The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

Honestly I'm getting tired of all the climate issues, that seem alarming. I was very interested in the climate problems before (and to a certain extent still am). But I've been tired of all the alarmists who just yell "eat vegan! Switch to electric cars! Or bio fuel..." it's distressing... And it seems like most people are worried that Trump exited the Paris climate agreement. And it has just escalated from there on. But I took a different approach and went to core of the problem: which seems to be CO2 in the air. That was what Al Gore talked about in the early 2000. And that's the root to it (it was back then referred to as the "global warming"), it is of lately they've been starting to use the term "global warming". And the root of it, what it all came down to was the CO2 in the air, to a large extent, some of it were other gases, and other environmental problems like deforestation, but mostly CO2 in the air. And CO2 coming from cars, primarily.

So I was pretty ok in chemistry, and it intrigued me in the senior upper school. So I thought of getting to the root of the problem. The CO2 is basically 1 Carbon atom, and 2 Oxygen atoms. And then you take a look at Oxigen gas which is just 2 oxygen atoms, and after that H2O (water) which is 1 Hydrogen atom and 2 Oxygen atoms. The later ones are harmless in nature (present no threats like "climate change/global warming". But the first apparently does so. And they are strikingly similar. So the key problem is how to get rid of that carbon atom in the middle of carbon dioxide. And one way is "the natural way" which pretty much everything in natur binds carbon to it (like flowers via photosynthesis). Which is the best way, but it takes time. The second would be if some genius figured out a way to get rid of that coal by some artificial way (by some machine) somehow. By like hoovering it in and the trying to get rid of the coal but releasing oxygen. making it bind in some chemical way. And there has been some success to that by using basalt in some way. 

tldr: The problem with all the climate issues has a lot to with the "bad black atom" in the middle of the molecule (in the image below). If we could get rid of that one (and put it down into the ground), there would be a lot less alarming about the dangers of climate change/global warming, and we'd all have clean air and clean water and be "Happy Gilmore". People spend more time caring about trends like "vegan food", "electric/biogas cars" and not getting to the root of the problem. And I think that if people would think more intelligently, we be able to handle this problem more efficiently.
Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

I vote live somewhere with lots of plants and easily accessible freshwater, with a relatively low population, possibly caused by unattractive winter months, and a temperate climate that encourages the growth of hardy plants like potatoes, corn, and beans.  possibly somewhere near the mouth of the largest river in the united states as well, that seems like a good place to go
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: mikey on December 29, 2017, 12:57:56 PMI vote live somewhere with lots of plants and easily accessible freshwater, with a relatively low population, possibly caused by unattractive winter months, and a temperate climate that encourages the growth of hardy plants like potatoes, corn, and beans.  possibly somewhere near the mouth of the largest river in the united states as well, that seems like a good place to go
Could you possibly be referring to Hawai'i Minnesota?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on December 29, 2017, 10:05:55 PMCould you possibly be referring to Hawai'i Minnesota?

(plays "the force theme") (starts reading like an old man telling a story):
In the middle of the 1800, there was an interesting historical event in Swedish history. There were hard and bad times in Sweden (poverty and bad crops) which lead to a lot of people feeling bad and depressed. And in that moment of time, a lot of people sought out to "the land of the free" :P, America. Where everything should be happy. Where the crops grow big and everlasting joy. The first thing they saw was the Statue of Liberty (which must have look like a sign of wealth and prosperity for them) and they later settled and try to get into the society. But as time passed that "land of the free and prosperity and etc." wasn't "that" good after all. Sometimes you find a job, next day you didn't. And the dreams became more grey (but still maybe better than in Sweden, as those years in Sweden were dire). And they experience some hardships like "living in some ghetto" (there is a place called "Swede Hollow" which many went on to, thinking that they have it better living with more Swedes (but it turned out the other way, as the place became or was a ghetto). And a lot of Swedes actually settled in Minnesota (who knows why, no clue). And some Swedes actually got it better, there was some story of the "three lucky Swedes" who made a fortune of finding gold (which you could keep in the US at that time and probably also nowadays. Which you couldn't in Europe then and maybe not even nowadays, as it had to be returned to the king or the state/nation.). So if you were lucky, you could get rich. Other also succeeded but not to that extent. But through working hard, and finding like the best place to live (like a nice little western village). There they could have it better than in like Swede Hollow as it wasn't a "ghetto" but a nice village. So they could have a better job (but which probably was pretty rough, but all jobs back then were rough), but they really had trouble with the language and also getting accustomed to the new land (in Sweden they knew all the names of everything, trees, flowers, birds etc., but in the US the knew nothing, it was brand new for them), which created some anxiety and doubt and homesickness. But in the end of the story, some succeeded and others failed, it is as simple as that. And after those years the situation became better in Sweden, the land grew up from it's poverty which lead to that the migration stopped.

All of this did I hear from a documentary at Christmas Eve (which is the day we in the Scandinavian countries celebrate Christmas on, because reasons, look it up yourself), which was really interesting. The "Swedish migration to America" is known as big event in Swedish history, and a famous Swedish author, Vilhelm Moberg, has written a tetralogi about it. And that series is very well known and popular in Sweden, basically "a Swedish literature classic".

Cool seeing the bonds we have with America. :)

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

E. Gadd Industries

OY Is Discord not working for anyone else?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

WaluigiTime64

it popped back up for me just then, although 3 servers i'm in are still out currently

make that 2

make that none. all's good
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

AmpharosAndy

I find it interesting how we all know each other yet don't know each other simultaneously...
innit

EFitTrainr

how do I hide all posts from a specific user
I like food.

blueflower999

Add them to your ignore list in your profile.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

EFitTrainr

I like food.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

EFitTrainr

I like food.