News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Which would be more correct?

Started by QWERTYkid911, July 12, 2009, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QWERTYkid911

In the key of B Major, would be more correct to write a chromatic scale from A# to F like...

1.  A#  B  C  C#  D  D#  E  F

or

2.  A#  B  B#  C#  C##  D#  E  E#

?

Petpetfood

I would choose the second one, and welcome to the forums, haven't seen you around here.
*Gives hand shake.*
The first one would be weird, because using naturals in a chromatic scale for me is hard to play. Double sharps and flats are the way to go.

QWERTYkid911

Thanks!  I agree.  It creates much less accidentals.  A few double-sharps should be expected in a song in B Major with B+ being the main chord.   :)

KefkaticFanatic

I thought you weren't allowed to have double notes?

me irl
[close]

QWERTYkid911

You mean from C# to C##?  Double notes is basically the definition of a chromatic scale.  Otherwise, it'd be diatonic.  :P

KefkaticFanatic

I know that a double sharp is okay, but I mean writing C twice in a row and such.  Perhaps you can, I don't think I've learned chromatic scales.  Or forgot them.

me irl
[close]

QWERTYkid911

Sorry, that's what I meant.  A chromatic scale can have chromatic half-steps (A - A#,  Bb - B, ect.), so it canhave  two of the same letters in a row.  Diatonic scales (Major, Minor, ect.) cannot use two of the same letters in a row.  They are entirely composed of diatonic half-steps (A# - B, E - F, ect.).

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

megaman64

well in most of the music  that i play (lots of styles) when the notes are going up, use the notes with the given key signature, and if necessary, the double sharp, and same goes with descending, the notes with the key, naturals, and if necessary, flats.