The Rant Thread/My Life Sucks Topic [Don't be pricks]

Started by KefkaticFanatic, January 15, 2010, 06:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrP

So I am probably gonna be working 10 hour days all this week (and then another 5-10 on Saturday).

So... ... at least I get free food.

Ruto

Yeah, I hope so too! But you probably won't since you said salary D;

Still it's good if you're like me and you don't have free food or anywhere else to go.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

DrP

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 27, 2014, 11:29:30 PMI hope you get overtime.
Nope... salary.

Though there are lawsuits against all the firms... because since I do not have a professional license yet, I am technically not an "exempt" employee, so technically I should be getting overtime.

I also found out today that from Jan 6 to April 15 we should be working up to 800 hours. That's a little less than 12 hours a day (not including the weekends).

BlackDragonSlayer

I've just decided that one of my goals in life is to make a better homeschool system. The school I'm with has an excessive amount of problems that often prove to be quite irritating (especially the ones that pop up when you least expect them), as well as numerous "hoops" to "jump" through. I understand that all schools are responsible to the state, but some of the problems are really unnecessary and could be ironed out with a little effort...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Ruto

Yes please tell the religious nuts they can't get away with barely teaching their kids actual skills.

Only saying that because someone posted this today. Wtf...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

FierceDeity

Quote from: Ruto on January 28, 2014, 08:24:04 PMsomeone posted this today

this makes me sad

#1 - Is public education really the driving force behind gang formation?
#2 - Teacher-pupil ratio? Good. Teacher qualification and education level? Not so great.
#3 - I feel like this stereotype does not represent the majority of public schools.
#4 - Hahahahahahaha "socializing"
#5 - Ok wait there's no way this can be considered an actual reason
#6 - Why, it's not like you have to go outside. Is a more apathetic school system really supposed to be the benefit of home schooling?
#7 - Well I mean, school prayer isn't really disencouraged in public school, it's just not forced upon everybody because that would be wrong...
#8 - Who cares about appearances when your child will have no friends, am I right?
#9 - Because bringing food from home isn't a thing, and all cafeteria food is inherently bad.
#10 - Now your children get to spend their entire birthdays partying with their...friends?
#11 - Who needs a regular learning schedule, anyways?
#12 - Books? What are books? These were never offered to me, as I only had a lowly public school education.
#13 - Those crazy kids, always going on about rock and roll and whatnot.
#14 - Now you won't have to worry that your children are receiving any influence whatsoever from the society that they're supposed to live in for the rest of their lives! Hooray!
#15 - I MUST PROTECT MY CHILDREN FROM THE HORRORS OF HAVING TO RAISE THEIR HANDS TO GO TO THE RESTROOM. NOTHING COULD BE WORSE THAN THAT.
#16 - I'm pretty sure only private schools with mandatory uniforms can kick you out for wearing pajamas to class, and people who home school are generally more okay with private schools, anyways...
#17 - Now that chores are considered schoolwork, your kids will be way more enthusiastic about them!
#18 - Not gonna lie, this one actually sounds pretty nice.
#19 - Yes, it is only when you homeschool your kids that they will ever interact with one another, ever.
#20 - And by "home", we mean "shut off from the world and anybody with whom you might disagree, despite factual evidence against your own opinion"!

BlackDragonSlayer

Oh goodness! Somebody tried to make a joke about the inconveniences of school (with a slight religious connotation! Gasp!)! From what you said about that link, I was expecting to facepalm about a forum/article of overly-religious parents talking about why homeschool is better, but I actually laughed a bit, because many of those things are things my own family joke about. :P

I suspect you took that way too seriously, unless there's something I'm really missing, and that image was not intended as a joke, in which case, I am afraid.

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 28, 2014, 08:58:02 PM#20 - And by "home", we mean "shut off from the world and anybody with whom you might disagree, despite factual evidence against your own opinion"!
I enjoy hiding from the world in my house. *hiss*

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

Home schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 28, 2014, 10:18:11 PMHome schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents.

This is very accurate, actually.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 28, 2014, 10:18:11 PMHome schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents.
The only people I have trouble communicating with are people of my own age (generally- mostly because I don't care for many people of that age demographic for various reasons, but the same can apply to people of any age group). Adults on the other hand (and not just my parents/family members)?
It seems as if you're just making a completely uneducated assumption about homeschoolers. From what I've noticed and/or heard, homeschoolers (what I mean by this is kids who have been homeschooled a majority of their lives) are generally a lot better behaved than public school kids (and often do better academically). And, to be honest, I've met and known public school kids who have worse social skills than I do- and that's saying something.

From personal experience, I know that homeschool is a lot better for me than regular school (and even private schools). My education is practically driven solely by my desire to learn rather than being forced to learn, which is likely to be a problem if I didn't have such a desire. :P

...I really do have a penchant to argue about things...

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Clanker37

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMFrom personal experience, I know that homeschool is a lot better for me than regular school (and even private schools). My education is practically driven solely by my desire to learn rather than being forced to learn, which is likely to be a problem if I didn't have such a desire. :P
Have you ever been in a public school classroom?

Also, I hate how people auto-assume that Private schools are the best. The graduates they produce usually fail at Uni since they're spoon fed everything on a golden platter.  It's really aggravating to have Private snobs tell you that you have no future when you're at a Public school

SlowPokemon

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMThe only people I have trouble communicating with are people of my own age (generally- mostly because I don't care for many people of that age demographic). Adults on the other hand (and not just my parents/family members)?

