News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

NSM Resources

Started by Ruto, July 14, 2010, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

But this idea occurred to me and I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Articles about the software make up a ton of questions, so those are definitely needed right now. General instruction FAQs can be posted here too, but that would seem more appropriate in the 'Music' board, unless it's condensed to a single post and linked.

How to open sheets from NSM by Ruto
Finale Notepad 2008 by Ruto
Adding Metronome Markings by Ruto
Number Lock Shortcuts by Brassman 388
Is [Something] in Finale [Version] by Ruto
What Should Your Sheet Look Like? by G-Han
Submission Guide by The Deku Trombonist
Guide to Making Replacement Arrangements by Olimar12345
Articulation Information by Olimar12345
All Tempo Markings and Expressions for Notepad Users by Th3Gavst3r
General Arranging Tips and Tricks by Tobbeh99
Help with choosing the correct accidentals when transcribing music by Olimar12345
The Arranging Checklist by Sebastian
Nearly All Special Formatting - Copy-Pastable Notation for NotePad Users by Lkjhgfdsa_77
More help with choosing the correct accidentals when transcribing music by Altissimo

Ideas:
How to read sheets
How to transcribe songs
How to use Finale Allegro/Reader/2011 etc
Differences between each version
List of terms in sheet music, or available in each software

etc.

These disappeared D:
File Info Tutorial by Shadoninja gone :C
Keyboard Shortcuts for Finale Programs by Shadoninja gone :C
Creating a PDF by Shadoninja gone :C
Pizzicatos in Finale Notepad by Shadoninja gone :C
Aligning Layers by Shadoninja gone :C
Retranscribing by Shadoninja gone :C
Filter by Shadoninja gone :C
[close]

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

SlowPokemon

Not a bad idea. While I'm fourteen and am pretty good at the piano, I don't have any desire for tutorials...
But on YouTube all the comments ever say is "tutorial, please!"

So, this may help... no one can guarantee it though.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nintendude73

It would definitely help with a lot of the questions we get here...  Especially "How do I download the sheets?!"

Ruto

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 15, 2010, 06:52:25 PMNot a bad idea. While I'm fourteen and am pretty good at the piano, I don't have any desire for tutorials...
But on YouTube all the comments ever say is "tutorial, please!"

So, this may help... no one can guarantee it though.

Haha, I gotcha. But when I mean tutorials, it isn't just something like "step by step: how to play Linebeck's theme", though you can completely do it if you want to. I mean, more general music ones, like this or "How do I practice piano" (lol). Or even simpler is Nintendude's idea: How to download the sheets, aka the "Idiot-proof guide series".

When writing a instruction guide like the first, citations would be needed or possibly just you saying "X years of piano lessons". Posting notes from a music theory class could be done too.

I'm going to come up with a sample guide, "How to do I open these sheets" in the next time I post...with pictures! :D

Ruto

How to Open Sheets from NSM

NSM's sheets are written exclusively with the MakeMusic series of music software.  These sheets can only be read using the program software, or with a free program called Finale Reader

Downloading Finale Reader

Go to Finale Reader's main site HERE

You should see this:

1) On the right side, select your OS, Mac or Windows. You should see a page prompting you to register. Follow their instructions to get an account on their site.

2) You should finally be able to see the download window. For Windows, click to start the download. The filename for the Windows version is called FinReaderWin, should you forget where it downloaded to. The filename for Mac is [...]

3) When it's complete, Windows users should find the .exe file and install the program. When you open the file, Windows will ask if you want to open the file. Open it, then click "Next" to begin.

4) Agree to their terms; the next window asks you to pick the install location. The default is fine. Then you have to pick the Start Menu location, again the default setting should be okay. Finale will then install in your system. [Mac instructions are ...]

5) Congratulations! You can now read sheets from NSM or open any .mus file.

Related links:
[link]Using Finale Reader
[link]Finale Allegro
[link]Finale Notepad

(Hmm..need more pictures)

WiiMan96

This is a really good idea! I'd be willing to help if you want.

With the above guide, of course I know it's a sample, but I think this a point that should be brought up if these tutorials take off. You state in the first step that you need to choose an operating system, but in step 3 you say you must click to open the .exe file. Macs don't run .exe files, so in this case we'd need to write a separate step for Mac users.

