Going down an octave...

Started by Metal_Yoshi_Egg, August 06, 2008, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal_Yoshi_Egg

Ok, so I downloaded finale, I think it's great, etc etc.
However, I play the cello, and as all of these songs are composed for piano I have a dilemma
see, I can just change the instrument from piano to cello and see what it sounds like, or I can copy+paste it into a cello (bass clef) document. However, the notes then become ridiculously high and difficult to play. So, is there any way I can lower an entire piece (or just a note) by an octave, nice and easy or would I have to delete each note, figure out what note to replace it with, etc.

thanks for the help!

Davey

Hm, I can't say I am familiar with the cello, but what you can do if it is finale notepad is under tools or options or something (just look for this): Show Everything in Concert Pitch, do this on a Document with only a Cello, and before doing the "Show" make sure that the cello page has the same key as the page you want to copy and paste. So copy it, then click "Show In Concert Pitch" again and you should have the option to move notes up or down. Move them Down.

If this helps...

megaman64

actually to move everything down and octave use the mass edit tool
highlight everything (if its more than one page, then click on the first meas. (then use shift+right to highlight all the measures, or u can use ctrl+a) then right click and select "transpose" then u should be able to pick perfect octave down and it should move all of the notes

and btw, the concert pitch "trick" wont work here because FYI, the cello plays in concert pitch (the same as the piano) so the notes wont move when you select the concert pitch...thing..

Davey

Oh... I didn't know that Cello was in concert pitch.  :-[

Tranzlater

Shift + Down moves notes down an octave  ::) That's easier than all the complicated Concert pitch crap if you really can't be bothered.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

Brawler4Ever

Funny...I have the regular finale, and Those don't work for me(any of them)  ???

Anyway, here's how I do it(if you want the entire sheet lowered an octave):
1. Go to the "Key Signature Tool." It has the Key of B Flat Major sign on it.
2. Press the button next to "down" and choose a random Key sig that is not the one you want.
3. Click ok, then go back to the screen.
4. Choose the Key sig that you want, and make sure that "down" is still chosen.
5. Click ok.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Tranzlater

Never mind. If you don't understand,
Never mind. It isn't important.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

Sir Awesomesauce

For the regular version of finale, Brawler's trick is the one I use. Key Signature->Change it to something dumb with the "down" choice selected->Accept->Key Signature->Go back to the desired Key Signature->Keep the "move down" selected-> done :D
You should read my post, it's probably above this.

megaman64

well of course the key signiture trick will move the notes down, but it would make it harder (or in some cases, easier) to play. well of course this is my opinion, but if you're going to move all the notes in a particular song, the shift+down is too slow, because you have to do it note by note. the mass edit (looks like a dotted box) then right click and select transpose. choose "down" in one box and "perfect octave" in the other; this trick also helps if you need to transpose to different instruments (for example, piano or anything else in C, to say, trumpet (which is a Bb instrument, most of the time), select "up"  and "major second"

WiiMan96

Olimar12345

Quote from: megaman64 on August 08, 2009, 12:07:30 PMwell of course the key signiture trick will move the notes down, but it would make it harder (or in some cases, easier) to play. well of course this is my opinion, but if you're going to move all the notes in a particular song, the shift+down is too slow, because you have to do it note by note. the mass edit (looks like a dotted box) then right click and select transpose. choose "down" in one box and "perfect octave" in the other; this trick also helps if you need to transpose to different instruments (for example, piano or anything else in C, to say, trumpet (which is a Bb instrument, most of the time), select "up"  and "major second"
This doesnt work 4 me. What version of finale do u have?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SirIngusBingus

Megaman. That guy who started this thread, Metal_Yoshi_Egg? He only ever posted once. Last year.

Man, there have been a lot of bumps lately...