Have you ever considered that it might be a bad thing that you can't connect to others your own age?

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMFrom what I've noticed and/or heard, homeschoolers (what I mean by this is kids who have been homeschooled a majority of their lives) are generally a lot better behaved than public school kids (and often do better academically).

Unfortunately, both of your comments here are totally irrelevant to the point SFK and I are making.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMAnd, to be honest, I've met and known public school kids who have worse social skills than I do- and that's saying something.

On the whole, people who have been in environments with many others their own ages will be far more socially adept than those who talk to no one but their families on a regular basis. And it's not just about social skills.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMFrom personal experience, I know that homeschool is a lot better for me than regular school (and even private schools).

Unfortunately, the world isn't as black and white as your homeschooling would have you believe. As much as you like to think that you can do anything alone as long as you learn enough, there are some things you cannot learn or experience without being put into a situation with a lot of other people.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PMMy education is practically driven solely by my desire to learn rather than being forced to learn, which is likely to be a problem if I didn't have such a desire. :P

I'm not quite sure how this is relevant, either. You make it sound as though every home-schooled student is motivated by a desire to learn, and none of the students attending public schools are. There are people of both types in both settings, ja? So your statement is totally out of place here.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 28, 2014, 10:29:21 PM...I really do have a penchant to argue about things...

No, it seems to me that you have a penchant to ignore all arguments except the ones with which you're comfortable. For something to be a true argument, each party has to acknowledge the possibility that he/she is wrong.

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 28, 2014, 10:41:58 PMHave you ever been in a public school classroom?

Also, I hate how people auto-assume that Private schools are the best. The graduates they produce usually fail at Uni since they're spoon fed everything on a golden platter.  It's really aggravating to have Private snobs tell you that you have no future when you're at a Public school

That's also true, and goes along with the point I'm trying to stress, which is that home-schooling does absolutely nothing to prepare you for the real world.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 28, 2014, 10:41:58 PMHave you ever been in a public school classroom?
Yes. Especially so last year, when I was forced to visit one as part of a "Mobile Science Lab" program (and also for finals- fortunately, I didn't have to go there for finals this year, as the local campus was repurposed since the grades of the school were plummeting).

QuoteAlso, I hate how people auto-assume that Private schools are the best. The graduates they produce usually fail at Uni since they're spoon fed everything on a golden platter.  It's really aggravating to have Private snobs tell you that you have no future when you're at a Public school
Yeah- I agree with that somewhat. My second-cousin used to go to a private school, and she was usually up very late at night doing homework (and that was during elementary school). Private schools as a concept sound really good, but often, the only advantage they have is smaller class size.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 28, 2014, 10:46:51 PMHave you ever considered that it might be a bad thing that you can't connect to others your own age?
I once did, but I quickly reconsidered.

QuoteUnfortunately, both of your comments here are totally irrelevant to the point SFK and I are making.
No they aren't, unless I'm not reading in-between lines that don't exist. If I recall correctly, your point is that "Home schooled kids a generally far less adequate in social skills and the ability to communicate with people who aren't their batshit crazy parents," and "home-schooling does absolutely nothing to prepare you for the real world," both of which, I can assure you, are completely false.

QuoteOn the whole, people who have been in environments with many others their own ages will be far more socially adept than those who talk to no one but their families on a regular basis. And it's not just about social skills.
You're completely contradicting yourself here. If you whole point was about social skills, then why do you disagree when:
1: You say that it's not only about social skills.
2: That I say that your comment about social skills of homeschoolers isn't always true, and I know numerous public school kids, whether personally or indirectly, whose social skills are worse than my own- WHICH IS SAYING SOMETHING.

QuoteUnfortunately, the world isn't as black and white as your homeschooling would have you believe. As much as you like to think that you can do anything alone as long as you learn enough, there are some things you cannot learn or experience without being put into a situation with a lot of other people.
Unfortunately, homeschooling doesn't have me believe that the world is black and white. You also seem to be implying that I have absolutely no experience with anything aside from my family and education, in which case, you're gonna have a bad time.

QuoteI'm not quite sure how this is relevant, either. You make it sound as though every home-schooled student is motivated by a desire to learn, and none of the students attending public schools are. There are people of both types in both settings, ja? So your statement is totally out of place here.
Apparently, you completely missed that I said "which is likely to be a problem if I didn't have such a desire." I was talking about myself. I wasn't talking about other homeschoolers or public school students. I don't see how you can even think that it's out of place, especially given what your points apparently are (or "aren't").

QuoteNo, it seems to me that you have a penchant to ignore all arguments except the ones with which you're comfortable. For something to be a true argument, each party has to acknowledge the possibility that he/she is wrong.
It's funny how you're blaming me of doing that, when that's essentially all you're doing. No, that IS the ONLY thing that you're doing. Not to mention the fact that you obviously know more about homeschool and its results, good or bad, than me. Of course you do. Why wouldn't you. ::) I have no reason to doubt you at all. I might as well give up, because I am just an ignorant imbecile who knows nothing. Yep.

QuoteThat's also true, and goes along with the point I'm trying to stress, which is that home-schooling does absolutely nothing to prepare you for the real world.
You have nothing to back up your point aside from bias and assumptions.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

The Joke's on all of you, I home schooled myself on everything I know today. I'm only in college for the networking.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.