News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymondbl

Quote from: Xaoz on March 19, 2015, 06:50:43 AMAs a computer scientist I do the same thing and get payed way more.
What is your job/What kind of projects do you work on?
What programming languages do you know?

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 18, 2015, 05:01:12 PMThat's just the thing. It didn't crash when I used IE to download FF. And FF didn't BSOD until the 3rd launch. And it didn't Bs when I just used Windows Update to check for additional updates. (Checked, and nothing was updated in the past 3 days)
Here's a lengthy description I posted elsewhere to look for answers:
Spoiler
Completely out of the blue, (no pun intended) my laptop bluescreened last night. I thought it was just some random error, but now I can't get it to run for more than 10 minutes without a bluescreen. The strange thing is this: I didn't do anything different. I didn't download anything new.
More info: It's a Dell Inspiron 5520r running windows 7. I haven't had any other bluescreens up to this point. I have also replaced the hard drive with a SSD when it was dropped a year and a half ago. Another note: either the day before or a few days before, I noticed the ram was being hogged. I found out that Trustedinstaller was using 600,000+ KB, so I naturally closed it. Also, after the 2nd bluescreen, I noticed that the gadgets did not pop up as they normally do, and the host program was taking 600,000+ KB of memory. After the 3rd one, it was only taking up 10,000+ KB. And I noticed that Chrome was up every time, but it's been on my computer since I got the SSD.
Any suggestions?
[close]
edit: and I have no restore points for some bizarre reason. :(
Open your Task Manager and monitor the memory usage, sorting the list of processes by memory usage, and see if anything hogs up an abnormal amount of memory. Sorting by CPU usage might reveal something, too. Perhaps try to somehow intentionally crash your system with the Task Manager visible so you can catch anything that happens immediately before the crash.
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Xaoz

Quote from: Raymondbl on March 19, 2015, 05:20:19 PMWhat is your job/What kind of projects do you work on?

I am a software developer, working on a variety of projects from html webdesign over drivers for some medical devices.

Quote from: Raymondbl on March 19, 2015, 05:20:19 PMWhat programming languages do you know?

I know a few... C++/Java/C# is the stuff I use mostly.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Maelstrom

Quote from: Raymondbl on March 19, 2015, 05:20:19 PMOpen your Task Manager and monitor the memory usage, sorting the list of processes by memory usage, and see if anything hogs up an abnormal amount of memory. Sorting by CPU usage might reveal something, too. Perhaps try to somehow intentionally crash your system with the Task Manager visible so you can catch anything that happens immediately before the crash.
Done that.
It seems better, and I was able to cause a bluescreen by opening many programs at once. (Copypaste details below.)
Spoiler
More info: It doesn't always instantly Blue screen. I was able to get Chrome open, albeit with a lengthy, massive CPU spike. (95%+ for 5+ seconds) It seems somewhat stable now, but opening a new page lags the entire computer. It's not just chrome. IE was extremely laggy and FireFox crashed as well. Yet, I was able to check for updates with windows update. I'll update this post in a few moments when I get the next inevitable bluescreen.
Opening 14 tabs at once maxed out the CPU for 20+ Seconds. It's an Intel i5-3210 (2.50 GHz) so I don't understand why this is happening.
Opening Itunes, GC, FF, and IE simultaneously resulted in a 40+ second max spike and Blue screened 30 seconds after the cpu usage went down
And now the details:

Problem event name: Bluescreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional info:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88006401D7B
BCP3: FFFFF8800732D798
BCP4: FFFFF8800732CFF0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\windows\Minidump\031914-5428-01.dmp
c:\Users....\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-37440-0.sysdata.xml
[close]

Raymondbl

Quote from: Xaoz on March 19, 2015, 05:26:33 PMI am a software developer, working on a variety of projects from html webdesign over drivers for some medical devices.

I know a few... C++/Java/C# is the stuff I use mostly.
Interesting. Which language(s) do you feel have the most potential for the future? I'm sort of bummed out that I chose to invest in my first programming language (Java), and am looking to specialize in another language more useful for heavy desktop applications or client-side web applications.

