News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

NSM Resources

Started by Ruto, July 14, 2010, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: Shadoninja on March 05, 2015, 12:24:53 PMIf I don't feel important and people are just going to ignore me, there is zero point wasting my time here. I left the forums before for that exact reason.
:o
I liked you.......and missed you.

holland_oates89

Um... Would people be interested in engraving/Finale tips? Part of my job is literally to write how-to articles for Finale's blog.

I can write an article with some general, VERY BASIC engraving tips about how most contemporary music *should* look. I've actually been meaning to do this for a long time so I can organize my own personal rules, so this might be a good project for me to try.

Also - and I don't mean to brag - I can write anything about any topic in Finale if needed. Where should I start?
I work for MakeMusic! Please do ask me for help with Finale! Please don't ask me for special discounts, secret information, or bug fixes.

Disclaimer: The views expressed from me are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer!

Sebastian

So I'm bringing the NSM resources back to life. I'm doing some brainstorming right now. Does anyone have any tutorial or guide ideas?
Since we have a lot of new arrangers, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a bunch of tutorials guides for a variety of things.

braix

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 15, 2010, 06:52:25 PMNot a bad idea. While I'm fourteen and am pretty good at the piano, I don't have any desire for tutorials...
But on YouTube all the comments ever say is "tutorial, please!"

So, this may help... no one can guarantee it though.
Holy shit Slow used to be 14

Anyways, would anyone mind if I make video versions of all these tutorials and upload them to YouTube? I have some free time I can lend to NSM :^)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JDMEK5

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 24, 2015, 04:53:38 PMSo I'm bringing the NSM resources back to life. I'm doing some brainstorming right now. Does anyone have any tutorial or guide ideas?
Since we have a lot of new arrangers, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a bunch of tutorials guides for a variety of things.
I used to have a basic theory topic for this kind of thing. It's been a long time though. I'd have to dig it up again but basically it focused on common issues such as bad rhythm grouping, wrong keys, enharmonic spellings, etc. Maybe an idea would be to have something solely for common problems.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

E. Gadd Industries

WHAT THE HECK!?!?! I TRIED TO CLICK ON THE TUTORIAL FOR METRONOME MARKINGS AND MY COMPUTER SPAZZED OUT, SAYING THAT IT HAD MALWARE ON THAT PAGE!!! IT TOLD ME TO CONTACT SOMEONE HELPDESK FOR WINDOWS, BUT I COULDN'T WAIT AND SO I HAD TO SHUT DOWN MY PC, WHICH COULD HAVE WIPED MY FILES AND OS CLEAN!!!!! WHOEVER POSTED THAT LINK EMBEDDED A CORRUPTED URL!!!!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Oh we changed our URL about a year ago and old links how redirect you to ninsheetm.us, whoever owns that now. Not a very good place.

We probably need to start over with a new topic :P But not before we get organized.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

E. Gadd Industries

Whoever owns it apparently puts malware on their site...  >:(
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

I changed all of the links to the new url, but I can't guarantee they'll all work.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Actually don't click on anything yet
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Okay, so the bad links in the op have been removed/updated. Unfortunately, all of Shadoninja's tutorials were deleted, so those links don't work.

E. Gadd Industries

Thank you for that! I nearly had a heart attack when that d-box appeared on my screen that said something about Malware...
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

Posting this before it gets lost in the submissions archive:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 13, 2015, 04:50:35 PMArticulations are named accordingly. To articulate something is to add clarity or to make something clear. They specify how to play a specific note or passage. Articulations tell us three things: 1) How to start the note. 2) The weight of the note. 3) (sometimes) The end of the note.

With this said, articulations have NOTHING to do with note lengths or dynamics. For example, a quarter note will last twice as long as an eighth note. A quarter note with the staccato marking does not equal an eighth note. Those are two different things that are written two different ways that mean two different things. If you want a shorter note, use a shorter note value. If you want a louder/softer note, use a dynamic mark.

Below are the specific jobs for articulations.

Staccatissimo - a very light weight note with a lifted release (also described as detached).
Staccato - a light weight note with a slightly lifted release (also described as detached).
Tenuto - a defined start, weighted note with no lift, touches the following note or rest.
Accent - a firm start, heavy weighted note with no lift, touches the following note or rest.
Marcato - a very hard start, heavier weight than an accent, sometimes played with a slightly lifted release.

Remember that the release of the note does not directly correlate to the note's length. Like I said:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 13, 2015, 04:50:35 PMA quarter note with the staccato marking does not equal an eighth note.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on November 13, 2015, 12:49:00 PMAlso be aware of the differences between slur and tenuto. A slur is a phrase, often legato, while tenuto is an articulation.

While slurs, ties, and phrase markings might all use the same symbol, they are all different. A slur is not the same as a phrase marking. A slur is an indication to play the included notes smoothly or legato, while a phrase mark is used to display or highlight a phrase. phrase marks are usually over a considerably longer amount of material than slurs.

Olimar12345

Dug this old thing I said up and thought it would fit well in this thread:

The order goes as follows. 

To determine the correct spelling of an accidental, first ask:

1) Is it part of the chord? Does it function harmonically? If, for example, you've transcribed the notes E Ab B, you might want to reconsider that Ab, as E G# B spells out an E major triad. This also applies to what key you're in. If you are in Db Major, chances are you will be using more Gb's over F#'s. This will be the way to go the majority of the time.

If the harmony is irrelevant:

2) Apply the accidental according to the direction it travels towards the next note. This is usually more prevalent in chromatic passages.
Sub-rule: if you are planing or writing in harmony with a consistent interval, keep that interval preserved. If two or more voices are traveling in parallel motion, the interval in which they begin at should remain consistent throughout the passage.

If all else fails:

3) Make it as easy as possible to read. However, you will MOST LIKELY never get to this point. If you think you have, ask someone for a second opinion. This is only for the extreme cases and I doubt something like this would occur in a video game tune.