News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

MaestroUGC's Compositions *In Progress - Symphony No. 2 in D minor - Mvt. I-IV*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 23, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Spoiler
Piano Concerto No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 13

I figured I'd just give it a shot, This is my most popular orchestral composition at the moment, but is easily not my best when compared to my other music I'm currently working on.

Mov. I - http://www.mediafire.com/file/mmtzhdmmlwm/1. Allegro.MUS
Mov. II - http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwkm0mztjni/2. Adagio.MUS
Mov. III - http://www.mediafire.com/file/5igumk4d3oz/3. Allegro-Presto.MUS
[close]

String Quartet in D, Op. 10

Symphony No. 4 "Civility" in C Minor, Op. 22
This is my greatest work to date.

YouTube

MUS Files
[close]

Grand Galop Chromatique

Cello Concerto

Barbaric Dance No. 1, "Dance of the New Age"

Ragtime

Apollo, Bringer of the Sun
YouTube
MUS

This is a symphonic poem that chronicles the journey Apollo takes as he carries the Sun across the sky, and its effects on the Earth below. Each phase is signaled by the chiming bells, marking the time.

I. Dawn - It opens with the break of twilight, the light flickering across the sky. Apollo's arrival is signaled and the sun begins to rise with an exclamation as the world begins to stir.
II. Morning - The world is alive and moving, the orchestra plays a pastoral theme, with the horns singing out in praise of Apollo.
III. Noon - The Sun takes its place at the top of the sky, and the Earth below feels its brutal heat.
IV. Afternoon - The Sun makes its down from its peak, and the children are outside at play. Marked by the winds and a light nature, the orchestra relates this brief scherzando with a climax as the Apollo begins to make his leave.
V. Sunset - The Sun begins to set, with a reprise of the sunrise, the orchestra majestically bids Apollo a farewell as the light begins to leave the sky.
VI. Night - The Earth lies calm as the people settle in their home for the night. A simple motif acts as a psuedo-lullaby that lulls the Earth into its slumber.
VII. Dusk - The Earth is cast in its darkness, the Night is full, and a final tension is released with the Moon taking its peak.
[close]

Fantasy for Organ
MUS
YouTube Be sure to listen to this, it sounds much better than Finale's stock organ sound.
[close]

New Year's Festival Oveture
MUS
YouTube
[close]

Symphony No. 1 in F Minor
Playlist

Six Waltzes
No. 1 in C
[close]

Polonaise in D
MUS

The Legend of Atlantis
Score
[close]

12 Short Pieces for Piano - "The Traveler Suite"
ZIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying my hand a scoring for a video game, check out some of my drafts:
VG Draft Playlist

I would just like some feedback, whether it be good or bad, as it would greatly help my writing, or at least fix some problems.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MaestroUGC

So, I've written a string quartet, anyone interested?

String Quartet in D, Op. 10

universe-X

As you've heard before, it all sounds awesome!

dahans

You could improve your piano skills. Since it's a piano concerto, it would be much more impressive if you include some 16th notes. The string quartet is great.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

MaestroUGC

Symphony No. 4 "Civility" in C Minor, Op. 22

This is my greatest work to date.

YouTube

MUS Files

Commentary is desired, be it good or bad.

universe-X

I'm gonna have to look at this tomorrow :P I'll leave my comments then.

MaestroUGC

universe-X

Sorry, I'll have to look at it when I get time. I've been busy :P

Concerto No.20 in D minor

Honestly?  I had to will myself to listen to it.  There are obviously some good elements that you are building and working on, but overall it just sounds too much like borrowed phrases and a bit immature for being so long.

MaestroUGC

Okay then, I thank you for your criticism. I'm curious as to what you mean by "borrowed phrases."

universe-X

YouTube's being extremely retarded today and I'm not able to access the MUS atm, :P add another day for me

Gooch

I actually thought that it sounded really good, to be honest. My main problems were that some phrases were just a bit too repetitive. It almost seemed like they were repeated for the sake of lenght of the piece. If you were to chop out a bunch of those situations where its the same thing over and over for 10 measures, or perhaps find a better means of linking the different phrases together in a manner that actually uses that time span efficiently, this will be an absolutely beautiful piece. The criticizing part of this is mainly directed toward the first movement, but it holds true in the other pieces. I think the second movement had the same issue. I though the fourth movement was very well paced, everything linked perfectly (not as repetitious, but still a factor in this one too) and I really thought the end was beautiful. The third piece was magnificient. I liked the fast elements, and thought the repetition in it was either non-existant or worked well with the piece. This is just a word of what I have noticed in difficult music (grade 5-6). That it holds the same theme throughout; doesn't really deviate from the 2 or three themes contained within. This makes it easier to play for actual musicians while still maintaining difficulty. So, if you feel its absolutely necessary to make multiple repeated phrases, stick 'em in faster pieces. That is my ameteur perspective on it. Overall, I give this good marks. I definately enjoyed listening.

universe-X

...what he said...

Just realized a little motif you could use though... like what Nintendo does...

If repeating becomes a problem, spread it across the other songs, and change the key. It then shows originality in different languages.

Nintendo's done this in many games: Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and they even deviated the SMB theme.

But, if you wanna keep the repetition, go ahead! If it's your style, keep it.

dahans

Quote from: MaestroUGC on March 17, 2010, 09:00:14 PMReally...no commentary?
I have already commented on youtube, but of course I must comment on NSM too.

I really feel honored that this symphony is dedicated to me. :D
Hence I am not allowed to critisise it. I do not really think it's too repetitive, but on the whole it seems a tiny littly bit too long.
I don't advise you to change it, keep it that way.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!