Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo

Quote from: Andoing on March 01, 2014, 06:45:43 AMwatched Eyeshield 21

Here is a little summary of that anime its very funny

Kobayakawa Sena is a freshman in highschool. Despite his previous decisions to change his life, he finds himself in the exactly same place he was in during elementary school and junior high: a push over and an errand boy. However, this changes when Hiruma, the most feared person in his school and president of the American Football Club, notices Sena and forces him to join the Football Team. Now Sena will become Eyeshield 21, a mysterious running back with lighting fast speed.

Eyeshield 21's one of my favourite series. I think it's the characters that really won it over for me, with great development for most of the cast, along with a good balance of humour and drama. Definitely recommend the manga over the anime though, especially for the latter arcs since the anime gets really lazy and stuffed with a bunch of filler.

Another interesting manga that I haven't seen mentioned is Koe no Katachi/A Voice's Shape, which is a bit more of a serious drama/slice-of-life story, and features more realistic characters and plots. It started off as a one-shot, with the story being about an elementary school with a deaf girl and a boy who bullies her, while the rest of the manga depicts their high-school lives and explores how their childhoods affected them socially and psychologically. Definitely an interesting read, and there plenty of touching moments too.

Yugi

KefkaticFanatic

wowww watched entirety of FMA Brotherhood in a weekend + a few days.  Started it after rec by a friend and then got quickly addicted x.x

I highly recommend dis one.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on March 08, 2014, 07:47:48 PMwowww watched entirety of FMA Brotherhood in a weekend + a few days.  Started it after rec by a friend and then got quickly addicted x.x

I highly recommend dis one.
Yessss good. I think thats what I did too, which was even more surprising since it was my first anime (besides Melancholy of course).

SuperFireKirby

Yeah, Brotherhood holds my personal record for most episodes of a show I've watched in a day(after Avatar anyways). Dat show was fuggin addicting. And one of the best evurrrr.

Also, anyone wanna recommend me a really good anime movie? I'm board.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SlowPokemon

You've seen most of the mainstream Miyazaki films, but try Porco Rosso, it's the type of thing you'd like. It's excellent and badass

Bubbles

5 Centimeters Per Second or The Girl who Leapt Through Time are supposed to be really good, though I haven't watched either. The only other one (besides Ghibli movies) thats coming to mind is Wolf Children Ame and Yuki.

ninja'd Oh yes I liked Porco Rosso, and you'd probably like that much more

SuperFireKirby

I do like badass things...

EDIT: Okay, so Porco Rosso isn't really what I'd consider badass. But it's probably one of the most "pick-me-up"est movies I've ever seen. It honestly might be my new favorite Ghibli film. I absolutely loved it.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jompa

Quote from: Bubbles on March 08, 2014, 08:27:42 PM5 Centimeters Per Second is supposed to be really good
It's not that good.
Birdo for Smash

Echo

Quote from: Bubbles on March 08, 2014, 08:27:42 PM5 Centimeters Per Second is supposed to be really good

Eh, the first third's alright, then it becomes kinda meh. Definitely prefer the manga adaptation, since it elaborates on the characters so much more. Just for example, the movie glosses over a brief childhood scene for like 30 seconds before jumping to a time-skip to kick off the plot, whereas the manga has a whole 70-page chapter detailing the same characters' childhoods to show why they came to like each other in the first place. I also felt that the movie had awkward pacing, while the manga balanced the focus on each character better, with the manga even continuing the plot a bit past where the movie ends.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on March 08, 2014, 08:34:11 PMI do like badass things...

EDIT: Okay, so Porco Rosso isn't really what I'd consider badass. But it's probably one of the most "pick-me-up"est movies I've ever seen. It honestly might be my new favorite Ghibli film. I absolutely loved it.

I can get on board with that. But porco himself is totes badass

Bubbles

The Space Dandy and Noragami episodes this weekend were both just about my favorite of the series

Also last night I watched Paprika, and it was kind of a disappointment. I thought the concept was interesting (a machine that allows you to enter others' dreams) but I couldn't even finish the whole movie

Dude

So in the Kill la Kill OST there's this song in english and when I first heard it I was like "Wait, isn't that the singer in Rhythm Heaven Fever??"

It fucking was.

Took a while to figure out the name but yeah, I feel accomplished.

Nebbles

I just finished Steins;gate a while ago. Highly recommend it.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel