News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

@slow just seems weird that it's your number 1.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Dudeman on August 02, 2017, 10:29:49 AMI'm actually really not a big fan of the Team Flare theme, it just comes off as a not-very-melodic mash of synths. I am a big fan of the Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde battle theme and the Elite 4 battle theme (and actually the Pokémon League theme as well). Oo, and the power plant/Pokéball plant music, that's really chill. But yeah other than that, X/Y's soundtrack is fairly meh.

Gen 3 is way better than the list suggests, though, and certainly better than Red/Blue on track complexity alone. Gen 1 may be iconic but Gen 3 is epicly iconic.

Didn't reply to this, but Team Flare battle is imo the best track from XY. The melody is really surprising and kind of crazy for Pokémon music, and I absolutely hated it when I first heard it, but it's really grown on me over time. The harmonies (or lack thereof) just kind of consume you, it's awesome. Worth noting that I don't like the Xerneas/Yvletal track or the elite four track, so our tastes might not line up. I love the champion theme from XY, how about that one?

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 02, 2017, 12:11:04 PM@slow just seems weird that it's your number 1.

Might be because it's new, but idk it's been nine months and it's still really captured me in a way that I really love. It's a bit on the quirky side, so maybe I just like that it's different.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 02, 2017, 12:12:06 PMI love the champion theme from XY, how about that one?
It's pretty good, though I think the bells/chimes towards the beginning of the track and sporadically throughout mess with the tone. Doesn't mix very well with the bass-heavy electronics of the rest of the track imo.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

HAHAHA the bells are the reason I love the track, I think they're perfect for diantha

Trainer Ave

if i had to pick my favorite soundtrack it would have to be Sinnoh. But several tracks from other regions manage to get my attention more often. For instance, I hate Black and White (I don't hate the sequel as much) but the rival battle theme is just amazing.
When it comes to Johto i absolutely love Goldenrod City's theme (both GSC and HGSS) as well as New Bark Town (GSC only) and Lance/Red's battle theme (both versions again).
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Trasdegi

Quote from: BoywithoutaFairy on August 02, 2017, 01:05:31 PMif i had to pick my favorite soundtrack it would have to be Sinnoh

Totally agree. I think this ost has great instruments (gen 4 pianos > gen 3 trumpets) and the routes musics are the best of the serie. Some cities have great music (sunnyshore city, canalave city...) and the buildings too (Pokémon lab, veilstone game corner,  galaxy eterna building...)

Latios212

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 02, 2017, 12:09:23 PMIt's actually not the Hawaiian stuff I love, I really just like Minako Adachi's and Hitomi Sato's compositions and there are so many of them. The Team Skull and Aether Foundation tracks, especially Lusamine's battles, are probably my favorite. Read my soundtrack review if you want more reasons I love SM
It does have some really great tracks, but I feel like as a whole soundtrack it's not as strong as the others. For all the great tracks there are, there's a fair amount I don't really care for. I especially think SM dropped the ball on route themes, for example.

Compared to gens 1-4 in which I consider nearly every track to be a masterpiece.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

This probably isn't 100% accurate, since I'm doing this off the top of my head, but I'd probably rank the Pokemon soundtracks thusly:

1. Gen IV
2. Gen VII
3. Gen III
4. Gen V
5. Gen II
6. Gen I
7. Gen VI

Altissimo

from best to least
7 (mostly because i dont remember ANY OF IT)

DocDoom2

Dang, I never really considered what my favorite soundtracks are...
I guess I'd have to go with this order:

1. 5
2. 7
3. 4
4. 2
5. 3
6. 1
7. 6

Granted I don't particularly dislike any of them (except most of gen 6, 'cause reasons...)
Please note I use Musescore and transfer it into Finale Notepad, so formatting may be messed up and help would be appreciated.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: DocDoom2 on August 02, 2017, 05:15:57 PM1. 5
2. 7
3. 4
4. 2
5. 3
6. 1
7. 6

You are a good man. I respect you.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: DocDoom2 on August 02, 2017, 05:15:57 PMDang, I never really considered what my favorite soundtracks are...
I guess I'd have to go with this order:

1. 5
2. 7
3. 4
4. 2
5. 3
6. 1
7. 6

Granted I don't particularly dislike any of them (except most of gen 6, 'cause reasons...)

See pretty much this is a good list. 2, 4, 5, and 7 are god-tier, 1 and 3 are middle tier, and 6 is meh tier.

Latios212

this is a little rushed because I'm busy :x

It's really difficult to rank entire soundtracks; I don't particularly like doing so because of you can't just quantify the vast expanse of music that encompasses a whole soundtrack. But thoughts, anyway, since I do have them split into tiers similar to how Slow does:

The god tier: Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl. Just about every single piece of music from these two soundtracks is truly amazing. Both games have a huge number of especially fantastic tracks and amazing melodies. Gold and Silver have such classic tracks all around the board that are a blast to listen to, and the constraints of 3 pitch channels doesn't hinder the beauty at all. Diamond and Pearl have so many intricate pieces, often with a jazz feel, which are truly an experience to listen to. Love the instrumentation all around, and there are just too many tracks to name that really just blow me away.

The really, really, good tier: Red/Blue and Ruby/Sapphire. These soundtracks are all around fantastic. I don't have too much to say, other than that the music is of the top quality, but there aren't quite as many downright amazing classic pieces as there are from gens 2 or 4. (In my view, of course :P)

The okay tier: Black/White, Sun/Moon, and X/Y. I was overall pretty disappointed that soundtrack quality took a hit after gen 4 ended. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of pieces I love from all these games. But it just feels like there's a lot more "filler", tracks that just exist that don't really strike me as memorable. That's the case with these three gens. The best tracks are on a competing level with the other gens` music for sure, but these soundtracks are just diluted with a non-negligible of other (relatively) underwhelming tracks.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!