News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 20, 2016, 12:29:12 PMIf this is what being high feels like don't ever want to smoke weed
If you're not enjoying it, you probably aren't smoking weed ;)
In all seriousness though, what're you doped up on?
what is shitpost

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 20, 2016, 02:32:26 PMIf you're not enjoying it, you probably aren't smoking weed ;)
In all seriousness though, what're you doped up on?
wisdom teeth.  I'll try to get a hold of the video, maybe you guys will enjoy it
unmotivated

SuperFireKirby

So pain meds then? Probably a low dose opiate. Yeah, that stuff isn't very fun, don't know why anyone uses it recreationally.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

mikey

I watched my video, turns out I spent a fair amount of time meditating, "trying to get the drugs out of my system"
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

Something on the YMMV page for Sonic '06 on TV Tropes has been bothering me...
QuotePorting Disaster: Both systems of the game suffer from this.
The PS3 version ended up making the (already long) load times even worse, with slowdown issues not present in the Xbox 360 version and a small but noticeable degradation in graphics.
The Xbox 360 version, however, suffers from an abhorrent amount of glitches and bugs that make the game almost impossible to play. While the graphics are slightly better and the loading times are tolerable, the gameplay itself is much worse.
The XBox 360 version can't be a porting disaster because it was the original version.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Altissimo

hey, Nitro, just the person I wanted to see! (I've been writing this here post for like 20 minutes.)
re: forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=8434 enter the dragonfly and all this talk about whether or not games are good because they get bad reviews:

Super Mario Galaxy is often praised more highly over Super Mario 64. It has every right to be: it is the technically, visually, and control-wise superior game. This is a statement of fact. That being said, I like Super Mario 64 many, many times more. This is a conclusion I came to myself, after playing both games, multiple times, and thinking about why I like and do not like them. I disagree with reviewers in this regard because most of them think Galaxy is the better game, and while yes it is on some more superficial levels - technical, visual, control - I do not enjoy playing it nearly as much as SM64 and think SM64 is a better game for gameplay. This has to do mostly with the fact that Galaxy is linear, whereas I personally prefer the sandboxy-type nature of Super Mario 64. This also has to do with the fact that the game prioritized additional one-off levels over expanding the existing levels, resulting in levels that leave little to no impact on me since I don't spend enough time in them, or exploring them, to really get a sense of why I should care about them. It's also to do with the fact that the star variety within levels is weak at best: 5 stars compared to SM64's 7 means that obviously there will be less variety, but Galaxy chose to handle this by including the challenge comets, which - while interesting for introducing a challenge SM64 doesn't have - ends up hindering the feeling that the level has any worth, because that means 2 stars are effectively identical.

(It's especially egregious in levels like Beach Bowl and Sea Slide: in Beach Bowl the challenge comet is a tiny section of the level that has very little to do with anything else in the level where you ALREADY had to get a star - meaning only 3 of the 5 stars in Beach Bowl actually take place in the real level - and in Sea Slide the challenge comet is a race... coming after two other races, meaning only 2 of the 5 stars involve actually searching for a star, and one of those is achieved by going to a little miniplanet that has nothing to do with the actual sea slide. Compare Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks. They had the issue of that they both involved a star where you had to swim through rings in a vent, and Dire Dire Docks had "swim through the manta's rings", which are similar and not fun either, but that's 3 out of 14 stars instead of 5/6 out of 10 stars. They came up with far more and they had more space to fill!)

There are a lot of fun points in Galaxy, and I won't deny the game is enjoyable. But it's a hell of a lot less memorable than SM64, in part because the choices of what they included for star missions are nothing short of really shitty at times.

Point being, this is a conclusion I drew myself and no matter how many reviews I ever see singing Galaxy's praises this will never change the fact that I personally believe SM64 is the better game, and I personally enjoy it. Fuck what the critics think. If Enter the Dragonfly, or Sonic 06, or Big Rigs over the Road Racing, or ET for Atari, or hell, something that is a good game but less beloved like Gates to Infinity (which by critics' standards is the poorer offering compared to the first two games), is your favorite game, and if you have a reason to love it more than whatever else is available, who the fuck cares if it's not as good of a game according to people whose opinions and views on what makes an enjoyable game are by default going to differ from yours?

If you enjoy something, you shouldn't need outside validation to tell you that it's a thing worth enjoying.

Nitro Indigo

Thank you! (Great to see some GTI love!)

By the way, my favourite video game is Kirby's Dream Land 3. Just Saiyan.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Altissimo

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on May 21, 2016, 10:29:07 AMThank you! (Great to see some GTI love!)

lol I never actually played GTI i was just using an example of something that was less highly rated than similar games

QuoteBy the way, my favourite video game is Kirby's Dream Land 3. Just Saiyan.

das legit. i prefer it over Super Star personally haha there's another "non standard" opinion for u

Nebbles

Alti's right, you really need to stop basing your opinions on what everyone else thinks.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Nitro Indigo

I can't get into most SNES games, for some reason. A Link to the Past and Secret of Mana, and Super Star all feel too clunky for some reason, but I can get into the Oracles and the first three Kirby games just fine. DX I can understand why people like these games, but... they're just not for me. Anti-nostalgia?

Maelstrom

Quote from: Nebbles on May 21, 2016, 10:52:54 AMAlti's right, you really need to stop basing your opinions on what everyone else thinks.
This can be a very bad thing, but isn't inherently evil. Remember that not all of us, myself included, have time to try everything. so I'm not able to form opinions when I don't have time to play it. Saying a game is bad because of other people might be wrong, but saying you've heard the game is bad and that's why you haven't played it isn't.

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on May 21, 2016, 10:55:24 AMI can't get into most SNES games, for some reason.
Try Chrono Trigger

mikey

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 21, 2016, 11:55:32 AMThis can be a very bad thing, but isn't inherently evil. Remember that not all of us, myself included, have time to try everything. so I'm not able to form opinions when I don't have time to play it. Saying a game is bad because of other people might be wrong, but saying you've heard the game is bad and that's why you haven't played it isn't.
you haven't read her posts yet
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Nitro Indigo

Should I get the DS or Virtual Console version of Chrono Trigger?