News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

NSM Resources

Started by Ruto, July 14, 2010, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

Quote from: Dude on July 16, 2010, 10:56:44 PMThere's a lyrics tool, should we explore on that?
Labels. As in label notes that might get a little high. For example... scroll down, and click on the -

Dude

Ah. I see.

Well apparently he uses this to make his sheets.

universe-X

Well, I kinda see now what you were getting at with the lyrics. But can it change from white text to black text on one page? (I don't experiment too much with Finale).

Composer #40

It's possible to do those fingering things with the lyric tool. When using the lyric tool, type a number to a note. Then click and hold one of the far right arrow in a box that should appear on the left side of the sheet or staff. Raise the arrow to the desired position and you're done. As far as I know, this works in Printmusic 2009 and Finale 2008, someone else needs to try this on other versions.

Hoped this helped.

It happens Every. Day!

universe-X

I don't think arrows are necessary. Just type the number(s) over the notes/chords and you're done.

Composer #40

But then the numbers stay with the notes when they move sideways on the page. Especially when the text tool won't assign it to the note and not the page. Believe me when I say this because I had to do something similar for my music theory project.

It happens Every. Day!

Ruto

If all else fails, use a different software or just pictures :D

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Concerto No.20 in D minor

Master_Z

I'd definitely watch these videos if they were made. Go for it.

Ruto

So you'd like to begin submitting music to the site.  MUS files can be created by the MakeMusic software line, but you don't want to buy the product or waste a free trial. But it's possible to create MUS files using a free program. So what? So

Finale NotePad 2008
*sparkles*

The page will prompt you to log in before allowing you to go to the download page. That might add a few minutes to your time.

Source: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=1409.0 DO NOT CLICK

So what's the catch?

Finale Notepad is obviously way more limited than any of the software you can purchase. Why? I think what it lacks can be so annoying that it can convince you to buy their product (marketing). Here is a basic list of what Notepad can and can't do:

CAN

General

• Create MUS files
  • Open MIDI files and display notes

Specific

• Add measures
  • Has keyboard, chorus, strings,woodwind, brass, plucked strings and percussion instruments available
  • Has preset time and key signatures
  • Simple note entry: whole, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-second and their rests available; notes can be dotted, can insert naturals/flats/sharps, create ties and tuplets
  • Add slurs, glissandos, crescendos, decrescendos and lines
  • Type texts and lyrics
  • Add articulations: only 25 are available. You will find fff, ff, f, mf, mp, p, pp, ppp here as well, in Allegro, they are under the "expressions" button.

CAN'T

General

• Open files created by Allegro/purchased product. It's not Reader after all.

Specific

• Delete specific measures, though you can select and delete the entire sheet's measures---wtfbbq, if this is a joke, it's not funny
  • Create different time signatures other than preset 2/2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, C, 3/8, 6/8, 9/8, 12/8.
  • Use 8va/8vb/15va/15vb---this really limits what you can write, huh?
  • Enter grace notes
  • Change your key signature in the middle of the piece. You are only allowed one key signature per file/piece.
  • Assign a tempo to expressions/text

In short, if you're hard at work on a new piece, don't be surprised if you go "ZOMG, they don't have it"

If reading this made you prefer the pen(cil) and paper first, here are some blank sheets for your convenience.
Blank piano
With clefs

-Cheers,
Ruto

If you catch any mistakes, tell me. Or if you have something to add.

[link] Finale Allegro
[link]Finale Reader

Dude

Quote from: Ruto on August 06, 2010, 09:32:53 PMDelete measures---wtfbbq, if this is a joke, it's not funny
Actually, you can. Just use the mass mover tool and push the delete key.

EDIT: Oh shit, bump, sorry.

Ruto

There's no mass mover tool, only a selection XD

It lets you delete all your measures but not one specifically? That seems odd -__-

Edit: Edit time.

Dude

Shadoninja

and if delete doesn't work, it would be backspace.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Ruto

Yup, tried both delete and backspace. It lets you select parts of a measure and delete the notes in it, but not the actual measure.

Let's say I won't count on NotePad to write something for piano. Right now I am just using it for midis if I don't want to change tabs in Allegro  :D