I'm a 16-year old high school student and have been learning programming for two years. I got my OCPJP certification last year. Currently working on OCM certification.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 19, 2015, 06:04:24 PMDone that.
It seems better, and I was able to cause a bluescreen by opening many programs at once. (Copypaste details below.)
Spoiler
More info: It doesn't always instantly Blue screen. I was able to get Chrome open, albeit with a lengthy, massive CPU spike. (95%+ for 5+ seconds) It seems somewhat stable now, but opening a new page lags the entire computer. It's not just chrome. IE was extremely laggy and FireFox crashed as well. Yet, I was able to check for updates with windows update. I'll update this post in a few moments when I get the next inevitable bluescreen.
Opening 14 tabs at once maxed out the CPU for 20+ Seconds. It's an Intel i5-3210 (2.50 GHz) so I don't understand why this is happening.
Opening Itunes, GC, FF, and IE simultaneously resulted in a 40+ second max spike and Blue screened 30 seconds after the cpu usage went down
And now the details:

Problem event name: Bluescreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional info:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88006401D7B
BCP3: FFFFF8800732D798
BCP4: FFFFF8800732CFF0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\windows\Minidump\031914-5428-01.dmp
c:\Users....\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-37440-0.sysdata.xml
[close]
So, do the programs max out the CPU by themselves, or with another process? For example, when you get Chrome open, is Chrome itself taking up 95%, or is it taking up, say, 25%, with another process taking up 70%?

Maelstrom

I just realized that's the one thing I forgot to check. I also just realized that Finale Notepad was using 15% of the CPU for about 5 seconds despite not being used for the past hour. So, yeah, that might be the problem. What do I do if seemingly random programs do that?

Raymondbl

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 19, 2015, 06:35:48 PMI just realized that's the one thing I forgot to check. I also just realized that Finale Notepad was using 15% of the CPU for about 5 seconds despite not being used for the past hour. So, yeah, that might be the problem. What do I do if seemingly random programs do that?
Dang it, I was banking on a single process being the problem. If the programs that eat up the CPU are random, then I've run out of ideas. Perhaps it's an issue with aging/malfunctioning hardware, although your processor seems to be only 2 years old. Perhaps something in the operating system has a corrupted file/registry, which must be fixed by re-installing Windows. It's probably something else entirely that I have no knowledge of.

I think that if you go into the "details" section of the Task Manager and right click on certain processes,you can set the priority to "low." That could temporarily alleviate the issue by preventing them from obtaining too much CPU bandwidth, while you continue to investigate.

InsigTurtle

Xaoz

Quote from: Raymondbl on March 19, 2015, 06:12:19 PMInteresting. Which language(s) do you feel have the most potential for the future? I'm sort of bummed out that I chose to invest in my first programming language (Java), and am looking to specialize in another language more useful for heavy desktop applications or client-side web applications.

Uhm... I have honestly no idea.
I think Java, C++ and C# are a good start if you want to develop desktop applications. It depends on the project, but if I have the free choice, I would always choose C# for that, because it offers a lot of simple solutions for complex problems. Developing with it is usually pretty straight forward and data-binding is also pretty cool when using WPF. WPF still has it's flaws, but overall I prefer the whole XAML system over the old WinForms version.
If you want to go and make some (smartphone-)apps (which will be even more important in the future) having a good knowledge of said languages will benefit you greatly.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

GaryOak

Had tough time with a long-term friend and I guess we're pretty much done. Does anyone want to be my rebound friend in skype?
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

ZeldaFan

I'll be your friend :) can't guarantee I'll be on Skype a lot though. I've been so busy the last couple weeks :-\

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

GaryOak

Ty :) my address is in my profile. Anyone who feels like it can add me too, I don't bite often.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm in the middle of taking a history test right now; the first 15 questions all have to do with either the Marshall plan or the Lend-Lease/Cash and Carry programs, many of which restate the exact same thing prior questions have said. There are probably going to be another 10-15 questions about those two subjects. WEBARELYCOVEREDTHATINTHECOURSEWHYARETHERESOMANYQUESTIONSABOUTIT. DEARLORDHAVEMERCY.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

ZeldaFan

I'm gonna be signing up for classes tonight, and if all goes well, my schedule will be something like this:

Monday/Wednesday: 8am: Portrait Drawing
                             5:30pm: Senior Seminar
Tuesday/Thursday:   1pm: Arts Management
Thursday only:         7pm: AVC Lecture Series
Friday:                   9am: Drawing 3

How am I supposed to work at any decent job with a schedule like that?? >:(

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Nebbles

I've had this goddamn neck/shoulder pain ALL DAY
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Bubbles

I've always been very susceptible to other people emotions affecting my own (idk if there's an actual term for this). I've learned to deal with most of it--stay away from the anxious librarian, etc, and I've been doing really well with it! But today this very nervous kid was talking to me and I actually had a mild panic attack because his attitude was affecting me so much. After he left I was shaking for a good ten minutes and all my friends were worried (which just made me feel worse) :/ the weird thing was although i had that sensation of fear and nervousness, if I really thought about it I felt totally fine, but I just couldn't control myself

tl;dr I envy those who can live with their own emotions