The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Sorry if that was a bad call Waddle, being a new mod is tuff lyfe.
That said, try not to kill each other guys. I don't really feel like mopping up a bunch of bodies right now.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FireArrow

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 19, 2016, 07:32:57 PMWhy is it so imperative that we discuss this anyway? .-. Can't everyone just have their own beliefs and be content with that?

It's not so much the lack of discussion as what's being used in its place.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Altissimo on March 19, 2016, 02:21:46 PMhow so
*gets out a soapbox and stands on it*
*ahem* Before I begin, I would like to say that my chemistry teacher is a good person; I have no beef with her personality. But when a teacher is head of Project: Graduation, the Dance Team (that is in the top 10 concerning national ranking), Math & Science Club, and National Honors Society, that teacher has stretched themselves WAY too thinly. She has Honors, Pre-AP, and AP classes. Nothing else. I'm in Pre-AP, will be in AP next year. The other day, she made the comment to my Pre-AP class: "I'm assuming you know nothing of what I'm teaching, so I'll start with the very basics." said she about DRAWING A BOHR MODEL. Now, if it were something like thermodynamics & junk like that, or perhaps a regular Ed class, I would be fine. But a Pre-AP class with a skill that's been taught all throughout middle school AND 9th grade, you'd think she would at least give SOME acknowledgement that MAYBE we know what we're doing! Now, I understand that she's a teacher & such, and teachers naturally assume that about students. But look at the subject. Look at the class level. If nothing strikes, then LEARN ABOUT PRETESTS. If that's not enough to set you off, she's one of "those" teachers that if you don't do something her way, you're docked points. A fairly large chunk, I might add. Oh, and don't get me started on the blasted finals for that class. She assumes we know nothing except what she teaches, and get this: SHE INCLUDES THINGS ON THE FINAL THAT SHE NEVER TAUGHT IN CLASS, and if you miss it? TOUGH LUCK!!! You should find this amusing: no one in her AP class has ever taken the AP Test and gotten higher than a 1. A FLIPPING ONE. Something isnt being done correctly in that class IF NOT A SINGLE PERSON CAN SCORE HIGHER THAN THE LOWEST SCORE POSSIBLE ON THE AP TEST. A guy I know has 5s on all the AP Tests. In an effort to keep that straight record, he purposefully didn't take that one. That should say something if nothing else has. I close with this: She's a good person with a good personality.
*gets off soapbox & puts it away*
Ok, ignore all that; Alti just needed to be enlightened.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 19, 2016, 07:32:57 PMWhy is it so imperative that we discuss this anyway? .-. Can't everyone just have their own beliefs and be content with that?
We could, if people weren't implying subtly (or, in this case, not so subtly) that homosexuality is a sin.
Also, Waddle, one little disagreement...
Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 19, 2016, 04:12:36 PMBeing gay is a choice one has made, and it's no one else's responsibility
what is shitpost

Waddle Bro

Not all beliefs are knowledge, so we should be ready to change the way we think if we receive knowledge that shows how you are or can be wrong. The previous points I brought up should explain it pretty well. If there's even a chance you can be wrong, you have no right to force your ways on anyone else. That includes even claiming how being gay is immoral out loud, instead you should show acceptance or not give a fuck whether or not someone's gay. Expressing beliefs that consider someone else inferior to one is never justified, those are based on nothing but preconceptions.

Quote from: braixen1264 on March 19, 2016, 10:53:39 PMSorry if that was a bad call Waddle, being a new mod is tuff lyfe.
That said, try not to kill each other guys. I don't really feel like mopping up a bunch of bodies right now.
don't worry at all man, just glad you seemed to understood my point!! It's fruitful discussion like this and being able to understand where one is coming from that leads to great improvement, we could use more of that and you're showing a great example to others!!

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on March 20, 2016, 11:01:34 AMAlso, Waddle, one little disagreement...
it's great how you're disagreeing with me(instead of following me blindly for the sake of it being me), I'm always ready to explain my thought process!! Anyway you're bringing up the problem of free will, does it exist and if so, to what extent? Is homosexuality really a choice, or do our experiences and knowledge shape us to what we are(could we be predictable)? I've actually talked with Mashi quite a bit about the subject(lol just yesterday I talked with him about determinism and the free will problem). I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying about the free will problem instantly, it's not as clear as 1+1 at first!! Like I said though I'm always down for questions :]
on free will
Recommending reading some of the wiki page about the subject, it seems to cover it pretty well.
So let's start by assuming free will exists. Homosexuality is then a concept that you personally agree with and one makes it a part of one's essence, everything you include in your essence is up to your own decisions to include them. One is also able to change that part of one if at some point one doesn't agree with it anymore. One is the moral agent and every decision they make is up to nothing/nobody but one themselves. (=indeterminism, cause and effect are outside the moral agent) The problem with indeterminism is the relationship between reasons and moral decisions, does one really choose their decisions?
As for determinism, there's not really a point even discussing about it but to tell you there's a chance world might be deterministic. According to determinism, the entire world is or can be explained through causality(there are many forms of possible determinism), even the actions of mind. Everything happens for a reason, objectively world is inevitable. Even your thought process is the effect of certain events and certain experiences happening for certain causes, or by how they just are. At first glance we might assume it's obvious that we have free will, but we really don't know if the world shaped us to what we are or if we did it ourselves.
If we assume the world is deterministic, everything is meaningless and subject has no responsibility. A script is meaningless to it's characters. If everything is determined, what's the point? Because the world being deterministic is a possibility, we still have to take it to account when explaining the world. But there's no point in talking about anything if we assume world is deterministic. That's why I'm focused on explaining the world from an indeterministic standpoint, because of the possibility of the world being indeterministic and having meaning, why focus on an end that leads nowhere?
There's also the synthetic attempt to combine both, compatibilism(the wiki article is short, recommending reading). But in a nutshell, according to compatibilism the world can be both deterministic and indeterministic, free will and laws of nature are not in conflict and a person who isn't forced can choose freely. But the key problem is defining what forcing is, that's why compatibilism overall stands on a very shaky basis.
[close]

Olimar12345

Shit I didn't want to space out today oh well

Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PMNot all beliefs are knowledge, so we should be ready to change the way we think if we receive knowledge that shows how you are or can be wrong. The previous points I brought up should explain it pretty well.

This part I get.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PMIf there's even a chance you can be wrong, you have no right to force your ways on anyone else. That includes even claiming how being gay is immoral out loud, instead you should show acceptance or not give a fuck whether or not someone's gay. Expressing beliefs that consider someone else inferior to one is never justified, those are based on nothing but preconceptions.

Woah this paragraph. Okay, here are some thoughts, which I'll try do divide up since this paragraph kind of goes all over the place. Mind you idc about someone's personal sexual attraction, that's like their own damn business and arguing anything at someone about it is a waste of everyone's time.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PMIf there's even a chance you can be wrong, you have no right to force your ways on anyone else.

Logically, this can make sense from the standpoint of not wanting to sound like a hypocrite, but runs the risk of being way too fucking broad. Also, this is a double-edged sword, and your following sentence contradicts that by forcing your beliefs on how to behave upon others:
Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PMinstead you should show acceptance or not give a fuck whether or not someone's gay.

So now I'm saying being gay is wrong? I guess so, in the form of playing devils advocate. If you're confused, re-read this part from the perspective of a religious person (one who's beliefs are ones who forbid same-sex relations) toward someone of opposing beliefs:
Quote from: Waddle Bro on March 20, 2016, 01:07:02 PMIf there's even a chance you (waddle? Idk) can be wrong, you have no right to force your ways on anyone else. That includes even claiming how being gay is immoral out loud, instead you should show acceptance or not give a fuck whether or not someone's gay. Expressing beliefs that consider someone else inferior to one is never justified, those are based on nothing but preconceptions.

That first sentence should have stood out. "But that part about the accepting gay ppl doesnt maek sense! Religion doesnt do thattt!" bion, they do. In fact, no religion advocates hating or discriminating others. You only really hear about this because 1) ppl who understand the basic principles of their religion have the decency to not verbally violate and shit on those of opposing beliefs, and 2) the media only shows us the shit b/c ratings and the sort.

Conclusion: is homosexuality "wrong?" You decide, and keep it to yourself. Also wtf does "wrong" even mean, and to what standards are you holding it to?

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jub3r7

Whether people say they're okay with it are one thing, how it actually affects my friendships are another. I'm not that great at being friends with people in the first place.

If anyone here thinks homosexuality is a sin, you can pm me to explain so I can have a better understanding. I'm not going to report you.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Dudeman

Guys, I'm really digging the mature discussion. Really. Fantastic job. But let's stop discussing it here and either move it somewhere else or just halt the discussion entirely. This is the rant thread. Again, well done with the maturity level (especially you, Waddle, bravo).
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

Dudeman

Quote from: Dudeman on March 20, 2016, 04:23:47 PMThis is the rant thread.
Please please please feel free to copy-pasta the conversation into the appropriate topic. Religion? Politics? Idc. Just not here please. Thank you.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

Then make a post in said topic with your opinions on it.
Don't just link it and expect us to move there.

braix

It shouldn't require much energy to move this conversation to a more fitting thread and it shouldn't kill it either, in my opinion. We should try to keep this thread about rants as much as possible, not about debates on religion and sexuality or whatever else.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dude

Quote from: Dude on March 20, 2016, 04:34:10 PMThen make a post in said topic with your opinions on it.
Don't just link it and expect us to move there.
https://youtu.be/9oYs_hSlfy0

Dudeman

QuoteForum Rules
1) Do not defame other members in the form of slander, libel, or otherwise spreading falsehoods and rumors. Any posts that contain or can be summarized as 'X is [negative word]' can be considered an attack on that member. Bonus points against you if you decide to use profanities as well.
Enjoy your ban.

Sebastian

Anyway, back to the original topic, I have something to rant about.
It looks like I'm moving :/
I don't want to move because we live in a beautiful area and I've lived here my whole life. Ugh, it will take some getting used to.