Above was an example, but as a possible rule to go by before any tutorial is published it should be tested with other operating systems or versions of Finale for compatibility.

But like I said, I hope this takes off and I'd be more than willing to pitch in. ;D

universe-X

I'd definitely help with beginner stuff :D

And this brings the topic up of: should there be fingerings on the sheets? It could be LAB (Labeled) FIN (Fingered)

What do you think? This would be a great way for people that don't know whether to do it "this way or that" and I'd be more than happy to do this.

Ruto

Quote from: WiiMan96 on July 16, 2010, 04:22:17 AMThis is a really good idea! I'd be willing to help if you want.

With the above guide, of course I know it's a sample, but I think this a point that should be brought up if these tutorials take off. You state in the first step that you need to choose an operating system, but in step 3 you say you must click to open the .exe file. Macs don't run .exe files, so in this case we'd need to write a separate step for Mac users.

Above was an example, but as a possible rule to go by before any tutorial is published it should be tested with other operating systems or versions of Finale for compatibility.

But like I said, I hope this takes off and I'd be more than willing to pitch in. ;D

Thanks! You should let me know if the Windows instructions differ from Mac's. I actually don't know too much about them  :). I'll be updating the sample guide with some more detail on installing the program. If any issues come up with an existing guide, etc, it should be possible for someone to submit a description of it, and have it added on the guide. I only have Windows and Vista at home for I can only test it for those systems unfortunately.

Quote from: universe-X on July 16, 2010, 10:53:22 AMI'd definitely help with beginner stuff :D

And this brings the topic up of: should there be fingerings on the sheets? It could be LAB (Labeled) FIN (Fingered)

What do you think? This would be a great way for people that don't know whether to do it "this way or that" and I'd be more than happy to do this.

This is really interesting!  There are 1300+ sheets on the website, and while I think it will be hard to it for all of them, maybe you can do it for the "popular" or some requested sheets so you don't have as much work  ;D

universe-X

Yeah, it will definitely take some time. Especially since I don't think there's a label command in Finale. But fingering, I'm definitely up for.

And I bet you thought it was interesting only because of the made up pictures I made ;P

pumpy_heart

I'm not good with this sort of stuff, as to designing and making and what not, but I definitely believe it belongs on the site. Maybe put it in the help section? Otherwise, Tutorials kinda sounds misleading as a tab. It would give the impression SlowPokemon mentioned.
Anyways, yes. I approve. Wonder if JaMaHa or a site editor would add it in...

Nintendude73

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 16, 2010, 10:18:45 PMWonder if JaMaHa or a site editor would add it in...
Well, you can stop wondering if a "site editor" would add it in because that's pretty much JaMaHa. :P

pumpy_heart

Haha I was hoping there might be another... Oh well. Doubt he'll be around enough for an update like this.
Maybe if all the tutorials were put together, he could when he had time/returned.

Dude

Quote from: universe-X on July 16, 2010, 08:00:50 PMEspecially since I don't think there's a label command in Finale.
There's a lyrics tool, should we explore on that?

Shadoninja

Quote from: Ruto on July 15, 2010, 07:23:49 PMHaha, I gotcha. But when I mean tutorials, it isn't just something like "step by step: how to play Linebeck's theme", though you can completely do it if you want to. I mean, more general music ones, like this or "How do I practice piano" (lol). Or even simpler is Nintendude's idea: How to download the sheets, aka the "Idiot-proof guide series".

When writing a instruction guide like the first, citations would be needed or possibly just you saying "X years of piano lessons". Posting notes from a music theory class could be done too.

I'm going to come up with a sample guide, "How to do I open these sheets" in the next time I post...with pictures! :D

Quote from: universe-X on July 16, 2010, 08:00:50 PMEspecially since I don't think there's a label command in Finale.
the closest thing would be the text tool.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Ruto

Quote from: Shadoninja on July 17, 2010, 04:20:06 AM

awwwww nice. Anyway I changed the title to avoid confusion. So I'll have some more time later today to get all the screencaps needed to complete the Windows/Reader guide. If you guys have time, you can get started on anything you'd think would be useful and create a sample post too =D