The Musical Showdown - Discussion for Creation.

Started by MaestroUGC, June 04, 2010, 04:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

We could keep the contestants anonymous, that wouldn't hinder progress.

Yes, the four judges would judge every face-off; they will also determine a universal grading scale on each piece. It'll simply be a scale on how well people followed the guidelines and originality of the piece.

So here's how it will go:
Each week two people will recieve the objectives for their pieces.
They will have a week to write and at the end of the week they will send their entry the judges (I'll find a way to make sure it is anonymous).
Using the grading scale, the judges will individually score each piece. They will combine the four scores for each piece and the higher score moves on.
Rinse and repeat for the next duel.

Submission would be much easier if it wasn't anonymous, but if it the wish of the majority; then I'll find a way to make it work.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

dahans

I can't wait for that. I don't have much time, that's a problem. So if you expect me to write a really really long piece (fex 10 minutes) I won't be able to finish it in a week.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

I see no reason that you should write anything longer than 3 minutes...and only that we be later in the competition.

universe-X

No, around 2-5 minutes at most should do.

I'm liking these ideas. Just remember, everyone needs to be consistent in this game. Meaning that in order for this to work, everyone should be active enough to keep this going. We did something like this on another forum (Mario Paint). It was a tournament and they're still stuck at round 2 with a big turn-off. No one's active enough to keep it going, but then again, it was probably because of when the tourney was taking place (fall/winter).

Summer's the perfect time to start something like this.

MaestroUGC

Well, most of the people here have alreadyfinished school for the year, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Tranzlater

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 05, 2010, 11:03:18 AMWell, most of the people here have alreadyfinished school for the year, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Ugh... we don't finish till the second-last week of july... even through our exams are in two or three weeks...
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

MaestroUGC

Well...most of us have finished.

It looks like we have gotten quite a crowd, so any final suggestions befor eI get this tournament underway?

*Note: this may not start for another week or two.

universe-X

Yes; does the piece that we're gonna make matter at all as far as how advanced it is? And should we trade quality for playability?

MaestroUGC

These issues will be addressed in the rules.

Difficulty will not be an issue unless specified by the judges. However, just because you can make it hard does not mean you can make it unplayable.

Any unplayable submissions will warrant a point deduction, or immediate disqualification depending on how great the offense is.

universe-X

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 05, 2010, 12:18:47 PMThese issues will be addressed in the rules.

Difficulty will not be an issue unless specified by the judges. However, just because you can make it hard does not mean you can make it unplayable.

Any unplayable submissions will warrant a point deduction, or immediate disqualification depending on how great the offense is.

So, what if we don't play/know a specific instrument that we're assigned? Research, I assume?

MaestroUGC

I'll post some guidelines on orchestration, that way people don't assign 3 notes to a single flute player.

TheLegend

I would rather it be either violin/piano, just piano, or violin/cello.  viola clef is hard to understand, and I never use it alot.  so... just my preferences.  and to my last question: are we allowed to use remixes of pieces?  same melody, different form and accompianment?

MaestroUGC

I'll say this only once:

NO ARRANGMENTS, REMIXES, TRANSCRIPTIONS OR ANY UNORIGINAL WORKS. ONLY ORIGINAL PIECES WILL BE ACCEPTED. VIOLATION OF THIS RULE WILL CONSTITUTE IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION.

SuperFireKirby

YAY! Thats just what I personally wanted to hear.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

universe-X

Quote from: TheLegend on June 05, 2010, 12:37:48 PMI would rather it be either violin/piano, just piano, or violin/cello.  viola clef is hard to understand, and I never use it alot.  so... just my preferences.  and to my last question: are we allowed to use remixes of pieces?  same melody, different form and accompianment?

Viola clef... Alto clef, is actually really easy to read. Middle C is on the middle line. (Thanks, Hugo, for that :D)