News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Favorite band/orchestral composer

Started by Dan The Tuba Man, October 21, 2009, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan The Tuba Man

I was just wondering who everyone considered to be their favorite composers. Personally I'm a big fan of Frank Ticheli. Sanctuary is probably my favorite piece, it really captures the esscence of music to me. His other stuff such as Blue Shades is also really amazing. Another favorite conducter of mine is Grainger, I loved playing children's march.

SirIngusBingus

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.

And Chopin.

Seeker

Uh, I'm pretty sure Chopin was exclusively piano.. unless you're talking about the concertos? Or am I just horribly wrong here?

Brahms, Wagner, Beethoven, and Smetana mainly for me. Especially Beethoven.
This is a signature.

universe-X

Koji Kondo and ANYTHING (ANYTHING!!!) that has to do with him... nuff' said

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Seeker on October 22, 2009, 01:39:29 PMUh, I'm pretty sure Chopin was exclusively piano.. unless you're talking about the concertos? Or am I just horribly wrong here?

No, Chopin was exclusively piano. The concertos were written because it was the proper thing to do at the time. He simply used the orchestra as a vessel for the piano. Now if Ingus was reffering to some orchestrations of his work, the so be it.

Beethoven, Liszt, Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, J. Strauss Jr., Handel...you see where this is going.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Brassman388

Nobuo Uematsu, Koichi Sugiyama, Kenji Yamamoto, Dave Wise, Modest Moussourski, Gustav Holst, W.A Mozart, Maurice Ravel, Johannes Brahms, Aaron Copland, Antonin D'vorak, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Vince Guaraldi.

Quartetto Gelato, Kronos Quartett, Chamber Choir Kiev, NHK Symphony.

Seeker

I had completely forgotten about Ravel. Man, he was an awesome orchestrator. IIRC, the only dynamic to appear in Bolero is 'mp.' The crescendo is done by adding instruments. Or so I heard.

Also, John Williams.
This is a signature.

SirIngusBingus

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 22, 2009, 07:41:52 PM
Quote from: Seeker on October 22, 2009, 01:39:29 PMUh, I'm pretty sure Chopin was exclusively piano.. unless you're talking about the concertos? Or am I just horribly wrong here?

No, Chopin was exclusively piano. The concertos were written because it was the proper thing to do at the time. He simply used the orchestra as a vessel for the piano. Now if Ingus was reffering to some orchestrations of his work, the so be it.

Beethoven, Liszt, Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, J. Strauss Jr., Handel...you see where this is going.

I wasn't aware we were talking about orchestral work exclusively.
In the case, Bob Marley.

PseudoMario16

i like shostakovich alot. i dont really like grainger because he kind of killed Common Practice with lincolnshire posy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1dvSlvZLG8 - its... its... beautiful!

Nana1Popo2

Quote from: PseudoMario16 on April 07, 2010, 06:46:22 PMi like shostakovich alot.

were playing some shostakovich in my band :P (just thought id throw that out there)
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Brassman388

Quote from: PseudoMario16 on April 07, 2010, 06:46:22 PMi dont really like grainger because he kind of killed Common Practice with lincolnshire posy...

Or any kind of practice for that matter. County Gardens is the worst.

dahans

I love Rica Magsumoto's and Ikue Ootani's works. They have made an marvellous orchestral soundtrack for the first pokemon season. (Check out on youtube: it's called Pokemon Sound Anime collection :D)

I adore the viennese classic composers: Beethoven, Mozart and Haydn. But there is hardly a composer I  hate....
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

universe-X

I'm pretty sure a few people hate me as a composer :P Just because of how "dedicated" I am to it...

Maretocks

Quote from: universe-X on October 22, 2009, 04:31:06 PMKoji Kondo and ANYTHING (ANYTHING!!!) that has to do with him... nuff' said

No. Not enough said. Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, Nobuo Uematsu, Jun Ishikawa. Hehe, I was looking through the artists on my iTunes. About half is Koji. ^^

I must listen to some classical music.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>