News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

I just finished "Shoujo Kakumei Utena", which I've been watching for almost two months now. Even though there are "only" 39 episodes, I wonder why it took so long, because I have finished shows that are longer (much longer) than that in less time. Hm, perhaps I just haven't had the time..

Anyways; Utena! It is brilliant! Anyone ever watched Mawaru Penguindrum? It is just like that, except idk 15 times better! :D
Shoujo Kakumei Utena was made by that Ikuhara guy, back in 1997, and is considered (at least by the wikipedia people) to be an important work in anime history.
Ikuhara haven't been so active in anime after that, but in 2011 he came back with Mawaru Penguindrum, which had even greater success, mostly because it's aimed at a bigger audience and so on.

Back to Utena:
It was amazing. Utena is the second most catching show I've ever seen (Higurashi wins that one). And the music - the OST is the second best OST from an anime I've ever heard (Hokuto no Ken wins).

But even though I say all of this, I'm not sure I should recommend it to everyone.. :-/

Just like Penguindrum, it's weird. It's deep. There's a lot of interpretation required. The world is extremely surrealistic, and it more or less plays on our thoughts - it is genius, but if someone doesn't want to think to much, they probably won't like it.
The story itself is about fencing, romance, king-of-the-hill, comedy, psychological, drama, mystery, and at the end of the day it's juri too.
So not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely mine :)
Birdo for Smash

Pit0010

DEADMAN WONDERLAND IS FINISHED! D:

BUT ENDING SO BEAUTIFUL :')
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Jompa

Yeah, so what's up with like literally every popular manga ending this month?
Birdo for Smash

Yugi

Quote from: Jompa on July 31, 2013, 04:57:24 AMYeah, so what's up with like literally every popular manga ending this month?
Although, as far as I know, two of the big three are just getting started in their arcs.

Bubbles

All I know is Soul Eater. What are the other ones?

Yugi

Deadman Wonderland, and Naruto I think.

Jompa

I just noticed that a bunch of manga are just drastically ending, all in July and August..
Some of them (the most popular ones) are these:
Gantz, Dorohedoro, Initial D, Soul Eater, Deadman Wonderland, Sket Dance, Binbougami ga!, 07-Ghost, Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, The K manga, Needless, The Aoi Hana manga, Code:Breaker, Hourou Musuko.
It's like a curse :o
Birdo for Smash

Pit0010

I know Vampire Knight ended and Cage of Eden a few months ago. :/

But the ending for cage of eden was very crap...=_=
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Jompa

The anime "Nana" is amazing! The manga is probably better, idk, but the anime was brilliant in so many ways. Music was amazing, humor was great, it was all amazing!
Fairly long show - 47 episodes - in my case they flew by in three days, that's how good it was.
Birdo for Smash

Bubbles

Just finished Tsuritama, and it got me completely out of my bad mood. It was a great break from all the heartbreaking shows I've been watching too

Bubbles

I started Penguindrum after Jompa and Slow both recommended it, but I'm trying to find out why its rated R+. Violence and profanity? So far theres been none of that...only a lot of romantic fantasizing

SlowPokemon

It's rated TV-14 actually (according to my DVD)

And it starts out one way, but by the time you hit the halfway mark it will have changed to a completely different tone.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

Oh. I guess an official DVD is more reliable than myanimelist. And that's good, I was beginning to think this wasn't my type of show.

SlowPokemon

Yep. Episodes 3-8 are the weakest if the series by far.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

Quote from: Dude on May 06, 2013, 01:39:19 PMI'm bored, what should I watch?
I'm feel like watching a SoL now, but i don't know which one.

I forgot what all i've watched so just give me a name and I'll say if i've watched it or not~