The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 24, 2017, 11:00:31 PMOkay but sondheim is god
Controversial but I don't particularly like his musicals. They're very good, mind you, but they all feel the same to me. If we're going for gods, I'd put forth Bernstein. 
innit

InsigTurtle

I feel like vegetables are taking over my life. Illusions of broccoli and sugar peas and celery are floating around in my head.

BlackDragonSlayer

That seems worrisome. I think you need help.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

swimswamit

Wow I really missed the boat on all this Hamilton stuff. Basically, it's not the musical to end all musicals, it was over-hyped some, in fact I think I liked sunset boulevard better but it's hard to sit down in Hamilton and not enjoy it. When I went to the thing it seemed more about everyone just having a good time than being so serious about everything, everyone went out smiling and a lot of it was just plain humour and all, I think if all the fanbase actually got to go see it they'd calm down a lot.

Sad you don't like it but if you get a chance to go I would definitely go just for the heck of it, still might make for a fun night.

Anyway I tried the elevator thing and cut a solid second off, thank you all, it was put to good use when I couldn't get the key to open the door for a second

SlowPokemon

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 25, 2017, 12:13:48 AMControversial but I don't particularly like his musicals. They're very good, mind you, but they all feel the same to me. If we're going for gods, I'd put forth Bernstein.

I mean, it's not like I liked any of Sondheim's musicals the first or second time I heard them, but I guess it's impossible to make people understand that it takes time to see why they're incredible (and how they're not all the same at all--have you even heard more than one of his?). Idk how to get that across to people though. The information age is very much a "first impression is all I really care about" culture. There's no one who wouldn't become obsessed with Sondheim if they would listen to his music enough.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 25, 2017, 06:41:16 AMI mean, it's not like I liked any of Sondheim's musicals the first or second time I heard them, but I guess it's impossible to make people understand that it takes time to see why they're incredible (and how they're not all the same at all--have you even heard more than one of his?). Idk how to get that across to people though. The information age is very much a "first impression is all I really care about" culture. There's no one who wouldn't become obsessed with Sondheim if they would listen to his music enough.
Now, again, I'm not a person who's very familiar with or otherwise "into" musicals, but I'd think if something (speaking in a very broad sense here; you could substitute anything for "something") was like an acquired taste as you describe it to be, it wouldn't really be fair to say that everyone would like that thing, especially because the process leading up to actually enjoying it can deter a lot of people (and for good reason: you don't want to have to endure something you don't like very much just to find out that you still don't like it!).

And also, I don't think the "first impression" thing is limited to modern day either.

complete unrelated but i found this old topic because a guest was viewing it and i have to say... what even ??? ??? ???
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

You're not really changing my mind, but the goron cookie topic made me laugh

Olimar12345

I often think of this when playing games that I know are shitty: sometimes I have to wonder if when a game (or anything really) starts to grow on me, is it really the game that became enjoyable after a certain amount of hours or mentally am I trying to convince myself that the extensive amount of time I spent on it was not wasted?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

With Sondheim it's not that it "starts to become enjoyable," it's that all the pieces start falling together and you suddenly start to understand what kind of genius the work is. The payoff is unlike anything else I've encountered in music. It's more of an intellectual "eureka" than "this is growing on me."

MaestroUGC

Your love for everything Sondheim is a well documented fact on this forum. That's fine, you can gush all you like. But please, just stop with the sycophantic idolatry of him every time somebody mentions a work of theatre that isn't by him. Let people enjoy what they like, you're constant interjecting of "Sondheim is best only" grinds whatever conversation is happening to a halt and is, quite frankly, rude and obnoxious. We get it. Let people have their cake.

If you want to discuss your love for his work, could you please do so without hijacking other people's conversations about other composers?

Sincerely,
Maestro "Baby-Face" Maestro
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

mikey

but I like sondheim too
into the woods is my favorite musical

did you know sondheim did the lyrics to west side story
unmotivated

Bloop

i've actually never heard of sondheim before today

AmpharosAndy

catch the moon, one handed caaaaaatch!

genius
innit

mikey