed 2). RNG manipulation requires you to change your DS's date and time, because you have to hit your seed in order to get your desired Pokémon spread (like Adamant flawless Lucario). What about the frames then? The frames range from 1 to... whatever number you want to think about. Every frame set is different, and no seed has the same frame set.
So, basically: Seed 1 Frame 1 can be Jolly 2/14/31/28/4/29, while Seed 2 Frame 1 will be Sassy 5/19/27/19/31/30
What the RNG does is that it tells you what Seed you need to hit in order to get your desired spread, and on which frame it's located. If your desired spread is on Seed 4 Frame 13, then you need to make sure you load your game on Seed 4, and you need to hit your Frame. You need to make Frame advancements but that's another story.

So that's basically how it works. RNG'ing lets you hit your desired Seed and Frame so you can get flawless Pokémon with a good nature. You can also RNG the shininess of the Pokémon too. For example, when I breed a Scizor, I always decide not to get it shiny because green Scizor sucks. =P I know it sounds complicated, but RNG'ing isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it. There are a bunch of guides on Smogon if you guys ever want to learn how to RNG too.

Kman96

No offense to anyone, but I could really give a shit about these natures and IV's and shit.

Good lord, whatever happened to "LVL 100 CHARIZARD OMG BEAAAST!!!" that's how I play Pokemon. Level with experience and all that stuff. Is it really that much of a difference just to have one stupid number define how "good" or "strong" your Pokemon is??

I don't think so. Let's prevent pokeprejudice by standing against these dividing forces.
Party Hard!
[close]

Nebbles

Well if you're a casual player, natures don't mean anything to you... but to people who like competitive battling, yeah, it means a lot. It's not pokeprejudice. It's a preference in game play.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Roz~

^this.
I play the game casually. I couldn't care less about natures/IVs/EVs when I train my team so they can take on the Elite 4. I do care about all that stuff when I could potentially win money in a sanctioned Pokémon tournament. Both play styles are really different, but they're both really fun.

November

Quote from: Kman96 on March 18, 2013, 09:08:39 PMNo offense to anyone, but I could really give a shit about these natures and IV's and shit.

Good lord, whatever happened to "LVL 100 CHARIZARD OMG BEAAAST!!!" that's how I play Pokemon. Level with experience and all that stuff. Is it really that much of a difference just to have one stupid number define how "good" or "strong" your Pokemon is??

I don't think so. Let's prevent pokeprejudice by standing against these dividing forces.

You can basically win in-game with any pokemon - they make it so that EVs and IVs don't matter at all. You can use your level 100 Charizard in casual play in general.

Competitive play is a different matter. They do make a big difference, and when you're going up against strategies and other EV and IV pokemon (that involve the strategies), you're gonna die if you don't level out the playing field ;p