News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

NSM Resources

Started by Ruto, July 14, 2010, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Copyright is important because you have to give credit to the people who own the rights to the song.

I use the Copyright section for the site's link but that's because I have the full version and in the full version, the copyright space is multi-line.

Perhaps you could highlight the directions in italics eg Text -> Inserts -> Description (or bold or whatever you want really). And Capitalisation helps to make it stand out a bit more.
Perhaps some more spacing between steps, numbered steps or similar stuff could improve it a bit more.

Great job!  :D

Ruto

Yep!! Exactly the type of thing that should go on here XD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Ruto

Adding a Metronome Mark.

Let's say you forgot to include it when you created a file. Or you haven't decided then, and now you want one!

• Click on the Expressions tool.
  • Select Create
  • Click Text on the menu bar, then font, and from the list of fonts, select Maestro, size 24
  • Click OK
  • Now you notice the font listed in the Text Expression Designer window is in Maestro, 24 pt (or preferred size). type a lowercase q in the text box and a quarter note should appear. To enter the equal sign, =, hold down ALT and type in 0200 on your keypad. When the equal sign appears, type in the rest of the metronome marking you want.
    DT brought this up and it's probably a good idea if you don't have a keypad...Use the EngraverTextT font and you can enter the equal sign and numbers normally. I can't type in the note symbols with Engraver in Allegro for the life of me though. Alternatively, you can change the font to anything after the note's been entered, and everything you type on the right of the note will be normal. Don't hit left or you'll have to change it from Maestro again.

Ta-dahh

While you're here, why not assign a tempo? It can be done on the next tab. A description, such as Allegro, can be added in the second, smaller text box on the window.

Other notes:

Typing certain letters in the Maestro font will give you different note symbols.
w=whole note
h=half note
q=quarter note
qk=dotted quarter note
e=eighth note
x=sixteenth note

The Deku Trombonist

If you have the "EngraverTextT" font (or any of the EngraverText fonts should work I think), you're better off using it instead of Maestro because you don't need the Alt-code for the "=" sign and the numbers don't look subscript.

Shadoninja

I can't use alt codes on my laptop because of the lack of numpad and numpad usb thing.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Ruto

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 29, 2010, 09:25:53 PMIf you have the "EngraverTextT" font (or any of the EngraverText fonts should work I think), you're better off using it instead of Maestro because you don't need the Alt-code for the "=" sign and the numbers don't look subscript.

Do you know if that font has any note keys for consistency's sake? I started looking at the Engraver fonts, and so far I saw everything but the note symbols. But changing the font (any font) after you use Maestro to enter in the note should be fine too...as long as the font looks all right together.

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 29, 2010, 09:26:50 PMI can't use alt codes on my laptop because of the lack of numpad and numpad usb thing.

Crap! Yeah, my laptop has the keypad so I forgot >.<. It seems the only way around that would be to change fonts part way or get a keypad.

The Deku Trombonist

I just looked it up, and the Engraver fonts don't come with Allegro. But, you can change fonts mid-way. For Example: select Maestro font, input the note you want, go back to font menu, pick a different font eg Times New Roman, and continue typing as normal. Changing font only changes the writing to the right of the cursor, it doesn't change everything if that makes sense.

Oh crap, you just wrote what I just typed up :P Perhaps you could include this in the guide?

Yeah, EngraverText has notes in it. I just checked. w=whole, h=half, q=quarter, e=eighth, x=sixteenth

Edit: woops, make that e=eighth

Ruto

The Engraver fonts are in Allegro, but they all seem to be the same, except for the last Engraver "extras" font. They have H, T, etc, though. The numbers look a bit subscript-y still...maybe the solution would be to shrink the font when entering the numbers.

Also I updated the FAQ post.

Shadoninja

In allegro, it's also possible to take the pre-existing Adagio Crotchet = 40 expression and modify that to fit your needs. it's even easier in finale 2011 because there's a drop down box with the text font, music font, and number font. plus there's another box where you can insert a note.

Ruto

Quote from: Shadoninja on January 26, 2011, 04:17:22 AMIn allegro, it's also possible to take the pre-existing Adagio Crotchet = 40 expression and modify that to fit your needs. it's even easier in finale 2011 because there's a drop down box with the text font, music font, and number font. plus there's another box where you can insert a note.

=win

So much for using the manual Finale includes xD

Winter

Alright, so my sheet layout is odd, I have the title, game, composed by, arranged by.

That's all organized, but the actual first staff is like 6 inches too low, anybody know how to move that in Finale 2011?

Shadoninja

most likely you would use the page layout tool.

Winter

Ah. Thanks. Still learning the little things.

Winter

Looks good. maybe create a "[url] thing with a link to PDFCreator. so people can click it if they read this.

Shadoninja

good idea. I tried to write the instructions to be as general as possible with nothing too specifically for pdfcreator. that way if people are having problems with pdfcreator and have to use something else, they can still get a good idea of what to do with a different program.