News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on November 11, 2017, 02:04:55 PMOne of my psychology projects is over synesthesia, and given how common it is, I started to wonder, does anyone here have the condition?
It's when two or more of your senses are linked together, so like as you read this, each letter of the alphabet has its own distinct colour, or the music you may or may not be listening to is causing you to taste or smell something that isn't actually there.
idk if its real or not but i'm always assigning colors to things that don't actually have shape, like words or smells. also certain sounds make my nose feel a certain way but i wouldn't call it a smell?? like its definitely a smell-reaction but its not the same as how i smell other things

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on November 11, 2017, 02:04:55 PMOne of my psychology projects is over synesthesia, and given how common it is, I started to wonder, does anyone here have the condition?
It's when two or more of your senses are linked together, so like as you read this, each letter of the alphabet has its own distinct colour, or the music you may or may not be listening to is causing you to taste or smell something that isn't actually there.
I've got color association with letters and numbers. 1 is red, 2 is blue, 3 is yellow, 4 is something dark, 5 is green, 6 is blue I think, 7's kind of a teal, 8's orange, and 9 is purple. There are only a select few letters that have the same treatment, but C and E are both yellow and F is something dark.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

It's weird because I do the same associations, but they're not ever with something physical or explainable. It's just they have this specific feel to them that's distinct. This applies both to verbal sounds, ways things are worded, numbers, and musical notes.

Olimar12345

I guess I should have elaborated. I have Grapheme-color and Number form synesthesia. This is how I perceive/"see" symbols:

Spoiler

A B C D E F G H I J K
L M N O P Q R S T U V
W X Y Z

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) , . ?

Symbols that are white may also be black, but not vice-versa. Most punctuation symbols are black. Also, when reading quickly sometimes the first letter of small words can dictate the color of the entire word. For example: if I see a three letter word that starts with "f" like "for," it will all appear orange.
[close]

The number form bit is harder to explain. The gist of it is that I perceive numerical sequences in a 3D space. For example, the calendar year is a counter-clockwise motion where days/weeks literally wind up within the given months.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

E. Gadd Industries

This is really interesting! I'm sure it's commonplace for all of you, but for me, I don't have it, and it sounds so strange, like an enhanced perception or something!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 12, 2017, 09:52:36 AMI guess I should have elaborated. I have Grapheme-color and Number form synesthesia.
Holy shit, this is actually me too. The Grapheme-color form should have been obvious from earlier, but I just looked up number form and I have that too. The alphabet is separated into different rows, the calendar's months are adjacent to each other but December kind of flows backwards into January (like, every successive month is to the right of the previous month, except December which somehow has both November and January on the left), and the number line is really really hard to explain but it's a fairly complex shape or line that strings them along.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

braix

I'm not sure whether to be jealous or feel bad for you guys
Is it something that affects daily life in any way?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

I feel like I should be the annoying guy who points out that isn't exactly "intense" or severe synesthesia because for some people it makes them almost not able to function in daily life
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 12, 2017, 04:38:11 PMI feel like I should be the annoying guy who points out that isn't exactly "intense" or severe synesthesia because for some people it makes them almost not able to function in daily life

I'm not sure whose post you're referring to. For me it definitely impairs my ability to read to a noticeable degree. In junior high I was tested with the suspicion that I had dyslexia. I didn't know it could be as severe as you said, and I've never heard of anyone having it that bad.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

The only colors I see when reading are black, white, and gray-blue.

InsigTurtle

Misophonia is kinda a type of synesthesia, according to some sources, but a negative kind. That's where some sounds invoke very strong negative reactions. For me, it's sounds of people chewing and eating loudly, slurping, and the sound of forks and spoons hitting bowls and plates. It can annoy and disgust me to the point that I can't concentrate on anything else, and I just have to get away.

Not what you'd normally think when talkin' about synesthesia, but there you go.

Dekkadeci

I don't have synesthesia. I do strongly associate letters and keys with certain colours, though. Then again, since I keep associating G with green, G major with medium green, G minor with green-black, B flat major with light blue, and B flat minor with blue-black, I suspect that I just might be associating some letters and keys with the starting letters of colours.

WaluigiTime64

I sort-of have the same thing with key signatures too, and I also associate G major with green, but Db, Eb and Bb are yellow, Ebm and Bbm are a murkier yellow, Ab is orange, F is purple, Fm is dark purple, C is white, A is a somewhat-light blue, C#, D and Dm are a somewhat-dark blue, C#m, E and Em are red, etc. etc.

Strangely, putting different spellings for the same thing gives different colours, such as C# (which is blue) and Db (which is yellow).

It's probably not synesthesia but it's just something I do.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Tobbeh99

I don't know if you guys remembered (or cared) but for a while ago I posted about me doing Dota 2 all hero challenge (basically winning a game with all heroes, in a specific order). And I'm doing fine with that! Before I was at like the 14th hero or so (out of 115), now I'm at like 86! So only like 30 heroes remaining! Man this challenge feels like running a marathon ::) :(, really time-consuming, tedious and slow.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Dude