News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Quote from: Echo on May 26, 2014, 01:27:59 PMWhaaat?! No way! Are you sure there's not gonna be another season, 'cause they weren't even halfway through the plot...
Well, they've already gone down the OVA-path, which traditionally for many anime series means there won't ever be anything but OVAs from that point onwards, though of course that's just my speculation. I sure hope there'll be more. God, I loved the hell out of it!!! Onodera is the cutest thing ever.
Quote from: Echo on May 26, 2014, 01:27:59 PMAh well, just gonna say that I recommend Nisekoi too. Great show!
^

Quote from: zoroark1264 on May 26, 2014, 02:11:04 PMI started watching Death Note this morning and I gotta say I quite like it
It's really good at capturing the viewer in the first dozen episodes or so, but it gets really boring pretty fast, and while watching you start to notice that the whole "detective"-part of it is 99% guessing instead of deducting, which makes the plot just extremely unconvincing. And then there is plot holes on top of that...
The arc-changes are absolutely horrible: Its a typical example of the kind of manga that just drags on because of popularity, even though the author's imagination already dried out many chapters ago. This is quite standard in this modern-kinda horror-shounen, so I wouldn't really say you should be expecting any better, but as Death Note became so popular as it did, this also meant a greater degree of unnecessary extra stories that keeps getting added on top of an already chaotic mess of conflicts.
About two thirds of the story is just the result of dragging on extra material. Somewhere in about the middle of the show it's like you've forgotten what the show was even about in the beginning - the way you looked at the different characters have just been turn on its head at this point, as the goals of both sides have just changed completely.
I must admit though that the series' ending did a good job of neatly wrapping up everything, and at the same time putting the most important elements in the main focus. At least it was an entertaining and sorta addicting anime, I'll give it that.
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I just finished Kimi to Boku, and holy shit, it's art. One of the best comedies I've seen, and it's not even non-sensical. If anyone's seen Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, it's very much the same atmosphere as that, though less slapstick and more depth. There's some romance too, and it's pulled off so incredibly good. It's been a very long time since I've been this satisfied with a show.
Everyone, give it a watch, it will calm your soul! :D
Birdo for Smash

braix

I reached that part. Death Note. He died. I'm done.
Which anime to watch now?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Bubbles

I started Nisekoi on a whim (and love it), and I've gotten a pretty good chunk watched so far. I'm kinda in the mood for a really sad movie right now though - any suggestions? If not I'm just going to keep watching Nisekoi lol

Quote from: zoroark1264 on June 01, 2014, 08:12:48 AMI reached that part. Death Note. He died. I'm done.
Which anime to watch now?
I'm not sure what you've already watched (besides Soul Eater), but Fullmetal Alchemist is a must see if you haven't yet. Soul Eater is pretty tough to compare other series to, but I'd check out Blue Exorcist too.

SuperFireKirby

Blue Exorcist is alright. Mostly watch it because Amaimon and Mephisto are wonderfully fun characters. The english dub would be whole lot better if if Bryce fuckin' Papenbrook wasn't the main protagonist. I hate his voice SO MUCH(partially because I associated it with SOA, which can die in fire). But he's balanced out by a healthy dose of Johnny Yong Bosch so it's kay.

And if you watch Fullmetal Alchemist, make sure you watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood first. By far the superior of the two series'.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Jompa on May 31, 2014, 03:17:55 PMI just finished Kimi to Boku, and holy shit, it's art. One of the best comedies I've seen, and it's not even non-sensical. If anyone's seen Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, it's very much the same atmosphere as that, though less slapstick and more depth. There's some romance too, and it's pulled off so incredibly good. It's been a very long time since I've been this satisfied with a show.
Everyone, give it a watch, it will calm your soul! :D
I watched the first season of Kimi to Boku last Sunday, and I don't regret it one bit. It's great and got me laugh and the artstyle is just fabulous. I love the characters a lot. Shun <3

Actually I think I'll start on the second season right now.

SuperFireKirby

Just started Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. It was hyped up to me by my friends to be one of the best animes ever(or maybe it was the manga?), but so far it's very okay. It's plot structure is extremely simple so far as well(get challenged by strong dude, train a bunch, beat up strong dude, repeat) which is kind of a turn off the keep watching.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jompa

I don't know if anyone else is following on Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara - I am, mainly because I literally can not get enough of the OP and ED.
The show started out pretty good, but it soon became clear that it wasn't actually all that good after all.
I think the main problem with the show is that if you filtered out all the romance harem only leaving the plot, the show would be what, like 30 minutes long? Nothing wrong with harems, it tends to be kinda pleasing sometimes, but it is just WAAAYYY TOOOO MUUUUCH!!!!!
A big no-no is how it barely carries on to the next episode. After a week you don't even remember what the show's about. But even worse is how even if you watched it all in one go, the plot is too random anyways, taking away too much of the excitement. I would've absolutely loved it if the plot was presented good enough (it actually reminds me a lot of Little Busters, which is one of the main reasons I've stuck with this show), but it has been an entire season already, and where have the story taken us? Nowhere. It's kinda painful. Almost the entire time while watching you sit with the feeling that the original author wasn't taking it seriously at all, or even just joking around.

But it's kinda picking up now at the end. Just too bad it's almost over, because I really wouldn't mind more of it (as long as it would actually stay interesting...). Somehow, I really like the show, but it would be a far stretch to call it good. The voice acting is pretty amazing though. And dayum, the OP & ED.
Birdo for Smash

Dude

Quote from: Dude on April 10, 2014, 03:13:12 PMI'm stoked for the second season of Free!

Anyone else or is it just me?
IT'S HEREEEE!!!!!!!! :)

Bubbles

I'M ABOUT TO START IT RIGHT NOW I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL DAY

Jompa

Guys, I just read myself up to date on the manga REAL (79 chapters), and it's AMAZING. It's about weelchairs, basketball and weelchair basketball told through three parallell stories about three different main characters. It's absolutely amazing.
Birdo for Smash

Dude

Free ED spoilers: http://tachibaanas.tumblr.com/post/90588893277/badwolfonbakerstreet-nanasemakoto-guys-they

also jompa i cant take your opinions seriously if you cant spell wheelchairs and parallel

SlowPokemon

Friendly reminder his first language is not English
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

Friendly reminder that I don't use capitals or punctuation when I am joking around.

Jompa

lol SAO II starts airing today.
I'm gonna watch it to see if it's as shit as the first season
Birdo for Smash