News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 10, 2017, 05:48:18 PMI'd like a source.
how about common knowledge

I think it was Nixon who decided to put it in?  Either way, I think spiting the USSR and communism as a whole is a great idea
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 10, 2017, 05:32:59 PMThose 2 words aren't there to force religion on innocent kids.

You sure?

And no, it's not a matter of just choosing not to say it. The teachers basically force all kids to say the pledge. Which is creepy and bad no matter what they're saying.

More than anything, it just blatantly violates the agreement to separation of church and state and it's maddening to me how no one seems to care.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 10, 2017, 06:22:14 PMMore than anything, it just blatantly violates the agreement to separation of church and state and it's maddening to me how no one seems to care.
I feel the exact same way, but no one seems to see it that way. So I've just stopped talking about it with people. I don't recite the pledge anymore, but I still stand and show respect.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

LeviR.star

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on September 10, 2017, 06:59:18 PMbut I still stand and show respect.

Now that is something I like to see.

Also, EDIT: 2800 pages!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 10, 2017, 06:22:14 PMYou sure?

And no, it's not a matter of just choosing not to say it. The teachers basically force all kids to say the pledge. Which is creepy and bad no matter what they're saying.
I actually agree with this- what I'd prefer is kids understanding the choice to recite the pledge and say it because they mean it, not because it's a pattern that they've been taught
unmotivated

Trainer Ave

^^^^^^^^
Completely agree. Half the people I graduated with don't have a clue what the pledge actually meant.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Zunawe

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 10, 2017, 05:32:59 PMWhy should that be changed? Does it matter a whole lot? The most recent lyrics are nearly 63 years old and I don't think anyone's planning on changing them. Back then, at the time it was written, the concentration of Christians in America was higher, so the worship of God was a norm for nearly everyone.

If you don't want to say the pledge, or if you want to be an atheist, that's completely fine. I'm just saying America isn't going to remove 2 words from its pledge for those who take them way too seriously. Those 2 words aren't there to force religion on innocent kids.
I don't think "It's too much effort" (and it most certainly isn't) is a good reason to keep it in. It's kids who recite the pledge, not full-grown adults who can make their own decisions. In my opinion, not only is it more ethical, but it's more powerful for a person to choose their own faith, if any. Why then should kids be expected (though not typically required) to add in a couple lines that reference a particular religion? Regardless of why it was put there in the first place.

I realized I was typing this up on a page I hadn't refreshed. Doesn't much change what I want to say though.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 10, 2017, 08:00:36 PMI actually agree with this- what I'd prefer is kids understanding the choice to recite the pledge and say it because they mean it, not because it's a pattern that they've been taught

Agreed.

braix

i pledge allegiance to the states of the united states of america;
and to the republic for which it stands;
one nation, with liberty and justice.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

LeviR.star

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 11, 2017, 07:14:51 AMI choked on my coffee

It's recommended not to ingest coffee in solid form; try it as a liquid.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

Strange as it sounds, some people literally inhale their coffee
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 11, 2017, 09:06:49 AMIt's recommended not to ingest coffee in solid form; try it as a liquid.

This did not really make sense because people are capable of choking on liquids

LeviR.star

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 11, 2017, 11:21:39 AMThis did not really make sense because people are capable of choking on liquids

'Twas a joke, my friend.

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999